By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - The REAL Problem With Xbox Live (OPINION)

I cannot think of a single XBLA game I have ever seen where there hasn't been a demo for it. Maybe you're thinking of retail? It's night and day different than PSN, where most games I have been interested in have no demo whatsoever. So what happens? I don't buy the game.

Around the Network
J_Allard said:
I cannot think of a single XBLA game I have ever seen where there hasn't been a demo for it. Maybe you're thinking of retail? It's night and day different than PSN, where most games I have been interested in have no demo whatsoever. So what happens? I don't buy the game.

Thats interesting, I mostly go off of reviews. You're probably right about the retail part because my 360 has 320 GB and I was looking to have fully downloadable games as well as XBLA titles and I might have looked at demos for both and considered them one in the same (will check later). The older titles did not interest me in the slightest, but the newer ones like Deadlight, Shadow Complex, etc piqued my interest. In the same vein, i never played a demo for Unfinished Swan, Journey, Flower, Dead Nation (I got that one for free, hehe!) and more but I still loved them as seperate experiences. Personally, as everyone knows, I dont consider Xbox or PSN games a boasting point, but rather a minor thing in the online war between the two companies. Most of the top games are multiplat and the majority of them that even those companies dont have are on Steam, so when I get a huge PC that will be a fairly decent portion of my gaming, I guess. 

Well no offense but that is a shortsighted and foolish stance to take in regards to downloadable games. Some of the best games this gen have been downloadable. And my 360 HDD is chock full of games like Trials Evolution, Shadow Complex, Mark of the Ninja, Guardian Heroes, Perfect Dark HD, Catan, Spelunky, N+, Super Meat Boy, Bastion, Fez, etc etc, games I can't play off of PSN. Not saying PSN doesn't have quality exclusives, but more of them would certainly end up on my HDD if I had a chance to try before I buy but that rarely seems to be the case.

J_Allard said:
Well no offense but that is a shortsighted and foolish stance to take in regards to downloadable games. Some of the best games this gen have been downloadable. And my 360 HDD is chock full of games like Trials Evolution, Shadow Complex, Mark of the Ninja, Guardian Heroes, Perfect Dark HD, Catan, Spelunky, N+, Super Meat Boy, Bastion, Fez, etc etc, games I can't play off of PSN. Not saying PSN doesn't have quality exclusives, but more of them would certainly end up on my HDD if I had a chance to try before I buy but that rarely seems to be the case.

I believe Sony have a game trial feature which is probably easier for devs. You download the entire game but have a 60 minute limit after which you can buy the full game or delete it. It's a relatively new feature so I expect it'll be implemented properly in the future (next gen maybe?).

Mr Puggsly said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

COD is the main reason people pay for gold, which is why Activision wanted a piece of the profits. Halo is Microsofts main exclusive. Don't put the cart before the horse. 

http://www.lazygamer.net/xbox-360/did-you-know-activision-is-getting-a-cut-of-your-xbox-live-gold-membership/

Activision gets $5 off the top every month per gamer person from Xbox Live. This is the reason Microsoft raised the price of Xbox Live. These American corporations are taking advantage of the gamers. If you dont like COD, it doesn't matter because you're paying Activision as well as Microsoft now to use your online.

COD is also the most used game on PSN, but you dont see Activision trying to get a cut from Sony. Want to know why? Sony isn't exploiting the gamers.

Activision doesn't get money from Sony because PS3 isn't profitable.

Sony did try exploiting gamers when they released a $600 console. They wanted consumers to have Bluray so they could make money on Bluray royalties. Don't think that turned out very well.

You don't have proof Activision gets $5 and I do feel they deserve some money given how many subscribers they brought. I presume the money they get from MS is also why the 360 gets DLC first.

I don't think that counts as exploitation considering they lost $200+ per console. Business insanity is more like it.

Around the Network
S.T.A.G.E. said:
J_Allard said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
J_Allard said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

Microsoft does not foot he bill with bandwith, the paying costumers do. Everywhere else the third parties have to.

Which is awesome and I am glad part of my fee goes to cover the bandwidth required to make sure every XBLA game has a demo. It's one of the advantages Live has over PSN.

Psychologically it is an advantage, but they are both pretty much the same.

Uh.. no. Having demos for every game is a plus for all parties involved, whether its MS, the developers, or the consumers. And its one you don't even have to be a Gold member to take advantage of.

