By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS3 is #1 for Netflix Streaming in the Living Room

yo_john117 said:

I actually have some questions regarding Blu-ray. I've only ever watched one movie (300 on a 80 or so inch HDTV) and I remember it not being as amazing as everyone said it would be, I think someone said the grainy look of it made a less apparent difference to the DVD version but I'm not sure if that is the case. Does the quality of Blu-ray vary? Also I recently bought the Hunger Games in HD on Xbox Live and I can't imagine it looking any better than that (It's as good as the best movie theater screen I've seen). Is Blu-ray about the same quality of full HD movies?

Yeh I've definitely experienced that. Recently watched the Tinker Tailor Blu ray and they use a very heavy film grain over the picture that obscures a lot of the added detail usually found on a Blu ray picture. It's an aesthetic choice and it fits the film, but it does mean the increase in quality is less noticeable. 

Around the Network
yo_john117 said:

I suppose I should let you know that I didn't stream the Hunger Games. I downloaded it onto the Xbox and watched it cause I knew streaming it wouldn't be quite as good as straight up downloading it.

Also since when did Cinemas have flat screens? All of the ones I have been to have the modern slightly curved DLP screens (I think that's what they are called).

Either way thanks for the insights.

Yeah you only get 10mbps if downloading first. Streaming caps out at 5mbps.
Shows how long it's been since I went to the cinema, I never noticed the new screens are slightly curved. I stopped going to the cinema after I could get better picture and sound quality at home. There are no 'reference' theatres near where I live unfortunately.

selnor said:
maverick40 said:
selnor said:
maverick40 said:
selnor said:
Its much harder for Netflix on Xbox 360.

Theres much more options than on PS3.

360 has

Netflix
Lovefilm
Xbox Video
Now TV
Sky
BlinkBox

And 2 more I cant remember.

On my PS3 I have a choice of 3.

Lovefilm
Netflix
PS Video Store ( Which lacks massively in comparison to Xbox Video )

So if I used my PS3 for any service it would be Netflix.

But the 360 has so much more content and options I use

Netflix, Xbox Video and Now TV combined on Live. The ultimate HD streaming service is what Live is.
Oh and just started using the new NBA app.

That is your excuse?? WOW you are something special. How about the fact that you don't need to buy xbox live and then buy a netflix subscription maybe? Or the fact that the Netflix app is better designed on the ps3? Use your head or cash that check from Microsoft. 

Its not an excuse. Its a fact.

Netflix does not have all the content I like to watch. Having Netflix on its own is a waste to me really. And as Ive tried Netflix on both I dont actually see a difference in the apps. 

If anything using Netflix on my 360 allows me to see what my Xbox Live friends are watching and recommending on Netflix something I dont get on my PS3 as noone I know is using a PS3. 

Also having Netflix, Now TV, Sky and Xbox Video all on Xbox 360 allows me to intergrate my experience wit the 360 Operating sytem. Via 360 dash I can serach for any TV show, Music or film or website and it will bring it up fro me. Selcting and strating the respective app without me having to do anything. Something I cant do on a PS3 with Netflix and wont be able to do ever unless Sony 1 changes their OS. And 2. gets many more services available as Netflix alone isnt gonna cut it.

One video service is enough for most people. 

For me at least I dont see how. Netflix has way to many films missing. To many. 

It doesnt have any films from the last 14 months. It is good for most TV series but something like Jericho randomly has only up to 6 episodes into Season 2. Been like that for the last year. Xbox Video has HD films for rent or purchase and sometimes before the Bluray is even out. Then theres Sky for Live TV, NBA for live sport and Now TV for HD rentals. 

Together they are perfect all through the 360 dashboard intergration.

The only streaming that matters is Hulu Plus and Netflix and those are sure to do better on the ps3 than the 360. Everything else is just Microsoft being Microsoft trying to replace the cable box.

oniyide said:
selnor said:
oniyide said:
selnor said:
maverick40 said:
selnor said:
maverick40 said:
selnor said:

360 has

Netflix
Lovefilm
Xbox Video
Now TV
Sky
BlinkBox

Lovefilm
Netflix

Netflix, Xbox Video and Now TV combined on Live. The ultimate HD streaming service is what Live is.

That is your excuse?? WOW you are something special. How about the fact that you don't need to buy xbox live and then buy a netflix subscription maybe? Or the fact that the Netflix app is better designed on the ps3? Use your head or cash that check from Microsoft. 

Netflix does not have all the content I like to watch. Having Netflix on its own is a waste to me really. And as Ive tried Netflix on both I dont actually see a difference in the apps. 

If anything using Netflix on my 360 allows me to see what my Xbox Live friends are watching and recommending on Netflix something I dont get on my PS3 as noone I know is using a PS3. 

Also having Netflix, Now TV, Sky and Xbox Video all on Xbox 360 allows me to intergrate my experience wit the 360 Operating sytem. Via 360 dash I can serach for any TV show, Music or film or website and it will bring it up fro me. Selcting and strating the respective app without me having to do anything. Something I cant do on a PS3 with Netflix and wont be able to do ever unless Sony 1 changes their OS. And 2. gets many more services available as Netflix alone isnt gonna cut it.

It doesnt have any films from the last 14 months. It is good for most TV series but something like Jericho randomly has only up to 6 episodes into Season 2. Been like that for the last year. Xbox Video has HD films for rent or purchase and sometimes before the Bluray is even out. Then theres Sky for Live TV, NBA for live sport and Now TV for HD rentals. 

