By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - VGAs 2012 was a let down.. Does it have relevance?

What did you think of the VGAs?

Relevant and Entertaining 16 29.63%

About as cool as MTV 38 70.37%

Total:54

Do you guys think the VGAs would be better off without all of the slapstick comedy?

How would a more formal award show for video games fare? Instead of celebrity hosts and presenters, they have game personalities (Voice Actors, wtc). In addition, open the show with a montage of the many games that were out during the year. Having more in-game music being performed and more time to actually present each award.

Around the Network

There's some good ideas here

The_Botman said:

Do you guys think the VGAs would be better off without all of the slapstick comedy?

How would a more formal award show for video games fare? Instead of celebrity hosts and presenters, they have game personalities (Voice Actors, wtc). In addition, open the show with a montage of the many games that were out during the year. Having more in-game music being performed and more time to actually present each award.

It would certainly make the industry look like less of a joke and might actually get me to pay attention to them.

you liked Samuel ? imo he came across as a one-trick-pony .. this was the first vga I watched and I got bored by him pretty quickly, are there really people that still find him funny after he possibly did the same thing for 4 years?

in my opinion
the bads:
- half of those 2 hours were ads and even worse it was the same ads in every break
- every single one of the moderations was pretty boring
- too much stuff we already knew about in the so called "world premiere"s

the goods:
- Dark Souls 2 announcement and that "The Phantom Pain" thing, whether or not it was MGS in disguise
- the orchestral medley

Awards shows aren't usually relevant. They're just opinions. However, I have nothing against the VGAs, as they are probably a source of pride to those who are nominated. Recognition for quality work is never a bad thing.

This year's show, to me, was one of the best yet. It had some fantastic music, which was nice. I hope the orchestral performances remain. Most importantly, it was a breakthrough show for downloadable games. It ripped through the bias against them pretty well and showed that the VGAs don't necessarily have to be all about sequels to "blockbuster" shooter franchises. I thought that aspect was awesome.

For the people watching, yeah, it's mostly about the game reveals. It was good this year, with TLOU and "The Phantom Pain" being the highlights, though it wasn't great, as some of the other reveals weren't all that special.

Still, I have no idea why people get upset about it. It's just an awards show, even if it's the biggest one. Other places will crown other games as winners. I think it's a good thing that we can have several different titles win "GOTY"; gaming is, after all, about personal preferences.

Around the Network

Aside from the trailers the VGA's are a joke imo. 

Nintendo and PC gamer

i'm still shocked how an actress like jessica alba can be so bad in faking her personality on the stage. omg every word, especially when she was talking to the people in the first row was so bad faked...i mean, isn't that the job of an actor, to be at least decent in playing a role?

its as stupid as that guy who runs it looks

Tsubasa Ozora

Keiner kann ihn bremsen, keiner macht ihm was vor. Immer der richtige Schuss, immer zur richtigen Zeit. Superfussball, Fairer Fussball. Er ist unser Torschützenkönig und Held.

ethomaz said:

For me that was one of the best VGA I already watched... better than some E3 conferences.

This year even the awards were deserved.

i honestly thought it was better then the sony, nintendo and M$ E3 2012 press conferences 

It was meh, but certainly better than what I remember from the last one. 

I want them to do away with the cheesy jokes. A few are okay, and this year was certainly an improvement over last year, but jeez there are still so many. Also for a rewards show, there was very little reward presenting. They should at  least make sure every game that wins a nomination gets in the spotlight.