By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS3 is #1 for Netflix Streaming in the Living Room

sully1311 said:
And for people taking the piss out of LoveFilm, its got about double the amount of subscribers here in the UK (where it is based) than Netflix and has better distribution deals.

Why is Lovefilm so popular if they only stream 101 videos total? Unless those are just the ones that I can see since I live in the US.

http://www.lovefilm.com/browse/film/watch-online/subscription/?facet-4=collection_id%7C8562&rows=50

Although upon closer examination most of their movies are actually pretty new unlike Netflix of Amazon Instant (which have jack for new films)

EDIT: Nevermind I found their actual instant section with 4,000 movies and TV shows. Wow, wish I could watch get Lovefilm. About the same price as Netflix but with a much better selection (of newer films)

Around the Network
sully1311 said:
On the PS3 in the UK you can get Lovefilm, Netflix, Blinkbox (via browser), PS Video Store (to Selnor: The store has more movie deals than MS has, ie MS doesn't have Sony Pictures) and Mubi, so there is plenty of choice. Plus, Sky has said the PS3 is getting Now TV very soon too.

Um your very wrong here.

Firstly Xbox Video has all of Sony Pictures films. Has had for years. Ive watched like 3 Sony Pictures film on Xbox Video service in the last year.

Also Xbox Video has lots of films purchasable in 1080p HD now. Something PSN video severely lacks. 

2nd Lovefilm isnt really a streaming service. Unless you call Bollywood films worth streaming. I had the streaming service for Lovefilm free trial, and its terrible. Lovefilm is mainly a disc based rental service.

Mubi is not on my PS3 anywhere. I just checked. Also the browser freezes when pretty much playing any video through it. I wouldnt in a million years try and watch a HD stream on Blinkbox via PS3 browser. Which leads me back to my original point.

In the UK Netflix is the only acceptable viable option for PS3 owners right now. 

Its bad really, because Live is about to add another 10 apps to my country shortly. Its clear using both service where the money from my 30 GBP/ year for Gold goes. 

Live is more stable, has ALOT more choice for movie, music and TV shows service via stream or download. Updates are far quicker through Live. And there around 1-2000 more games downloadable thanks to Indie Games on XBLIG alongside XBLA.

selnor said:
sully1311 said:
On the PS3 in the UK you can get Lovefilm, Netflix, Blinkbox (via browser), PS Video Store (to Selnor: The store has more movie deals than MS has, ie MS doesn't have Sony Pictures) and Mubi, so there is plenty of choice. Plus, Sky has said the PS3 is getting Now TV very soon too.

Um your very wrong here.

Firstly Xbox Video has all of Sony Pictures films. Has had for years. Ive watched like 3 Sony Pictures film on Xbox Video service in the last year.

Also Xbox Video has lots of films purchasable in 1080p HD now. Something PSN video severely lacks. 

2nd Lovefilm isnt really a streaming service. Unless you call Bollywood films worth streaming. I had the streaming service for Lovefilm free trial, and its terrible. Lovefilm is mainly a disc based rental service.

Mubi is not on my PS3 anywhere. I just checked. Also the browser freezes when pretty much playing any video through it. I wouldnt in a million years try and watch a HD stream on Blinkbox via PS3 browser. Which leads me back to my original point.

In the UK Netflix is the only acceptable viable option for PS3 owners right now. 

Its bad really, because Live is about to add another 10 apps to my country shortly. Its clear using both service where the money from my 30 GBP/ year for Gold goes. 

Live is more stable, has ALOT more choice for movie, music and TV shows service via stream or download. Updates are far quicker through Live. And there around 1-2000 more games downloadable thanks to Indie Games on XBLIG alongside XBLA.

Well now your just talking c*rap its embarassing. I am wrong about the Sony Pictures deal (that must be pretty new) but not anything else. 

1. PSN Video Store has the vast majority of videos to buy in 1080p.

2. What the hell are you talking about LoveFilm isn't really a streaming service???

3. Mubi is in TV/Video Services > My Channels or you can buy it in the Store under apps

4. Blinkbox works fine on the PS3 and Blinkbox doesn't yet stream in HD, anywhere.

I'm not denying that Xbox has more services, but to say PSN doesn't have any is a bit stupid to be honest.

sully1311 said:
selnor said:
sully1311 said:

Um your very wrong here.

Well now your just talking c*rap its embarassing.

Explain. I live in the UK. These are the experiences I have with both where I live. Its very simple.

selnor said:
sully1311 said:
selnor said:
sully1311 said:

Um your very wrong here.

Well now your just talking c*rap its embarassing.

