By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS3: It Only does Disappointment

First off I am not the one who wrote this article or do I agree with him but I thought it would be nice to hear vgchartz member's thoughts on what he says.

Consoleation: It only does disappointment

Since becoming a PlayStation 3-only owner, after my Xbox 360 tanked on me last month, it's become apparent how much that at least some PS3 versions of multiplatform games are sub-standard. Frame rates falter, some visual effects don't look quite right, and a smattering of other issues put these games a notch below their Xbox 360 counterparts. There are notorious examples of PS3 sub-standard offerings, such as the ill-fated version of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim. There's growing chatter that Call of Duty: Black Ops II has notable issues with crashing and with online connectivity.

All of these things leave me to question whether buying into whatever follow-upconsole that Sony decides to offer when the next generation arrives. As a consumer, Sony has managed to damage my trust and confidence several times over the course of this console generation. The Trophy system never compared to what Microsoft initiated with its Achievement system, and felt more forced than useful. Forced installs of on-disc software continue to force me to decide what to delete in order to make room for new things. Monthly (or more) firmware updates and surprise patches mean that there's often a waiting minigame to be played before getting to enjoy the real game you want to play. The PSN hack of 2011 and its associated outage still cast a specter over the online experience. On top of all that, many multiplatform offerings are clearly "second class" versions of games that run better on the Xbox 360.

I had chosen to dump the PS3 back in February of 2009, when I got my Xbox 360. I didn't feel that there were enough reasons to own both consoles. Aside from Metal Gear Solid 4, the exclusive offerings weren't strong enough for me and I was more interested in what the 360 had to offer. There were more arcade games, for example, on the 360. I liked the idea of Gamerscore and being able to track Achievements for all games, rather than the select few that supported Trophies for the PS3 at the time. Games like BioShockand Dead Space ran better on the 360, too.

But in 2010, I got a new PS3 as a birthday gift from family. There was newfound momentum with exclusives like God of War III and improving versions of MLB: The Show. After a year away from the PS3, I was happy to give it another chance and see howSony would fare given that sales had bounced back somewhat after a mid-year price cut in 2009. It was nice that I got my previously-bought digital games back, too. I used the PS3 primarily as a console for exclusives, leaving multiplatform games to the Xbox 360. That worked for awhile, until my 360 began failing early this year. I began getting more multiplatform games for the PS3, and I tried to get used to the difference in quality.

I haven't been able to do it.

There are exceptions to the lower quality rule, thankfully. Zen Pinball 2 is on par with (or even slightly better than) Pinball FX2 on the Xbox 360. Fist of the North Star: Ken's Rageand Dynasty Warriors 7 both run better on the PS3 than the Xbox 360. Many downloadable titles run pretty much the same on both platforms. Unfortunately, retail releases—notably the AAA ones—suffer in performance and quality, and the excuses aren't acceptable to me.

Obviously it's too late to expect changes now, but if you ask me which of the next-generation consoles that I would buy, it would have to be whatever Microsoft offers. That's kind of a shame, considering how much of a supporter and fan that I was of PlayStation platforms for 10 years. Both the original PlayStation and the PlayStation 2 are great platforms. I've amassed hundreds of games for both as part of my current collection. The PlayStation 3, on the other hand, has been more disappointment than it has been great. I've been underwhelmed by it, and that leads to my consumer vote of no confidence when Sony finally announces that its new platform is ready.

I'm sure that others will disagree with this sentiment, considering it too harsh or making judgments before we really know what Sony will offer. Some will offer the same excuses that I've heard for years, about how the PlayStation 3 is harder to program for or that developers aren't putting enough of an effort in to make the multiplatform versions comparable. I'm not speaking for an entire community. I'm speaking for myself, as one person. Sony has lost me, as a valued customer, unless it can prove unequivocally that the next generation will be different… because they have underperformed in all phases during this generation to the point that the PlayStation 3 is a "second class" platform that could never realistically compete with either the Wii or the Xbox 360.

http://n4g.com/news/1128266/it-only-does-disappointment

Around the Network

I read it like this:

"My XBox360 died on me but I won't get a PS4 because SONY lost my trust because Black Ops 2 by Treyarch had online issues for the first week."

Stupid article is stupid.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

Euphoria14 said:
I read it like this:

"My XBox360 died on me but I won't get a PS4 because SONY losy my trust because Black Ops 2 had online issues for the first week."

Stupid article is stupid.

Yeah pretty much.  It just sounds like a bias opinion more than anything.  What I was surprised about is he says his Xbox failed on him but he lost faith in sony.  Did he lose faith in microsoft too?  All three companies this generation has had there fair share of problems so in his logic all three of them are dissapointments 

JayWood2010 said:

Sony has lost me, as a valued customer, unless it can prove unequivocally that the next generation will be different… because they have underperformed in all phases during this generation to the point that the PlayStation 3 is a "second class" platform that could never realistically compete with either the Wii or the Xbox 360.

Yeah a CoD Fanboy is crying
Awesome - These people are the reason Gaming starts to be a Copy+Paste Festival
Without Sony(and Nintendo) we would only play Call of Duty copies in these days.
Sony is holding gaming high - The only platform with unique games and new ideas like The Last of Us,Journey,Unfinished Swan,Beyond Two Souls,Heavy Rain and all that stuff....Yeah Sony is soooo bad for gaming.
Its the Justin Bieber Generation that is bad for gaming.

Around the Network

that's evil... the family knew he dumped his ps3 the year before and they give him a new ps3 for his birthday.. his family hates him..

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

I like the part where he inadvertently pointed out that his 360 died after 2 and a half years of ownership and begun 'failing' after 2.

That said, if the majority of the games you play are multi-plats and you aren't enticed enough by PS3 exclusives, then yes, there's no real reason to own a PS3 over 360. While I've never had any problems with any PS3 multi-plat game (and I've never compared them side-by-side with a 360 game because why would I buy the same game twice) if you're bothered about performance of these titles then 360 is the better choice.

Didn't buy the trophy argument, though.

badgenome said:
JayWood2010 said:

Sony has lost me, as a valued customer, unless it can prove unequivocally that the next generation will be different… because they have underperformed in all phases during this generation to the point that the PlayStation 3 is a "second class" platform that could never realistically compete with either the Wii or the Xbox 360.

Excellent

In-Kat-We-Trust Brigade!

"This world is Merciless, and it's also very beautiful"

For All News/Info related to the PlayStation Vita, Come and join us in the Official PSV Thread!

I was a huge fan of the ps2, mostly because of the exclusive games like the Onimusha series, Devil May Cry series, GTA's, and also getting a dvd player which was the new tech back in '01-'02.

I can understand the author's frustration with the ps3 from the things he mentioned. For me I didn't initially go with the ps3 this Gen because of the price, 600 bucks seemed like waaay too much to spend on a video game console. The price is much more reasonable now, but the system still underperforms based on what Kaz said at the 2006 E3, that the ps3 was going to be way more advanced technology/graphics/gameplay wise compared to the competition for years to come. Sure the graphics on some exclusives are impressive, I love the God Of War and Uncharted games, but the fact that it has issues playing Skyrim and that a lot of multiplats look and play better on the 360 means that the ps3 didn't reach my expectations. Some blame Bethesda, and maybe it IS their fault, who knows, but I'd still rather play Skyrim on a 360.

The combination of high price and unreached expectations for the ps3 are what made me not go with Sony in the 7th Gen after ps2 was my console of the choice during the 6th.

So there is one guy that considers his PS3 a disappointment. That's perfectly okay, but in my opinion that's just as irrelevant as me saying that I consider a console I cannot even play with because it's broken more of a disappointment. Fuck you, red ring of death.