By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - The REAL Problem With Xbox Live (OPINION)

dsgrue3 said:
Mr Puggsly said:

I do not think you know what extortion means. I choose to pay because I enjoy what they offer. I also choose to pay for Taco Bell because I like what they offer. What Sony offers free simply isn't worth my time. What the dumpster offers free, I'd rather not eat.

I won't even argue which service is better. All you need to know is the games I really enjoy can only be played on Live.

What is it with you and J_Allard. I even cited the definition of extortion for him and he shut up about it because it's entirely true. So I'll repeat it for you:

Extortion: the exaction of a grossly excessive charge for goods or services.

Your analogy is completely false by the way. (Taco Bell)

You pay for Live because it's the only way you can play your games online. Stop using this "what they have to offer" nonsense to attempt to dissaude people to this simple point of fact. The games you enjoy can only be played on Live. Awesome, good. That's a reason, but it doesn't address the point of being extorted in order to play such games on Live.

Mmmhmmm... the price isn't grossly excessive. Its actualy a relatively cheap subscription service. But if I lived in a 3rd world country, I'd probably agree with you. So this is subjective.

Right, I pay for LIve because its not free. But I wouldn't pay if I didn't enjoy the service or if the competition offered something equivalent.

When PSN steps it up and gets some tolerable online games, maybe I'll consider switching over to a free service.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network
J_Allard said:
Never said the definition of extortion is wrong.
J_Allard said:

It's funny because the definition you originally tried to pass off as extortion (which of course was just an entirely different word but you tried to twist it for your own agenda) is wildly different than what you're posting now.

Perhaps not wrong, but wildly different? Hmm, no, not at all.

extortion: the exaction of a grossly excessive charge for goods or services.(Original)

1: the act or practice of extorting especially money or other property; especially : the offense committed by an official engaging in such practice
2: something extorted; especially : a gross overcharge
Interesting how both of those definitions explicitly state a gross overcharge and yet you think they are wildly different. Trouble reading or what?
My point isn't that Live itself as a service is extortion, it is that the MS model of forcing you to use such a service as the only option to use the multiplayer features of your software titles is. The software developers create the multiplayer portion of the game, and MS effectively blocks this content from you unless you pay them to use it. How you can say this isn't extortion is unfathomable.

Chark said:
J_Allard said:

Really only read the first sentence. If you had any experience with the matter at hand you woudn't need any "information gathering". No point in reading or replying to the rest. Hope that helps.

You sir, have no shame.

You don't find a logical argument with them. Stop.

Mr Puggsly said:
dsgrue3 said:
Mr Puggsly said:

I do not think you know what extortion means. I choose to pay because I enjoy what they offer. I also choose to pay for Taco Bell because I like what they offer. What Sony offers free simply isn't worth my time. What the dumpster offers free, I'd rather not eat.

I won't even argue which service is better. All you need to know is the games I really enjoy can only be played on Live.

What is it with you and J_Allard. I even cited the definition of extortion for him and he shut up about it because it's entirely true. So I'll repeat it for you:

You pay for Live because it's the only way you can play your games online. Stop using this "what they have to offer" nonsense to attempt to dissaude people to this simple point of fact. The games you enjoy can only be played on Live. Awesome, good. That's a reason, but it doesn't address the point of being extorted in order to play such games on Live.

Mmmhmmm... the price isn't grossly excessive. Its actualy a relatively cheap subscription service. But if I lived in a 3rd world country, I'd probably agree with you. So this is subjective.

Right, I pay for LIve because its not free. But I wouldn't pay if I didn't enjoy the service or if the competition offered something equivalent.

When PSN steps it up and gets some tolerable online games, maybe I'll consider switching over to a free service.

Its cheap to you, but to keep Xbox Live running, they are way past the point of profit. They can run next gen on all the money they made off of live this gen, including updates.

The REAL problem with XBL is that MS gathers too much money from it, so Ballmer can buy tons of junk food and cocaine, so he'll die soon and suddenly, and when this happen he will plop down, and the shockwave will wipe the West Coast away.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Around the Network

Well this thread got interesting... in a circular logic kinda way

S.T.A.G.E. said:
Mr Puggsly said:
dsgrue3 said:
Mr Puggsly said:

Its cheap to you, but to keep Xbox Live running, they are way past the point of profit. They can run next gen on all the money they made off of live this gen, including updates.

Its a cheap service for most people. I probably spend more money every month on soda and candy then I do for a a year of Xbox Live. Bear in mind its easy to find a Gold subscription for about $40.

Who cares if Live is past the point of profit? Good for MS. That only happened because people are willingly paying for the service. Anyone who pays for Live is probably aware of the free options. Clearly Live is offering them something the competition is lacking.

Recently Completed
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Mr Puggsly said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Mr Puggsly said:
dsgrue3 said:
Mr Puggsly said:

Its a cheap service for most people. I probably spend more money every month on soda and candy then I do for a a year of Xbox Live. Bear in mind its easy to find a Gold subscription for about $40.

Who cares if Live is past the point of profit? Good for MS. That only happened because people are willingly paying for the service. Anyone who pays for Live is probably aware of the free options. Clearly Live is offering them something the competition is lacking.

People are paying for an image.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
Mr Puggsly said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

What image is that? When was MS considered cool? Did they suddenly become the new Apple?

Xbox Live isn't something you carry around that makes you look cool. Its just an entertainment service. And if offers things I really enjoy that competing platforms can't seem to deliver, fun online games.

Recently Completed

S.T.A.G.E. said:
Mr Puggsly said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Mr Puggsly said:
dsgrue3 said:
Mr Puggsly said:

Kind of like how people just pay for PS+ so they can get that big plus sign by their name on PSN and get all the girls.