By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS3 is #1 for Netflix Streaming in the Living Room

maverick40 said:
selnor said:
Its much harder for Netflix on Xbox 360.

Theres much more options than on PS3.

360 has

Netflix
Lovefilm
Xbox Video
Now TV
Sky
BlinkBox

And 2 more I cant remember.

On my PS3 I have a choice of 3.

Lovefilm
Netflix
PS Video Store ( Which lacks massively in comparison to Xbox Video )

So if I used my PS3 for any service it would be Netflix.

But the 360 has so much more content and options I use

Netflix, Xbox Video and Now TV combined on Live. The ultimate HD streaming service is what Live is.
Oh and just started using the new NBA app.

That is your excuse?? WOW you are something special. How about the fact that you don't need to buy xbox live and then buy a netflix subscription maybe? Or the fact that the Netflix app is better designed on the ps3? Use your head or cash that check from Microsoft. 

Its not an excuse. Its a fact.

Netflix does not have all the content I like to watch. Having Netflix on its own is a waste to me really. And as Ive tried Netflix on both I dont actually see a difference in the apps. 

If anything using Netflix on my 360 allows me to see what my Xbox Live friends are watching and recommending on Netflix something I dont get on my PS3 as noone I know is using a PS3. 

Also having Netflix, Now TV, Sky and Xbox Video all on Xbox 360 allows me to intergrate my experience wit the 360 Operating sytem. Via 360 dash I can serach for any TV show, Music or film or website and it will bring it up fro me. Selcting and strating the respective app without me having to do anything. Something I cant do on a PS3 with Netflix and wont be able to do ever unless Sony 1 changes their OS. And 2. gets many more services available as Netflix alone isnt gonna cut it.

Around the Network
selnor said:
maverick40 said:
selnor said:

360 has

Netflix
Lovefilm
Xbox Video
Now TV
Sky
BlinkBox

Lovefilm
Netflix

Netflix, Xbox Video and Now TV combined on Live. The ultimate HD streaming service is what Live is.

That is your excuse?? WOW you are something special. How about the fact that you don't need to buy xbox live and then buy a netflix subscription maybe? Or the fact that the Netflix app is better designed on the ps3? Use your head or cash that check from Microsoft. 

Netflix does not have all the content I like to watch. Having Netflix on its own is a waste to me really. And as Ive tried Netflix on both I dont actually see a difference in the apps. 

If anything using Netflix on my 360 allows me to see what my Xbox Live friends are watching and recommending on Netflix something I dont get on my PS3 as noone I know is using a PS3. 

Also having Netflix, Now TV, Sky and Xbox Video all on Xbox 360 allows me to intergrate my experience wit the 360 Operating sytem. Via 360 dash I can serach for any TV show, Music or film or website and it will bring it up fro me. Selcting and strating the respective app without me having to do anything. Something I cant do on a PS3 with Netflix and wont be able to do ever unless Sony 1 changes their OS. And 2. gets many more services available as Netflix alone isnt gonna cut it.

One video service is enough for most people. 

yo_john117 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
yo_john117 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
yo_john117 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
yo_john117 said:
I believe Netflix has been number one on the PS3 for quite some time now.

What makes the PS3 version more superior? Cause when I used it (granted back in 2011) it was about the same as the 360 version (360 version had a better interface, PS3 loaded a bit faster). The 360 has gotten the auto play feature and if you have Kinect, it is really nice how you can tell it to pause/play/pick your show.

Its not superior, the lay out is different but relatively the same. That and Sony doesn't make it hard to use your Netflix account on PSN which is an incentive for more people to have access to enjoy it.

Yeah the payed vs. free thing has a lot to do with more use on the PS3. I just kept seeing that everyone says the PS3 version is more superior and I wasn't sure why.

Well in the beginning the streaming quality was better on my PS3 version than my 360 version, but they updated the 360 version and it was just fine. They are pretty much the same just different layouts. If you like to rent Blu Rays from Netflix its also a plus because you can use your PS3 for that, so yes you could say there is a slight edge because you dont have to leave the PS3 multimedia hub to get better quality.

