By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - The REAL Problem With Xbox Live (OPINION)

thranx said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

COD is the main reason people pay for gold, which is why Activision wanted a piece of the profits. Halo is Microsofts main exclusive. Don't put the cart before the horse. 

http://www.lazygamer.net/xbox-360/did-you-know-activision-is-getting-a-cut-of-your-xbox-live-gold-membership/

Activision gets $5 off the top every month per gamer person from Xbox Live. This is the reason Microsoft raised the price of Xbox Live. These American corporations are taking advantage of the gamers. If you dont like COD, it doesn't matter because you're paying Activision as well as Microsoft now to use your online.

COD is also the most used game on PSN, but you dont see Activision trying to get a cut from Sony. Want to know why? Sony isn't exploiting the gamers.

That is incorrect. They get a portion of the 5 dollars per month. 5 dollars is the total cost of liver per month, and activision gets a portion of it, but it doesn't say how big or what percentage that portion is.

Wait wait wait. Aren't the servers Microsoft's? Shouldn't there be even less reason for Activision to get any money from Live? So Activision doesn't have to provide server support and gets paid? What's going on?

Before the PS3 everyone was nice to me :(

Around the Network
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Mr Puggsly said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Mr Puggsly said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Mr Puggsly said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

Question, what exclusive content? 

Answer, apps you won't find on other platforms and exclusive games.

An example, Halo 4. A very sexy game that you can't play it online for free anywhere.

Apps? Really? You act like Sony and Nintendo dont have the ones that matter. Halo 4 isnt an argument, its a game and Microsoft locks you out from playing it online if you dont pay them ontop of buying the game.

The 360 has the ones that matter and more that matter to people who want those apps.

Halo 4 absolutely is an argument. I can't play it anywhere else or for free and its a reason I feel Gold is worth having.

Just give up, you aren't winning this argument.

What does that even mean? The 360 has the ones that matter? Halo is a selling point for the console and Sony has the same multiplats that can be played without paying for online. Halo 4 is not an argument, it is a game. An online perk, is an online perk (online enhancers, innovative applications, etc.)...keep games out of it. Focus on the online (Unless you can explain how Xbox Lives amazing service enhances the online playability of games.) You're arguing that Halo makes the Xbox 360 the more valuable console, not exactly the most valuable online service. 

You said, "Apps? Really? You act like Sony and Nintendo dont have the ones that matter."
I responded, "The 360 has the ones that matter and more that matter to people who want those apps."

"Halo is a selling point for the console and Sony has the same multiplats that can be played without paying for online."

I've said many times before if you just wanna play games or use apps free elsewhere than its makes no sense to pay for Live. But since the PS3 doesn't have the games I enjoy... I pay for Live.

"You're arguing that Halo makes the Xbox 360 the more valuable console, not exactly the most valuable online service."

God damn right that's my arugment. Halo does make the 360 a valuable console and its a big reason people subscribe to Gold. You're telling me not to focus on games when that is the biggest reason people pay for Gold. This is a ridiculous argument.

COD is the main reason people pay for gold, which is why Activision wanted a piece of the profits. Halo is Microsofts main exclusive. Don't put the cart before the horse. 

http://www.lazygamer.net/xbox-360/did-you-know-activision-is-getting-a-cut-of-your-xbox-live-gold-membership/

Activision gets $5 off the top every month per gamer person from Xbox Live. This is the reason Microsoft raised the price of Xbox Live. These American corporations are taking advantage of the gamers. If you dont like COD, it doesn't matter because you're paying Activision as well as Microsoft now to use your online.

COD is also the most used game on PSN, but you dont see Activision trying to get a cut from Sony. Want to know why? Sony isn't exploiting the gamers.

And yet I remmember you saying that it took no more than 5 million people to pay off XBL. Smooth job. 

Yay!!!

Chark said:
thranx said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

That is incorrect. They get a portion of the 5 dollars per month. 5 dollars is the total cost of liver per month, and activision gets a portion of it, but it doesn't say how big or what percentage that portion is.

Wait wait wait. Aren't the servers Microsoft's? Shouldn't there be even less reason for Activision to get any money from Live? So Activision doesn't have to provide server support and gets paid? What's going on?

Not sure why you qouted me.

Microsoft does not have dedicated servers for games on xbox live. They use a peer to peer system so there are not servers for games unless the devolper/publisher decide to do so.

Microsoft own and runs the match making servers.  These have the programming to help match people against like opponets and all games must use this system. (its what I like about xbox live)

As far as I know for PSN each developer has their own match making (or can choose to do so)

I think xbox live helps out devs alot also becuase MS foots the bill for bandwidth. I am not sure but I think that sony charges developers for it.

Activision flexed their muscle and basically extorted ms for the money. Thats my view of that whole deal.