Not all of them have a demo, but quite a few do. On PSN its very similar where some of the PSN exclusives or other games have demos. PSN Plus gets you a discount though. I got Outland for free recently and I must say it was a brilliant game. Thank goodness I held out on getting it on my 360. Oh yes, speaking of early viewing, I hate that youu cannot view avatars, or themes on Xbox Live. You don't know what you're getting into and theres no refund, its annoying to have to constantly go onto Youtube and look it up. PSN has always had a theme and avatar viewer, but now its even better with their update to the store, which is sooooooooooooooo...much better aesthetically and paints a much better picture of their product.

All games on xbox live have some kind of demo or time trial. its a requirement from MS

J_Allard said:

Journey is probably the best downloadable game/experience I've played in years (Hope it gets GOTY) but no, I dont consider them to be anything to boast about. Microsoft and Sony share the majority of them as it is. 

This thread has just boiled down to a bunch of people that are unfamiliar with the other systems online features arguing about stuff they don't actually know about...

You guys should stop arguing and go play some games. Everything that needs to be said on this subject has been said.

dsgrue3 said:
Mr Puggsly said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

COD is the main reason people pay for gold, which is why Activision wanted a piece of the profits. Halo is Microsofts main exclusive. Don't put the cart before the horse. 

http://www.lazygamer.net/xbox-360/did-you-know-activision-is-getting-a-cut-of-your-xbox-live-gold-membership/

Activision gets $5 off the top every month per gamer person from Xbox Live. This is the reason Microsoft raised the price of Xbox Live. These American corporations are taking advantage of the gamers. If you dont like COD, it doesn't matter because you're paying Activision as well as Microsoft now to use your online.

COD is also the most used game on PSN, but you dont see Activision trying to get a cut from Sony. Want to know why? Sony isn't exploiting the gamers.

Sony did try exploiting gamers when they released a $600 console. They wanted consumers to have Bluray so they could make money on Bluray royalties. Don't think that turned out very well.

You don't have proof Activision gets $5 and I do feel they deserve some money given how many subscribers they brought. I presume the money they get from MS is also why the 360 gets DLC first.

...No. The technology was expensive and selling at a loss. That isn't exploiting anyone but themselves.

Sony pushed BR because they were one of the biggest manufacturers of BR players, not for royalties as Sony is only one of many companies that own patents on BR:

CyberLink Corporation
Dell Inc.
Hewlett-Packard Company
Hitachi Ltd.
Koninklijke Philips Electronics N.V.
LG Electronics Inc.
Matsushita Electric Industrial Co., Ltd. (Panasonic)
Mitsubishi Electric Corporation
Pioneer Corporation
Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd.
Sanyo Electric Co., Ltd.
Sharp Corporation
Sonic Solutions
Sony Corporation
TDK Corporation
Victor Company of Japan (JVC, minority owned by Matsushita), Ltd.
Warner Home Video Inc.

Sony is a big company, I doubt those other many companies have an equal share of profits.

You don't take a big risk unless you expect a big reward. Sony is the only company on that list that took a big risk and it cost them billions of dollars that PS3 will never recover.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Mr Puggsly said:
dsgrue3 said:
Mr Puggsly said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

...No. The technology was expensive and selling at a loss. That isn't exploiting anyone but themselves.

Sony pushed BR because they were one of the biggest manufacturers of BR players, not for royalties as Sony is only one of many companies that own patents on BR:

CyberLink Corporation
Dell Inc.
Hewlett-Packard Company
Hitachi Ltd.
Koninklijke Philips Electronics N.V.
LG Electronics Inc.
Matsushita Electric Industrial Co., Ltd. (Panasonic)
Mitsubishi Electric Corporation
Pioneer Corporation
Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd.
Sanyo Electric Co., Ltd.
Sharp Corporation
Sonic Solutions
Sony Corporation
TDK Corporation
Victor Company of Japan (JVC, minority owned by Matsushita), Ltd.
Warner Home Video Inc.

Sony is a big company, I doubt those other many companies have an equal share of profits.

You don't take a big risk unless you expect a big reward. Sony is the only company on that list that took a big risk and it cost them billions of dollars that PS3 will never recover.

They will recover it in parts after the ten year plan is over. All the doom and gloom is overkill, the PSP Vita is another issue.