By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Pong creator says Wii U will not succeed.

I think Wii U will be hugely successful because MiiVerse is hugely successful already and will only get better from here. I love playing a game feeling some connection to online friends and community and the MiiVerse community is super awesome and active.

Around the Network

If there's one thing the founder of Atari knows in life is DOOM

now I'm worried.

people will keep on saying Nintendo is doomed until one day they are correct!

R.I.P Mr Iwata :'(

With all due respect to this man, I mean mainly because of him we are even playing games today, he doesn't really have the expertise to predict what people will want to consume. Judging by the 5200 and 7200 fiascos.

Nintendogamer said:
Let's see if Wii U will surpass Atari 5200 sales and this guy pongs.

I think WiiU already did...

Roma said:
people will keep on saying Nintendo is doomed until one day they are correct!

Its like that saying of a broken clock getting the time right twice a day lol.

I'm sure someone predicted the virtual boy would fail as well.

Around the Network

Well, his age is really starting to show.

Nintendo has Mario. No more needs to be said.

He offered his two cents and his opinion is worth less than two cents.

@UltimateUnknown

That has to be the nightmare scenario right there. In a world where we don't necessarily trust our own governments that we elect into office. How much faith would you place in a company that can basically hold a game you bought hostage. That they will always do the honorable thing. They will just interpret purchases as licensed rentals, and as such they will reserve the right to revoke your license. I just don't see gamers placing that much faith in the cloud as a end all and be all.

We will always demand hardware, and property that we can physically hold. Whether it is a game disc, or stored in a storage device that we own. Do you seriously expect gamers to forfeit their property rights. Bloody wars have erupted at the mere suggestion. That said console generations will probably end once we hit hard limits on the power of technology, and there are hard limits on technology.

Gamers will probably be using portable memory units that can store their entire software collections, and almost every screened device will have the hardware built in to play those games. I just don't see gamers relinquishing the act of actually owning their games.

Dodece said:
@UltimateUnknown

That has to be the nightmare scenario right there. In a world where we don't necessarily trust our own governments that we elect into office. How much faith would you place in a company that can basically hold a game you bought hostage. That they will always do the honorable thing. They will just interpret purchases as licensed rentals, and as such they will reserve the right to revoke your license. I just don't see gamers placing that much faith in the cloud as a end all and be all.

We will always demand hardware, and property that we can physically hold. Whether it is a game disc, or stored in a storage device that we own. Do you seriously expect gamers to forfeit their property rights. Bloody wars have erupted at the mere suggestion. That said console generations will probably end once we hit hard limits on the power of technology, and there are hard limits on technology.

Gamers will probably be using portable memory units that can store their entire software collections, and almost every screened device will have the hardware built in to play those games. I just don't see gamers relinquishing the act of actually owning their games.

Aren't you over-reacting a bit? I can see problems arising if companies close down servers late in a game's life, but they can always allow you to download a copy of the game for yourself if such a thing happens. I mean online servers do close down eventually (like Halo 2) so you can't play online anymore, but at least you can play single player. I don't think anyone complained about that because after 10 years it's not that big of a deal. I'm also sure that as more services such as movie/games/music become cloud there will also be laws put in place from a company taking away your license to the game and shutting off access without at least offering some form of physical media or download as recompense.

Again I can't comment much on the details of what will happen eventually, but I can definitely see cloud gaming becoming the norm in the future. I like the idea of not having to own expensive or exclusive hardware to play a video game. Just a strong internet connection and a copy of the game to play anywhere anytime on any device.

UltimateUnknown said:
d21lewis said:
The writing's on the wall? Hopefully, we will soon be entering an era where a universal video game console will hit the market and everybody develops for it (Not talking about the PC because it sucks.). Give it enough power to run virtually any game and allow for things like the Wii U Pad to be used as peripherals.

For gaming to reach that next level, we have to get away from the whole "You need a Nintendo to play Nintendo games/You need an Xbox to play Halo" mentality. I can watch a movie from any studio on my DVD/Blu Ray player. I can listen to any song from anybody on my CD/MP3 player. I need three different machines (or more) to play any game I want to.

Well to be honest, in 10-20 years time we probably won't even need consoles. Games will just be in cloud and all you'll need is a fast internet connection. So you'll probably just have to buy individual games digitally and never have to worry about missing out on exclusives or whatever. I look forward to such a day.

Try 5 years

"Excuse me sir, I see you have a weapon. Why don't you put it down and let's settle this like gentlemen"  ~ max