By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Pong creator says Wii U will not succeed.

JGarret said:

Of course, it remains to be seen, especially what kind of 'success'.

As far as I´m concerned, I don´t think the Wii U be as successful as the Wii let alone surpass it (in sales numbers), but I think it´ll do alright and be profitable.It´ll end up being Nintendo´s second best selling home console, I think...behind the Wii, ahead of the NES (by how much, big question).

To me it's a success if it makes Nintendo money and is a failure if Nintendo losses money on it.  I think they will sell fewer systems to people who don't care about games than the did with the Wiiu. But they will likely have a higher attatch rate on software sales.

I just wish the system had more power!

Around the Network

Atari is totally got billions of cash in their bank to be able to talk smack about Nintendo! oh wait.... That'd be more MS or Sony's job, Bushnell has no relevancy at all right now, prolly just bitter Nintendo is still successful to this day after they bombed :P.

UltimateUnknown said:
Roma said:
people will keep on saying Nintendo is doomed until one day they are correct!

Its like that saying of a broken clock getting the time right twice a day lol.

I'm sure someone predicted the virtual boy would fail as well.

yeah but we all know Virtual Boy sucked balls the day we tried it in the store, Wii U is actually a pretty good experience :P

This is funny: title "Wii U will be a failure!!!!1!1"

What he actually said: "current consoles already allows whatever game to be made so next gen is not gonna be relevant".

I guess the story sells better if the bashes the Wii U. Hating on Nintendo is the rad thing to do.

Nem said:

What he actually said: "current consoles already allows whatever game to be made so next gen is not gonna be relevant".

I guess the story sells better if the bashes the Wii U. Hating on Nintendo is the rad thing to do.

Then he must be really old and out of touch, consoles are so far behind again compared to PCs in power right now, like really far behind, they can do so much more with a good middleware on more powerful hardware to keep costs down.

Around the Network
ninetailschris said:
UltimateUnknown said:
d21lewis said:

Well to be honest, in 10-20 years time we probably won't even need consoles. Games will just be in cloud and all you'll need is a fast internet connection. So you'll probably just have to buy individual games digitally and never have to worry about missing out on exclusives or whatever. I look forward to such a day.

Try 5 years

I sure hope for. Maybe after next gen wraps up.

dahuman said:
UltimateUnknown said:
Roma said:
people will keep on saying Nintendo is doomed until one day they are correct!

Its like that saying of a broken clock getting the time right twice a day lol.

I'm sure someone predicted the virtual boy would fail as well.

yeah but we all know Virtual Boy sucked balls the day we tried it in the store, Wii U is actually a pretty good experience :P

True that ;)

Nolan Bushnell, this guy is a joke with all the bad games that where out at the time he let the atair 2600 fail.
he should go back to the old peoples home

VITA 32 GIG CARD.250 GIG SLIM & 160 GIG PHAT PS3

dahuman said:
Nem said:

Then he must be really old and out of touch, consoles are so far behind again compared to PCs in power right now, like really far behind, they can do so much more with a good middleware on more powerful hardware to keep costs down.

I actually almost agree with his point.  Hardware has reached a point of diminishing returns.  However, I don't believe it is time to throw in the towel, and the biggest reason I think that is RAM requirements.  512 mb (PS360) is not enough to do "anything a developer could want".  But 1-4 gb sure is.

And don't tell me that the PC market proves me wrong.  If anything, it proves me right.  My wife has a Socket A athlon x2 and a 8600gt graphics card.  2 gig of ram.  Plays Skyrim just fine, and it looks as good or better than the PS3 and Xbox versions.  My computer is an Athlon II X4, and a 460gt graphics card.  It plays Skyrim just fine, and its just a little bit prettier.  For 2 of 3 times the cost in hardware.

Is the WiiU a bit underpowered?  Probably.  But I only see one or two generations of hardware left before it just becomes cost prohibitive to improve the experience by a noticable margin to justify the cost.  A console generation lasting 10 years will become the norm, not the exception.

Check out my Youtube Let's Play channel here.

Crono141 said:
dahuman said:
Nem said:

I actually almost agree with his point.  Hardware has reached a point of diminishing returns.  However, I don't believe it is time to throw in the towel, and the biggest reason I think that is RAM requirements.  512 mb (PS360) is not enough to do "anything a developer could want".  But 1-4 gb sure is.

And don't tell me that the PC market proves me wrong.  If anything, it proves me right.  My wife has a Socket A athlon x2 and a 8600gt graphics card.  2 gig of ram.  Plays Skyrim just fine, and it looks as good or better than the PS3 and Xbox versions.  My computer is an Athlon II X4, and a 460gt graphics card.  It plays Skyrim just fine, and its just a little bit prettier.  For 2 of 3 times the cost in hardware.

Is the WiiU a bit underpowered?  Probably.  But I only see one or two generations of hardware left before it just becomes cost prohibitive to improve the experience by a noticable margin to justify the cost.  A console generation lasting 10 years will become the norm, not the exception.

I used to think 100MB of HDD or 64MB of RAM was all I needed too, turns out it's never enough, it just never is. Then again, I also do a lot of video and audio stuff so I kinda need a powerful computer anyways.