By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS3 is #1 for Netflix Streaming in the Living Room

sales2099 said:
No actual percentages?

And worldwide? Well ya.....considering Japan.

Netflix isn't in japan, only eu and usa. We don't even get it here in NZ and im pretty sure AUS doesn't get it either.

Around the Network
NobleTeam360 said:

My point is why should PS fans be happy about something so small? 

Why shouldn't they? ITs good news for the PS3. Good news = something to be happy about.

Sony has been aiming to be the "entertainment hub" in the living room with the PS3, and with this, they have at least achieved the No.1 spot for Netflix streaming. For the time being at least.

Its like asking why I should be happy when someone gives me a BigMAc from mcdonalds. Its just a burger, but damn! Free burger! That makes me happy.

Honestly, do you even think things through before posting?

Asking why someone should be happy? really? REAAALLY?!

think-man said:
sales2099 said:
No actual percentages?

And worldwide? Well ya.....considering Japan.

Netflix isn't in japan, only eu and usa. We don't even get it here in NZ and im pretty sure AUS doesn't get it either.

I didn't see that...someone actually thought that Netflix was available worldwide? lol!

LAME!

Also, even if you try using a US PSN account to get access to Netflix, the network will recognize that you're somehwere where Netflix isnt supported. No idea how they do it, probably through IP or something.

It's no surprise Netflix is bigger on PS3 than anywhere else. PSN is free for a start and in the UK at least it's main competitor Lovefilm doesn't stream HD or surround sound on that console and Sky isn't available either. Unless things have changed?

One thing I don't get is wanting to watch a film on a puny little handheld with stereo or mono sound. Has never appealed to me. Definitely not how the producers and directors intended it to be watched.

NobleTeam360 said:
ils411 said:
NobleTeam360 said:

Isn't it also "grasping for straws" ( as you put it) te same thing when PS users get excited that more people use netflix on that decice than 360?

How is something that is true, at least when that report/survey came out, is "grasping at straws"? PS fans/users are happy that the PS3 is used to stream netflix more than any other device, how is being happy for that "grasping at straws"?

Trying to make excuses and trying to down play this info to try and make their "prefered" platform look better is grasping at straws.

Much like how, you're trying to make it look like "ps fans being happy for the PS3 being the no.1 netflix streaming device" seem like something negative when clearly it isnt.

Pretty lame of you to make such an argument as it makes completely no sense.

My point is why should PS fans be happy about something so small? .

Sony is a hardware company, and anywhere where they are the favorite in multimedia is a plus for them. 

Around the Network
kowenicki said:
ils411 said:

Its sad how some people are grasping at straws

Netflix is only available in the Americas and Europe.

Here's a quick look at console break down per region in millions (base on VGC data)

XBOX360 PS3
NA 40.6 25
Europe 22.4 27.3
Japan 1.5 8.7
Others 7.2 8.7
Total 71.7 69.7

From here,

With Netflix Access

XBOX360 63
PS3 52.5

Soooo... the Xbox360 install base has about 10.5million more consoles located in regions where Netflix is available.

Lets also not forget the fact that not all of Europe has access to Netflix which makes the Xbox360 install base with Netflix access even larger.

It should also be noted that the Xbox360 and PS3 are not the only devices that support Netflix.

For the PS3 to be the No. 1 Netflix streaming device is quite an achievement considering there are less PS3s in regions where Netflix is available as compared to the X360.

People can bring up stuff like "but the X360 has more apps and shit". but it doesn't change the fact that the ps3 IS THE streaming device of choice for Netflix even surppasing the X360 which has MORE Consoles in the wild.

Keep trying to grasp at straws if you wish, you're just looking foolish and desperate.

If I have netflix but I have a superior cheaper and more flexible service or number of services.  Which will I use?  I may use one of the others or a combination.

If I only have netflix. which will I use.  netflix.

That was Selnors, perfectly valid, point.

Its also a plus that Netflix owners on the PS3 get to rent Blu Rays and any normal DVD gets upscaled. 360 owners must look to another device.

selnor said:
Sal.Paradise said:
selnor said:
Jay520 said:
selnor said:
Its much harder for Netflix on Xbox 360.

Theres much more options than on PS3.

360 has

Netflix
Lovefilm
Xbox Video
Now TV
Sky
BlinkBox

And 2 more I cant remember.

On my PS3 I have a choice of 3.

Lovefilm
Netflix
PS Video Store ( Which lacks massively in comparison to Xbox Video )

So if I used my PS3 for any service it would be Netflix.

But the 360 has so much more content and options I use

Netflix, Xbox Video and Now TV combined on Live. The ultimate HD streaming service is what Live is.
Oh and just started using the new NBA app.

This post made me LOL seriously. Bravo, selnor.

It would because its full of sense. 

To disregard this information and say it has no baring on the usage of each platform is well you work it out.

Outside US PSN offers noting even close to Live in comparison in terms of apps and streaming services. PSN UK 6 toal apps. Live UK 30 total apps. Only Netflix and PS video store in UK. Live has now got 8 different options.

