By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Pong creator says Wii U will not succeed.

Actually, Ralph H. Baer is the "Godfather" of video games.

Around the Network

I'd like to clarify two things.

1: Nolan Bushnell is dooming all new consoles, not just Wii U.

2: Atari went to shit AFTER he sold it to Warner, so don't try to imply that he ran Atari to the ground.

I LOVE ICELAND!

While I concur Bushnell doesn't have some unique perspective, the industry has changed dramatically since the Wii launched and the WiiU, it seems to me, is far too timid a response to those changes.   Instead of trying to be all things - tablet, HD console, Wii - Nintendo should have made the Wii2 something that could not be immediately copied by both ends of the industry (MS/Sony to Apple/Android) - something more akin to Wii was when it launched.

Gamerace said:

"In Nintendo's defence, the Wii U does offer a unique home console experience, thanks to its hybrid, second-screen tablet controller"

Not so unique

Smart glass

Although Nintendo does use the gamepad in some unique ways - currently - the gamepad is no where's close to the revolution the Wiimote was and will very quickly be outdated by either MS/Sony's new consoles and/or Apple/Android tablets or other hybrid devices. 

I agree Bushnell doesn't have some unique perspective but anyone who pays close attention to the industry - the entire industry not just consoles - would wonder why Nintendo took such timid steps with 3DS/WiiU after being so bold with DS/Wii consider how the entire industry has changed.

This post brings tears to my eyes, no, not of joy, but how ghetto they are, which has nothing to do with what you wrote BTW. 1.) what the fuck? 2.) why the fuck? (just get a fucking case that stands!) 3.) ahahahahaha! and 4.) I wish remote play worked in more games, would have been cool.... sigh.....

Not to knock Bushnell but he said something almost exactly the same about the Wii, it doesn't help that his colleague slammed matured rated games as ruining what they created.

Around the Network

well he pretty much slated next gen consoles

as to the argument of no consoles where is this machine that will replace a console by the telly,i'm not convinced yet of the little products,sure maybe cloud and stream but no way is that ready for mainstream internet and then we will be having fan wars about the type of TV machine we use i'm sure nintendo will make one too by then

Above & Beyond

What is the exact situation of Atari anyways? Have they shut their doors yet?

Nintendo is always bigging up the idea that while one person may want to watch TV, you can switch and play on the gamepad.

I thought about that and realized...these days every kid has his own TV. There is not a single kid in my family that doesn't have his own TV setup.

The idea of laying in your bed and playing is attractive though.

Nintendo dropped the ball on the poor online infrastructure. They've had enough time to develop this to compete with PSN/XBL. That's where the future is.

Sony and Microsoft are going to let the 360/PS3 pit against the Wii U for a few years and develop their online component even more giving reason not to jump on the Wii U. Heck I wouldn't be surprised if Sony's new console would be a part-DVR with a full program to edit your gaming videos. That's a console I would pay for.

I'll buy a Wii U when it's on sale for $99 in a bundle. And I've been a Nintendo Fanboy my whole life.

Personally, I'm more interested in what Ralph Baer thinks...

coolguy said:
Nolan Bushnell, this guy is a joke with all the bad games that where out at the time he let the atair 2600 fail.

Would those be the same bad games Atari (unsuccessfully: see Atari v. Activision) tried to restrict from ever appearing on said 2600?

Of course, that's largely irrelevant re: Bushnell, as he left Atari in 1978...

thekitchensink said:
The fact that Nintendo just announced first-week sales as being 25% higher than the Wii's makes me lol at this guy.

They've announced that the Wii U's first week of sales is 400k...and that the Wii's sales on that same contemporaneous week (i.e. in its sixth year) is 300k.

Wii's launch week was 600k.

Nintendogamer said:
Let's see if Wii U will surpass Atari 5200 sales and this guy pongs.

Comparing the available markets, I'd be disgusted if they didn't.

Worth noting: Bushnell had nothing to do with the 5200, as that was developed several years after he left Atari.

Also worth noting: the Atari 2600 (which he is primarily, and recklessly, behind the creation of) was basically the Wii of its day.

Wyrdness said:
Not to knock Bushnell but he said something almost exactly the same about the Wii

If true, this would be a valid point.