By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What do you think is the scariest video game or video game level?

cool48 said:
Hyperion said:
Video Games aren't scary.

OMG are you kidding!

Any scary video game I've ever played was at least 3x scarier that the scariest movie I ever saw.

QFT.  I'd say it has to do with the interactivity.  Even with the proper atmosphere (lights off, big screen, surround sound) watching a movie is still more limited with how you interact with it.  In a game since you control the characters and the scares come up responding to your actions it seems far easier to scare you. 

I remember Doom 3 freaked me out the first time I played it.  Lights off, surround headphones on, very freaky at the beginning of the game.

Alone in the Dark: The New Nightmare on DC wasn't scary per se as much as some other survival horror games are but when you play as Aline and can't fire a gun back and you know you have to run the atmosphere does become more tense as you genuinely try to run from enemies. 

Around the Network

then again.....

anyone ever played ROBOTICA for sega saturn.

all robots but,......u just had that feeling that u were alone 

my signature went on strike, it's demanding 3% raise

azrm2k said:
cool48 said:
Hyperion said:
Video Games aren't scary.

OMG are you kidding!

Any scary video game I've ever played was at least 3x scarier that the scariest movie I ever saw.

I remember Doom 3 freaked me out the first time I played it. Lights off, surround headphones on, very freaky at the beginning of the game.

Man, I hated Doom 3. I'm all about a good atmosphere in a game and the dark rooms do kind of freak me out, but when they base their entire game on flashing lights and pitch black rooms with guys at every corner, it became a frustrating experience. I haven't gotten very far in it for that reason and there is no way I'd ever play it without at least a flashlight mod.

Scariest level: Silent Hill 2's underground jail. The whole level creeped me out because I couldn't see what was ahead! Also, in one of the cells was this invisible monster and I took some time to know where it was, so every time I heard it, I ran like a pansy.

Scariest entity: Probably that strange two headed-baby thing on SH2.

The Resident Evil series just gives me the chills and some scary vibe.

I sometimes get scared picking up the controller and playing the game. Same can be said for Metal Gear Solid series. This series involves a lot of sneaking around and timing the right chance to take out the enemy.

Around the Network
Tifa Lockhart said:

Topic title says it all. What's the scariest video game or video game level? Levels can also be portions of a certain game.

For me, the scariest game would have to be Fatal Frame 2, because getting spooked was mandatory in order to get through the game, and the scares weren't that bad, either.

As for video game levels, I'd have to say the Cradle from Thief: Deadly Shadows is the scariest. The atmosphere was just perfect, especially if you played in the dark in front of a large TV with surround sound.

Oh HELL yes. This was the exact thing that first sprang to my mind. I must have crept through the whole god damn level because I was certain I was gonna get jumped by something. I swore to myself I would NOT get freaked out, it's just a game, but I still ended up nearly having a heart attack when the one door started banging. You know which one I mean.

It wouldn't have been so bad, except for the level a while before that with all the zombies. I KNEW there could be dead stuff there, but I had no idea what to expect. For the first time through it was perfect. Now that I know what to expect, it wouldn't even be half as scary though. 

Seppukuties is like LBP Lite, on crack. Play it already!

Currently wrapped up in: Half Life, Portal, and User Created Source Mods
Games I want: (Wii)Mario Kart, Okami, Bully, Conduit,  No More Heroes 2 (GC) Eternal Darkness, Killer7, (PS2) Ico, God of War1&2, Legacy of Kain: SR2&Defiance

My Prediction: Wii will be achieve 48% market share by the end of 2008, and will achieve 50% by the end of june of 09. Prediction Failed.

<- Click to see more of her

Oh I have a good Silent Hill one,

In a locker room (school?) in the normal fog world, there is something thrashing in a locker and you open it up to find a cat. Later in the 'nightmare' version, there is something thrashing around in the same locker and there is blood coming out the bottom of the locker as well. However, you open the locker up to find.... nothing. So, shrugging it off, I started to walk away when all of a sudden *BAM* a dead body flies out of another locker onto the ground.

Condemned, I haven't gotten far in the game but it's definitely the one I've found the scariest. Another would be the hospital level in Silent Hill 1, it just creeped me out but the rest of the game didn't really bother me.

IllegalPaladin said:
Oh I have a good Silent Hill one,

In a locker room (school?) in the normal fog world, there is something thrashing in a locker and you open it up to find a cat. Later in the 'nightmare' version, there is something thrashing around in the same locker and there is blood coming out the bottom of the locker as well. However, you open the locker up to find.... nothing. So, shrugging it off, I started to walk away when all of a sudden *BAM* a dead body flies out of another locker onto the ground.

Haha, I remember that one.

Also, remember the honking cars? And the things that rushed from under them? That was amazing :)

I have to go with the dogs jumping through the window in Resident Evil 1. I've never seen a game make so many people jump.

zeitgeistmovie.com

PS3 Trophies