Explain. I live in the UK. These are the experiences I have with both where I live. Its very simple.

I just updated the post.

Around the Network
sully1311 said:
selnor said:
sully1311 said:

Um your very wrong here.

Well now your just talking c*rap its embarassing. I am wrong about the Sony Pictures deal (that must be pretty new) but not anything else. 

2. What the hell are you talking about LoveFilm isn't really a streaming service???

3. Mubi is in TV/Video Services > My Channels or you can buy it in the Store under apps

4. Blinkbox works fine on the PS3 and Blinkbox doesn't yet stream in HD, anywhere.

I'm not denying that Xbox has more services, but to say PSN doesn't have any is a bit stupid to be honest.

Im not being stupid. 

Lovefilm does have streaming films. But there are not many. And most are fims youll never have heard of. Loads of wierd B movie stuff. Its not really comparable to Netflix choice. 

I still cant see Mubi there. 

My original point still stands. 

Theres no competition like there is on 360. Alot more good quality choice with Apps.

selnor said:
sully1311 said:
selnor said:
sully1311 said:

Um your very wrong here.

Im not being stupid. 

Lovefilm does have streaming films. But there are not many. And most are fims youll never have heard of. Loads of wierd B movie stuff. Its not really comparable to Netflix choice. 

I still cant see Mubi there. 

My original point still stands. 

Theres no competition like there is on 360. Alot more good quality choice with Apps.

IMO LoveFilm has a lot better movies 'you have heard of' than Netflix, considerably a lot more infact. 

Here's the PlayStation link to Mubi: http://uk.playstation.com/psn/services/detail/item279772/MUBI/

selnor said:
maverick40 said:
selnor said:
maverick40 said:
selnor said:
Its much harder for Netflix on Xbox 360.

Theres much more options than on PS3.

360 has

Netflix
Lovefilm
Xbox Video
Now TV
Sky
BlinkBox

And 2 more I cant remember.

On my PS3 I have a choice of 3.

Lovefilm
Netflix
PS Video Store ( Which lacks massively in comparison to Xbox Video )

So if I used my PS3 for any service it would be Netflix.

But the 360 has so much more content and options I use

Netflix, Xbox Video and Now TV combined on Live. The ultimate HD streaming service is what Live is.
Oh and just started using the new NBA app.

That is your excuse?? WOW you are something special. How about the fact that you don't need to buy xbox live and then buy a netflix subscription maybe? Or the fact that the Netflix app is better designed on the ps3? Use your head or cash that check from Microsoft. 

Its not an excuse. Its a fact.

Netflix does not have all the content I like to watch. Having Netflix on its own is a waste to me really. And as Ive tried Netflix on both I dont actually see a difference in the apps. 

If anything using Netflix on my 360 allows me to see what my Xbox Live friends are watching and recommending on Netflix something I dont get on my PS3 as noone I know is using a PS3. 

Also having Netflix, Now TV, Sky and Xbox Video all on Xbox 360 allows me to intergrate my experience wit the 360 Operating sytem. Via 360 dash I can serach for any TV show, Music or film or website and it will bring it up fro me. Selcting and strating the respective app without me having to do anything. Something I cant do on a PS3 with Netflix and wont be able to do ever unless Sony 1 changes their OS. And 2. gets many more services available as Netflix alone isnt gonna cut it.

One video service is enough for most people. 

For me at least I dont see how. Netflix has way to many films missing. To many. 

It doesnt have any films from the last 14 months. It is good for most TV series but something like Jericho randomly has only up to 6 episodes into Season 2. Been like that for the last year. Xbox Video has HD films for rent or purchase and sometimes before the Bluray is even out. Then theres Sky for Live TV, NBA for live sport and Now TV for HD rentals. 

Together they are perfect all through the 360 dashboard intergration.

Jericho finished there because there were only 7 episodes in the series. It got axed. Shame really.

Here's some more good news for UK PS3 owners. NOW TV is coming early next year to the PS3!

Hello movie fans,

We're excited to share some amazing, festive news with you today. Are you ready?

The NOW TV elves have been working overtime, and we're happy to announce that a beta for the PS3 app will be available for you to enjoy in the new year. Think of it as a late Christmas gift from us to all you movie fans that own a PS3.

We hope you're just as excited about the arrival of the NOW TV PS3 app as us, and are looking forward to watching some fantastic movies in the new year. For details of how to get involved, keep an eye out on our Facebook page, Twitter feed and Community for updates.

Asim
NOW TV Team

http://community.nowtv.com/t5/NOW-TV-News/NOW-TV-PS3-app-beta/m-p/34336