LOL, first of all you're argument is extremely wrong in that you cant even get the services available on PS3 right. there is also huluPlus, Crackle, amazon, crunchyroll, neon alley, vudu and best buy cinema. Get your info right? Unless you are outside of the US then maybe its different. 

second of all, it doesnt really matter as Netflix is more popular and relevant than all those other you and I mentioned.

which brings me to number 3 as it really doesnt matter whether you think Netflix is good or not, you keep ignoring the fact you need LIVE to use ANY of those services which is what pushes the PS3 above it in terms of Netflix usage.

In the UK where I live PSN only has 6 apps in total. None of te ones you mention which are available on 360 in uk exist here for PS3. 

I tink its a very relevant fact that because Microsoft seem to look after outside US better than Sony = theres more people wit 360 with more choice. = Less have to opt for Netflix on 360 becasue of this. So it only means Netflix on PS3 does well due to the fact that in some countries like mine its the only decent option on PS3. Wereas 360 has alot more options for services in more countries. Meaning Netflix wont have an overall majority with 360 owners. I use it, but also use 3 others on 360. Because thats the most complete option. 

@ bolded fair enough

Last I checked there are more PS systems sold in the Euro regions than 360, so that makes no sense, even if they have more choice. Netflix wont have a majority of 360 owners because you need to PAY FOR LIVE in addition to Netflix fees to use th service. Which last i checked only about 52% if 360 owners have a Gold account. Where you dont have that barrier for PS3. Which is a fact that you are continuing to ignore, which anyone would know if the deciding factor since Netflix still gets more usage than any of those other services you mentioned anyway.

But yet although a paid service, XBL recieves more active individual users per month than PSN does. So although free PSN does not attract many users per month as XBL actively each month. Further replicated by the amount of Digital sales both recieve of which XBL destroys PSN.

I dont want to turn this into a needless battle. But to not take into account the more variety Microsoft provide more widely than Sony doesnt make any sense. Im sure being free plays a part to. But so does the options Microsoft provide.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
selnor said:
maverick40 said:
selnor said:
maverick40 said:
selnor said:

360 has

Netflix
Lovefilm
Xbox Video
Now TV
Sky
BlinkBox

Lovefilm
Netflix

The only streaming that matters is Hulu Plus and Netflix and those are sure to do better on the ps3 than the 360. Everything else is just Microsoft being Microsoft trying to replace the cable box.

I disagree. I dont use Hulu Plus. Te options I choose suit my needs muc better. Xbox Video by far produces the best HD streaming results of all of them including PS video store. Now TV is also a brilliant TV catch up HD service with up to the minute Film options to. Sky is great for Live TV in HD and Netflix pretty muc has most TV box sets and older HD films. NBA app is great for live NBA in the UK also. Theres also a new one I noticed yesterday on Live but have yet to check it out. 

PSN in the UK is getting absolutely destroyed by Live in this field. Its like 30 apps compared to 6 now. Wat is Sony doing outside US????????????

Around the Network
selnor said:

360 has

Netflix
Lovefilm
Xbox Video
Now TV
Sky
BlinkBox

Lovefilm
Netflix

This post made me LOL seriously. Bravo, selnor.

Jay520 said:
selnor said:

360 has

Netflix
Lovefilm
Xbox Video
Now TV
Sky
BlinkBox

Lovefilm
Netflix

It would because its full of sense. 

To disregard this information and say it has no baring on the usage of each platform is well you work it out.

Outside US PSN offers noting even close to Live in comparison in terms of apps and streaming services. PSN UK 6 toal apps. Live UK 30 total apps. Only Netflix and PS video store in UK. Live has now got 8 different options.

selnor said:
Jay520 said:
selnor said:

360 has

Netflix
Lovefilm
Xbox Video
Now TV
Sky
BlinkBox

Lovefilm
Netflix

To disregard this information and say it has no baring on the usage of each platform is well you work it out.

Outside US PSN offers noting even close to Live in comparison in terms of apps and streaming services. PSN UK 6 toal apps. Live UK 30 total apps. Only Netflix and PS video store in UK. Live has now got 8 different options.

Yes, and what's amazing is that, with so far fewer apps and services available on the PS3, more people decide to spend their time consuming multimedia on that machine's Netflix service than on the Xbox, even with all those other apps and online services available that the PS3 does not have on offer, and with the Xbox having a Netflix app of its own. 

Clearly, there must be another factor not related to the breadth of services on offer that is resulting in this situation. 

Bought the new kinect bundled xbox which streams faster than my old school 80g ps3 but got so tired of paying for gold i upgraded my wireless router to the asus dark knight, my ps3 now streams HD no buffering at all. Paying for the Gold membership and having to pay for hulu plus and netflix would be crazy when sony offers me the same service free. Also have been an amazon prime member for a while so the free video streaming they offer me is some what a paid for service.

Sal.Paradise said:
selnor said:
Jay520 said:
selnor said:

360 has

Netflix
Lovefilm
Xbox Video
Now TV
Sky
BlinkBox

Lovefilm
Netflix

Yes, and what's amazing is that, with so far fewer apps and services available on the PS3, more people decide to spend their time consuming multimedia on that machine's Netflix service than on the Xbox, even with all those other apps and online services available that the PS3 does not have on offer, and with the Xbox having a Netflix app of its own. 

Clearly, there must be another factor not related to the breadth of services on offer that is resulting in this situation. 

I think you miss te point. Because there is less choice on PSN the users are automatically choosing the only service Netflix. Whereas the greater coice on Live results in some not evening opting for Netflix at all. Because there are others they may prefer from their taste/choice. So I would expect less users for 1 brand on a system with more choice than 1 with no choice. And in my country the only viable offer on PSN.

So in a further look. I would expect the total usage of streaming services on Live to far exceed PSN total. Lives will just be more evenly spread over the differing services Live offer Worldwide.