Wh1pL4shL1ve_007 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Mr Puggsly said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Mr Puggsly said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Mr Puggsly said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

An example, Halo 4. A very sexy game that you can't play it online for free anywhere.

Apps? Really? You act like Sony and Nintendo dont have the ones that matter. Halo 4 isnt an argument, its a game and Microsoft locks you out from playing it online if you dont pay them ontop of buying the game.

The 360 has the ones that matter and more that matter to people who want those apps.

Halo 4 absolutely is an argument. I can't play it anywhere else or for free and its a reason I feel Gold is worth having.

What does that even mean? The 360 has the ones that matter? Halo is a selling point for the console and Sony has the same multiplats that can be played without paying for online. Halo 4 is not an argument, it is a game. An online perk, is an online perk (online enhancers, innovative applications, etc.)...keep games out of it. Focus on the online (Unless you can explain how Xbox Lives amazing service enhances the online playability of games.) You're arguing that Halo makes the Xbox 360 the more valuable console, not exactly the most valuable online service. 

You said, "Apps? Really? You act like Sony and Nintendo dont have the ones that matter."
I responded, "The 360 has the ones that matter and more that matter to people who want those apps."

"Halo is a selling point for the console and Sony has the same multiplats that can be played without paying for online."

I've said many times before if you just wanna play games or use apps free elsewhere than its makes no sense to pay for Live. But since the PS3 doesn't have the games I enjoy... I pay for Live.

"You're arguing that Halo makes the Xbox 360 the more valuable console, not exactly the most valuable online service."

God damn right that's my arugment. Halo does make the 360 a valuable console and its a big reason people subscribe to Gold. You're telling me not to focus on games when that is the biggest reason people pay for Gold. This is a ridiculous argument.

And yet I remmember you saying that it took no more than 5 million people to pay off XBL. Smooth job. 

Pachter said that and I agree, the first five million Xbox Live subscribers pretty much paid off the venture and everything else was pure profit. Activision saw the unbelievable profit Xbox Live was making and Microsoft was boasting how COD was the best game on their console and blah, blah, blah, then the devil himself, Bobby Kotick came out of the woodwork and demanded a cut. Microsoft exploited the gamers and don't think for a second Bobby Kotick wouldn't throw fuel on the fire.

thranx said:
Chark said:
thranx said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

Not sure why you qouted me.

Microsoft does not have dedicated servers for games on xbox live. They use a peer to peer system so there are not servers for games unless the devolper/publisher decide to do so.

Microsoft own and runs the match making servers.  These have the programming to help match people against like opponets and all games must use this system. (its what I like about xbox live)

As far as I know for PSN each developer has their own match making (or can choose to do so)

I think xbox live helps out devs alot also becuase MS foots the bill for bandwidth. I am not sure but I think that sony charges developers for it.

Activision flexed their muscle and basically extorted ms for the money. Thats my view of that whole deal.

Microsoft does not foot he bill with bandwith, the paying costumers do. Everywhere else the third parties have to.

Around the Network
thranx said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Mr Puggsly said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Mr Puggsly said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Mr Puggsly said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

Sorry, misworded that, you're correct. Thats what I meant to say.

S.T.A.G.E. said:

Microsoft does not foot he bill with bandwith, the paying costumers do. Everywhere else the third parties have to.

For game updates and dlc they do, and they dont charge for those.

thranx said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

What DLC to be exact? I ask because the last time I checked, everyone has to buy map packs and enhancer DLC. Thanks to Xbox Live EA and Activision are now in a tug of war demanding more money with yearly subscriptions like Elite. Thank god EA just made there premium pack a one time deal since their game isn't an annualized franchise. If it were, they would be going down the same hole Activision is digging with Microsoft.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
thranx said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

What DLC to be exact? I ask because the last time I checked, everyone has to buy map packs and enhancer DLC. Thanks to Xbox Live EA and Activision are now in a tug of war demanding more money with yearly subscriptions like Elite. Thank god EA just made there premium pack a one time deal since their game isn't an annualized franchise. If it were, they would be going down the same hole Activision is digging with Microsoft.

I think your mis understanding me.

When a game gets an update through xbox live microsoft does it over their network so they pay for the bandwidth. Same for DLC.

When a game gets an update through PSN the developer does it off of their servers so they pay for the bandwidth. Same for DLC.

Thats how I understood it last time I read about it.

thranx said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
thranx said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

I think your mis understanding me.

When a game gets an update through xbox live microsoft does it over their network so they pay for the bandwidth. Same for DLC.

When a game gets an update through PSN the developer does it off of their servers so they pay for the bandwidth. Same for DLC.

Thats how I understood it last time I read about it.

We pay for the bandwith and console gamers host servers. 

Check out this video. The series is good as well. Old stuff, but yeah.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqymlqNWiYI