By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - 3 Reasons Sony's PS Vita Will Crush Handheld Competitors

A Google search on the PS Vita yields hundreds of stories about Sony’s dual-stick, powerhouse handheld’s “disappointing sales.” It’s too expensive, lacks a decent library of games and worst of all, it’s irrelevant since millions of consumers play games for free on mobile phones and tablets. Truth be told, I wasthisclose to selling my PS Vita for the same reasons. But now it appears Sony is ready to lay a serious smack down on competitors (and whiny gamers) thanks to three brilliant moves pulled off this week. 

Price drop. High price might be the biggest bone of contention for many who have considered buying the PS Vita but have been holding off, waiting for an “inevitable” price drop. Between the device, proprietary memory card, games and accessories, the PS Vita ain’t cheap, that’s for sure. But now that attractive bundles are available (Call of Duty: Black Ops and Assassins Creed: Liberation for $199 on Black Friday!) it’s time to pull the trigger.

PlayStation Plus. The recent Firmware 2.0 update now means the generousPlayStation Plus program of the PS3 extends to the PS Vita. After the firmware update, I received my “Instant Game Collection” I was too cheap to buy the first time around: Uncharted: Golden Abyss,Gravity RushwipEout 2048 and Jet Set Radio. Nice.

Games. A handheld is only as good as the games it plays and the PS Vita is now firing on all cylinders. In addition to the aforementioned, there’s Persona 4 Golden, PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale, Jetpack Joyride, Ragnarok Odyssey, a new Ratchet and Clank in January and Killzone: Mercenary to look forward to. Let’s not forget about PlayStation One classics, hundreds of “Minis” and independent games like Retro City Rampage.

Clearly, the PS Vita loves you. Now it’s time to love it back.

Source: http://www.forbes.com/sites/sap/2012/11/23/3-reasons-sonys-ps-vita-will-crush-handheld-competitors/

Take that bitches!

Around the Network

I think sony will be crushed..

After this cristmas.. apple or samsung will buy the pieces (and shotdown vita) but let's see..

mayby this "one" optimist will be right insteed.. but I doubt it..

i'm very happy with all the offers for the first month of ps+ on vita. instaled gravity rush, uncharted and mutant blobs attack. having lots of fun =D

FromDK said:

After this cristmas.. apple or samsung will buy the pieces (and shotdown vita) but let's see..

I doubt either of those two would try to pick them up.  I could see someone like Google doing it tho, or hell Amazon (they already have tablets for their own app store, why not go for phones/game consoles/ others as well)? I dont think it will come to this tho.

This article is interesting, espeically with all the doom and gloom they have thrown at the Vita (rightfully so in most regards).  I love my Vita, it is an awesome piece of equipment, but when Im going to end up with more PSP games than Vita games for it, there is a problem.

Seems like Forbes has been a bit schizophrenic with its opinions on the Vita lately, ripping the 4k Japan sales on the same day that they think it's going to 'crush' competitors.

The actual sentiment of this article is nice, that there's a lot of good reasons present & upcoming to invest in the console, but the whole 'crush the competitors' thing is a ridiculous hyperbolic statement that I don't think even the most hardened Vita supporter could believe has any basis in reality.

Around the Network

When I saw that I had access to Uncharted Golden Abyss, Gravity Rush, and Wipeout 2048 for free, I actually considered for a moment getting a Vita.

And then I realized that I'm a poor college student who doesn't play video games nearly as often as he used to.

Been away for a bit, but sneaking back in.

Gaming on: PS4, PC, 3DS. Got a Switch! Mainly to play Smash

That all sounds like good news for Vita owners and even prospective owners, but for Vita to 'crush' the competition it will require, probably, the greatest turn around of fortunes ever seen in the video game industry.

"Forbes BrandVoice™ allows marketers to connect directly with the Forbes audience by enabling them to create content – and participate in the conversation – on the Forbes digital publishing platform. Each BrandVoice™ is written, edited and produced by the marketer. "

So this is basically direct marketing? An advertorial...

starcraft: "I and every PS3 fanboy alive are waiting for Versus more than FFXIII.
Me since the games were revealed, the fanboys since E3."

Skeeuk: "playstation 3 is the ultimate in gaming acceleration"

Ssenkahdavic said:
FromDK said:

I doubt either of those two would try to pick them up.  I could see someone like Google doing it tho, or hell Amazon (they already have tablets for their own app store, why not go for phones/game consoles/ others as well)? I dont think it will come to this tho.

Google could to.. i agree (and mayby amazon.. don't know them that much.. i'm from eu

But i still think apple or samsung are more likly.. Apple becurse of the ps brand and tv/screen division.. and all the patents sony has.. Samsung for the game patents and knowhow,the ps brand and all the games already made (owned by sony) they could sell/include in thire smart tv.. and offcourse so that apple don't do a "apple" on them.. meaning gets sony tv patent and then go after samsung in court.. claming they invent the tv.. :)

No matter how you spin it, it's nice to read something positive about the Vita for a change.
Go Vita!