This is very true. Regardless of what other people say, I do believe the PS3 is better strictly as a media hub.

Because of the PS3 I dont buy DVD's anymore, just nothing but Blu Rays. A movie has to be old and untouchable on Blu Ray format for me to buy a DVD to upscale on my PS3. First time I saw Zombie Land on my PS3...soooooooooooooo crisp! Its addictive how beautiful it was. Theres always a ton of bonus things in the special edition Blu Rays and even the normal Blu Rays because of how much space it holds. You get the truer experience behind the making of the films.

I actually have some questions regarding Blu-ray. I've only ever watched one movie (300 on a 80 or so inch HDTV) and I remember it not being as amazing as everyone said it would be, I think someone said the grainy look of it made a less apparent difference to the DVD version but I'm not sure if that is the case. Does the quality of Blu-ray vary? Also I recently bought the Hunger Games in HD on Xbox Live and I can't imagine it looking any better than that (It's as good as the best movie theater screen I've seen). Is Blu-ray about the same quality of full HD movies?

300 is a bad example for a good blu-ray ;) i know exactly what you mean - to me it looked quite like the upscaled dvd. and yes, quality varies a *lot*. especially old movies make quite a difference if they are postprocessed badly. but aside from that, try avatar or dark knight on bluray and you know what it can do ;)

maverick40 said:
selnor said:
maverick40 said:
selnor said:

360 has

Netflix
Lovefilm
Xbox Video
Now TV
Sky
BlinkBox

Lovefilm
Netflix

For me at least I dont see how. Netflix has way to many films missing. To many. 

It doesnt have any films from the last 14 months. It is good for most TV series but something like Jericho randomly has only up to 6 episodes into Season 2. Been like that for the last year. Xbox Video has HD films for rent or purchase and sometimes before the Bluray is even out. Then theres Sky for Live TV, NBA for live sport and Now TV for HD rentals. 

Together they are perfect all through the 360 dashboard intergration.

maverick40 said:
selnor said:
maverick40 said:
selnor said:

360 has

Netflix
Lovefilm
Xbox Video
Now TV
Sky
BlinkBox

Lovefilm
Netflix

no. most people need more services. so there we have it, point against point, no proofs. this kind of arguments are so useless... you can't prove your statement so it is absolutely meaningless.

when i look at the lovefilm-offers in germany i will *have* to use something different because they offer ridiculously few movies and series. but then: there is no other service available (besides xbox-stuff and, if you have ps3, the sony-counterpart).

Around the Network
SvennoJ said:
yo_john117 said:

Yeah I know Netflix HD and Blu-ray have a huge difference. Netflix HD looks like a DVD. 

What I was wondering is if 1080P HD on demand (such as the Hunger Games) is close or about the same as Blu-ray. Because the Hunger Games on my HDTV in full 1080p looks as good as it did in the movie theater. 

I doubt it, unless you have Google fibre and they offer extremely high bitrate movies.
I don't know which service you have. I have Rogers and they stream 15mbps mpeg2 for 1080i60 HD on demand movies, again nice with slow moving scenes but not holding up well during action. (mostly due to the ancient mpeg2 compression)
Blu-ray streams 1080p24, so next to a higher bitrate (and more advanced codecs in my case at least) you also get the movie footage without the 3:2 pulldown conversion.

In my experience it's:
Netflix HD <= PS3 movies (upto 6mbps vc-1) < Xbox movies (upto 10mpbs vc-1) = on demand streaming << blu-ray <<<< cinema
(1080i60 or 1080p60 doesn't make any difference for 24fps movies)

The cinema version should be much better then blu-ray and HD on demand in theory, but it all depends on how well the system has been calibrated. Most of the time it looks better at home since you can control brightness, contrast and ambient lighting exactly to your liking. Plus projecting from a point source through 100ft of air onto a huge flat screen is never perfect.

I suppose I should let you know that I didn't stream the Hunger Games. I downloaded it onto the Xbox and watched it cause I knew streaming it wouldn't be quite as good as straight up downloading it.

Also since when did Cinemas have flat screens? All of the ones I have been to have the modern slightly curved DLP screens (I think that's what they are called).

Either way thanks for the insights.

selnor said:
maverick40 said:
selnor said:
maverick40 said:
selnor said:

360 has

Netflix
Lovefilm
Xbox Video
Now TV
Sky
BlinkBox

Lovefilm
Netflix

It doesnt have any films from the last 14 months. It is good for most TV series but something like Jericho randomly has only up to 6 episodes into Season 2. Been like that for the last year. Xbox Video has HD films for rent or purchase and sometimes before the Bluray is even out. Then theres Sky for Live TV, NBA for live sport and Now TV for HD rentals. 

LOL, first of all you're argument is extremely wrong in that you cant even get the services available on PS3 right. there is also huluPlus, Crackle, amazon, crunchyroll, neon alley, vudu and best buy cinema. Get your info right? Unless you are outside of the US then maybe its different. 

second of all, it doesnt really matter as Netflix is more popular and relevant than all those other you and I mentioned.

which brings me to number 3 as it really doesnt matter whether you think Netflix is good or not, you keep ignoring the fact you need LIVE to use ANY of those services which is what pushes the PS3 above it in terms of Netflix usage.

oniyide said:
selnor said:
maverick40 said:
selnor said:
maverick40 said:
selnor said:

360 has

Netflix
Lovefilm
Xbox Video
Now TV
Sky
BlinkBox

Lovefilm
Netflix

LOL, first of all you're argument is extremely wrong in that you cant even get the services available on PS3 right. there is also huluPlus, Crackle, amazon, crunchyroll, neon alley, vudu and best buy cinema. Get your info right? Unless you are outside of the US then maybe its different. 

second of all, it doesnt really matter as Netflix is more popular and relevant than all those other you and I mentioned.

which brings me to number 3 as it really doesnt matter whether you think Netflix is good or not, you keep ignoring the fact you need LIVE to use ANY of those services which is what pushes the PS3 above it in terms of Netflix usage.

In the UK where I live PSN only has 6 apps in total. None of te ones you mention which are available on 360 in uk exist here for PS3. 

I tink its a very relevant fact that because Microsoft seem to look after outside US better than Sony = theres more people wit 360 with more choice. = Less have to opt for Netflix on 360 becasue of this. So it only means Netflix on PS3 does well due to the fact that in some countries like mine its the only decent option on PS3. Wereas 360 has alot more options for services in more countries. Meaning Netflix wont have an overall majority with 360 owners. I use it, but also use 3 others on 360. Because thats the most complete option. 

psn is free, live is not. there is ur reason

selnor said:
oniyide said:
selnor said:
maverick40 said:
selnor said:
maverick40 said:
selnor said:

360 has

Netflix
Lovefilm
Xbox Video
Now TV
Sky
BlinkBox

Lovefilm
Netflix

In the UK where I live PSN only has 6 apps in total. None of te ones you mention which are available on 360 in uk exist here for PS3. 

I tink its a very relevant fact that because Microsoft seem to look after outside US better than Sony = theres more people wit 360 with more choice. = Less have to opt for Netflix on 360 becasue of this. So it only means Netflix on PS3 does well due to the fact that in some countries like mine its the only decent option on PS3. Wereas 360 has alot more options for services in more countries. Meaning Netflix wont have an overall majority with 360 owners. I use it, but also use 3 others on 360. Because thats the most complete option. 

@ bolded fair enough

Last I checked there are more PS systems sold in the Euro regions than 360, so that makes no sense, even if they have more choice. Netflix wont have a majority of 360 owners because you need to PAY FOR LIVE in addition to Netflix fees to use th service. Which last i checked only about 52% if 360 owners have a Gold account. Where you dont have that barrier for PS3. Which is a fact that you are continuing to ignore, which anyone would know if the deciding factor since Netflix still gets more usage than any of those other services you mentioned anyway.