By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Mario Kart Wii: Undeserving sales

freebs2 said:
ps3-sales! said:
radiantshadow92 said:
ill admit i am quite salty about MK getting those sales when modnation racers deserves much more but what can yah do xD

That's what I'm saying. It's a shame knowing that Nintendo hogs all of the casual crowd away from Microsoft and Sony. :(

This comment pretty much explains it all. Kart games don't sell well on Ps3 and 360 because they are considered casual games. (which means in other words 2nd tier games)

The Wii owner just sees mario kart as an awesome multiplayer game, as one of the main reasons to buy the console.

I bought ModNation Racers and then quickly realized I don't have the patience for the games load screens. Neither did my kids or any other people I know. The game should embrace being simple and fun over complicated with attrocious loading.

The game also didn't emphasize local multiplayer (again loading kills that potential even if it existed). Nobody gets together to play to watch ridiculously long loading screens.

Around the Network
ps3-sales! said:
Khuutra said:
ps3-sales! said:
Khuutra said:
There are no "deserved sales" or "undeserved sales". Sales are what they are: a measure of appeal. Nothing more and nothing less.

I get that you're bothered by the idea that Mario Kart Wii has a higher appeal than the console iterations of any Call of Duty, but you shouldn't be. It doesn't matter.

I can't stand yearly interations of COD and think it's a cancer on the gaming industry as a hole. And yes sales can be deserved and undeserved based on quality of the game. 

You have an Assassin's Creed avatar!

Um, not sure exactly how to respond to that..... Counting the numbered sequels Assassin's Creed has innovated an entire genre (open world stealth). 

Assassin's Creed sells millions and they released an Assassin's Creed game pretty much every year.  On top of that, the variance between each games' style of playing doesn't change any more than Mario Kart/Call of Duty/Halo etc.  Yes, there's a story, but it still fits into the categorization of games you're putting Mario Kart into.  Assassin's Creed can sell a lot on its name alone.

I think MKWii is a good game, and I enjoy playing it, but overall I would say that I was disappointed in it overall. Part of it was that they changed the battle modes a lot. The N64 had the best battle mode. Just 3 balloons, no time limit. That is the best way. They had this traditional battle mode in MKDS, which I would probably say is my favorite in the series, if not second to Double Dash, which also had more traditional battle modes. The bomb mode was a nice addition, because the game was still simple but fun. If they at least allowed customization of the battle modes in MKWii, so that we could play it the way it was in N64, without any coins or weird stuff, then I would be immensely more satisfied with the game.

Been away for a bit, but sneaking back in.

Gaming on: PS4, PC, 3DS. Got a Switch! Mainly to play Smash

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gutCFMc5khY

And what makes you the god of gaming? I say Mario Kart Wii deserves all the sales and more. It manages to appeal to everyone, which is not easy to do, And is one of the most fun and addictive games I've ever played. Also with its solid online, the replay value is endless. My favorite Wii game and only second to the Gears of War series in terms of my favorite of this gen.

Around the Network
ps3-sales! said:
radiantshadow92 said:
ill admit i am quite salty about MK getting those sales when modnation racers deserves much more but what can yah do xD

That's what I'm saying. It's a shame knowing that Nintendo hogs all of the casual crowd away from Microsoft and Sony. :(

Why do you both care so much?  Xbox has more COD software sold on it than any other system, its that a big deal as well? 

animegaming said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gutCFMc5khY

This is my sentiment on the topic.

If innovation is what deserves sales the video game business would be doomed.

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

casuals? you probably won't reply to me, but does the fact that Mario Kart Wii has 33 mil sales bother you? I mean deep down what difference does it make for you other than the perspective you now have on this game?

NINTENDO

nintendo forever . . .

Well it makes perfect sense:
-> Fun and easy to get into, but still presents a challenge
-> One of the first and best online experiences on the Wii (From memory)
-> Wii Wheel. The idea of using the wiimote for racing games was one of the first things I imagined when I saw it
-> Wii's enormous user base of new casual gamers
-> Series already sold extremely well for hardcore gamers in the past (1/3 of GameCube owners owned DD)
-> The DS's success led to massive sales of over 20 million, extending the fan base of Mario Kart

Combine all those factors, and you can expect some massive sales!

Guitar Hero 3/ Smash Hits