Yes, and what's amazing is that, with so far fewer apps and services available on the PS3, more people decide to spend their time consuming multimedia on that machine's Netflix service than on the Xbox, even with all those other apps and online services available that the PS3 does not have on offer, and with the Xbox having a Netflix app of its own. 

Clearly, there must be another factor not related to the breadth of services on offer that is resulting in this situation. 

I think you miss te point. Because there is less choice on PSN the users are automatically choosing the only service Netflix. Whereas the greater coice on Live results in some not evening opting for Netflix at all. Because there are others they may prefer from their taste/choice. So I would expect less users for 1 brand on a system with more choice than 1 with no choice. And in my country the only viable offer on PSN.

So in a further look. I would expect the total usage of streaming services on Live to far exceed PSN total. Lives will just be more evenly spread over the differing services Live offer Worldwide.

No. Netflix is the most popular streaming service, if PS3 beats the 360 in this regard, then nothing on 360 beat the PS3 as far as streaming goes. Thats a simple fact. You can add all the smaller apps like Lovefilm(wich is also available on ps3), it still wouldn't add 1/10th of what is streamed on PS3s Netflix. Its that huge.

One of the reasons PS3 is bigger is because it doesn't have 2 paywalls to access Netflix. You just subscribe and thats it.

ils411 said:
NobleTeam360 said:

My point is why should PS fans be happy about something so small? 

Why shouldn't they? ITs good news for the PS3. Good news = something to be happy about.

Sony has been aiming to be the "entertainment hub" in the living room with the PS3, and with this, they have at least achieved the No.1 spot for Netflix streaming. For the time being at least.

Its like asking why I should be happy when someone gives me a BigMAc from mcdonalds. Its just a burger, but damn! Free burger! That makes me happy.

Honestly, do you even think things through before posting?

Asking why someone should be happy? really? REAAALLY?!

Dude you take forever to give a reply. I'm asking why are PS fans happy over something that doesn't affect them in the slightest way. With regard to what you said in your second sentence Sony has been aiming for the entertainment hub as you put it, I can see why Sony employees would be happy not fans and yes Really. 

kowenicki said:
Turkish said:
selnor said:
Sal.Paradise said:
selnor said:
Jay520 said:
selnor said:
Its much harder for Netflix on Xbox 360.

Theres much more options than on PS3.

360 has

Netflix
Lovefilm
Xbox Video
Now TV
Sky
BlinkBox

And 2 more I cant remember.

On my PS3 I have a choice of 3.

Lovefilm
Netflix
PS Video Store ( Which lacks massively in comparison to Xbox Video )

So if I used my PS3 for any service it would be Netflix.

But the 360 has so much more content and options I use

Netflix, Xbox Video and Now TV combined on Live. The ultimate HD streaming service is what Live is.
Oh and just started using the new NBA app.

This post made me LOL seriously. Bravo, selnor.

It would because its full of sense. 

To disregard this information and say it has no baring on the usage of each platform is well you work it out.

Outside US PSN offers noting even close to Live in comparison in terms of apps and streaming services. PSN UK 6 toal apps. Live UK 30 total apps. Only Netflix and PS video store in UK. Live has now got 8 different options.

Yes, and what's amazing is that, with so far fewer apps and services available on the PS3, more people decide to spend their time consuming multimedia on that machine's Netflix service than on the Xbox, even with all those other apps and online services available that the PS3 does not have on offer, and with the Xbox having a Netflix app of its own. 

Clearly, there must be another factor not related to the breadth of services on offer that is resulting in this situation. 

I think you miss te point. Because there is less choice on PSN the users are automatically choosing the only service Netflix. Whereas the greater coice on Live results in some not evening opting for Netflix at all. Because there are others they may prefer from their taste/choice. So I would expect less users for 1 brand on a system with more choice than 1 with no choice. And in my country the only viable offer on PSN.

So in a further look. I would expect the total usage of streaming services on Live to far exceed PSN total. Lives will just be more evenly spread over the differing services Live offer Worldwide.

No. Netflix is the most popular streaming service, if PS3 beats the 360 in this regard, then nothing on 360 beat the PS3 as far as streaming goes. Thats a simple fact. You can add all the smaller apps like Lovefilm(wich is also available on ps3), it still wouldn't add 1/10th of what is streamed on PS3s Netflix. Its that huge.

One of the reasons PS3 is bigger is because it doesn't have 2 paywalls to access Netflix. You just subscribe and thats it.

source?

You don't need a source, Netflix vs Lovefilm, no ones ever heard of Lovefilm, it doesn't even have 1/10th of Netflix' fame.

NobleTeam360 said:

Dude you take forever to give a reply. I'm asking why are PS fans happy over something that doesn't affect them in the slightest way. With regard to what you said in your second sentence Sony has been aiming for the entertainment hub as you put it, I can see why Sony employees would be happy not fans and yes Really. 

Thats because, unlike you, I have a real life and dont have to rely on the internetz to be someone. Shows how lame you are.

Also, just looking at your username....you are such a hypocrite.

Never realized that x360 fanboys such as yourself are lame hypocrites with no life. so sad to be you.