By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - When will the PS4 release?

When will the PS4 release?

2012 5 2.01%

2013 87 34.94%

2014 119 47.79%

2015 10 4.02%

Later? 4 1.61%

NEVER!? 24 9.64%

Total:249

Same time as the next Box, Holidays of 2013.

Around the Network

late 2013 but a botch launch, games won't be to impressive but i think this is way better then to wait for late 2014, to give the wii U a 2 years head start and 1 year to the 720 would be suicidal for Sony

Bet reminder: I bet with Tboned51 that Splatoon won't reach the 1 million shipped mark by the end of 2015. I win if he loses and I lose if I lost.

Depends on what Sony plans do to with their road show. 2012 is pretty much over so you have 1 year to get as much information out as possible for a 2013 release and that sounds too far fetched (given Nintendo did 2 e3's for the Wii U). So im looking at 2014 early fall.

Ill put the next xbox in the same boat, not enough information out, and the year being over would mean trying to get as much info out in the space of 12 months, and that seems impossible.

Late 2013/Early 2014 Launch.

With a showing at E3 2013.

d21lewis said:

I have a gut feeling that we won't see a fourth Playstation Home console until 2015.  Partly due to the fact that the PS3 still has the potential to wow us with its graphics.  Partly because of Sony's financial status and how expensive it is to launch a new console.  Partly because of some other third thing (Spongebob movie reference).  I think Sony is going to be extremely late to the party.  You?

Yes, Sony will be late to the party but I think many people seem to be getting ahead of themselves in thinking that, "releasing a console late is a bad idea". When the PS3 launch it had several factors going against it:

1. The PS3 had a horrible psn service. I mean it was just downright awful. The user interface was bad, you couldn't send messages "in-game", and there was no trophy support etc. 2. The price of the PS3 console was ludicrous. Paying £500/$600 for a console is unacceptable. If I remember correctly, the 3DO had a similar price tag back in the early 1990's and became a failure. 3. Cell. Yes the cell which powered the PS3 was difficult to work with and thus deprived the PS3 from potentially producing out a huge volume of games in the early going. 4. Loss of major franchises. The PS3 lost some of the biggest franchises that had been exclusive to the PS2. Final Fantasy, GTA, Tekken, Street Fighter and the new Assassin's Creed were originally meant to be PS3 exclusives.  Provided that the PS4 "delivers" on its promise then it should be a major success. Even more so than the PS1 and PS 2.

Around the Network
Queuing_for_PS4 said:
d21lewis said:

I have a gut feeling that we won't see a fourth Playstation Home console until 2015.  Partly due to the fact that the PS3 still has the potential to wow us with its graphics.  Partly because of Sony's financial status and how expensive it is to launch a new console.  Partly because of some other third thing (Spongebob movie reference).  I think Sony is going to be extremely late to the party.  You?

Yes, Sony will be late to the party but I think many people seem to be getting ahead of themselves in thinking that, "releasing a console late is a bad idea". When the PS3 launch it had several factors going against it:

1. The PS3 had a horrible psn service. I mean it was just downright awful. The user interface was bad, you couldn't send messages "in-game", and there was no trophy support etc. 2. The price of the PS3 console was ludicrous. Paying £500/$600 for a console is unacceptable. If I remember correctly, the 3DO had a similar price tag back in the early 1990's and became a failure. 3. Cell. Yes the cell which powered the PS3 was difficult to work with and thus deprived the PS3 from potentially producing out a huge volume of games in the early going. 4. Loss of major franchises. The PS3 lost some of the biggest franchises that had been exclusive to the PS2. Final Fantasy, GTA, Tekken, Street Fighter and the new Assassin's Creed were originally meant to be PS3 exclusives.  Provided that the PS4 "delivers" on its promise then it should be a major success. Even more so than the PS1 and PS 2.

Welcome to VGChartz!

Anyway, the way I see it, the PS4 should launch when the time is right.  Whether that's before the next Xbox or after is up to them.  If it makes money and gets a good following, it won't matter if it's first or last in sales.  Sony should just focus on doing everything right.

Honestly I would say spring 2014 is crucial for a worldwide release but I think they will only launch in japan in spring 2014. I really wouldn't like to say when sony launches. They don't seem ready like the others. Unless they are extremely good at keeping secrets. Sure developers have been working with ps4 for some time now but given the situation with the vita right now it would make it seem like a late 2013/early 2014 release it rushing it just to keep up with xbox.

Their schedule seems way behind microsoft.

One more thing to complete my year = senran kagura localization =D

kowenicki said:
teigaga said:
kowenicki said:
weaveworld said:
I agree.
Late 2014 would be my guess. Which would mean the library of the ps3 will become as awesome as their prior systems libraries.
All the 'ooooo amazing graphics threads' consist of mostly 2 (sometimes4/5) games. No way in hell that system is exhausted.

This is partially true but it completely misses the point.

this is a business decision first and foremost and if Sony go through the whole of 2013 and most of 2014 with just vita and ps3 they will be looking at some sorry level of sales.   They will also be looking at a major problem in Japan where the WiiU will have cornered the market totally, similarly in the US the new Xbox will be dominant. They would have a mountain to climb.

sales =/= profit

Goal of any business is to make profit. The only reason why they would launch a PS4 before late 2014 is out of fear of loosing a potential market to 720 or as you said the wii U in japan. Although, developer support for the wii U may just mean more developer support for the ps3, sony could go on the price offensive over there to compete with nintendo. I would personlly like to see them arrive late, lauch with a very powerfull system, a high premium price ($600- with the aim of making profit on every system not soon after launch) but the exclusives and application to back up the price. It won't sell the most systems, but financially it may make sense, although it may not please short sighted shareholders.

I guarantee that would fail.  it would be suicide.

I would'nt expect to be the leader in system sales, but why would it be suicide?

the next xbox and playstation will release around the same time. theres no way sony will release the ps4 at the end of 2014 if a new xbox is released in 2013. they know how damaging it could be to release a year later again.

I probably won't have any interest in a PS4 until at least 2015.

Been away for a bit, but sneaking back in.

Gaming on: PS4, PC, 3DS. Got a Switch! Mainly to play Smash