By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - When will the PS4 release?

When will the PS4 release?

2012 5 2.01%

2013 87 34.94%

2014 119 47.79%

2015 10 4.02%

Later? 4 1.61%

NEVER!? 24 9.64%

Total:249

I have a gut feeling that we won't see a fourth Playstation Home console until 2015.  Partly due to the fact that the PS3 still has the potential to wow us with its graphics.  Partly because of Sony's financial status and how expensive it is to launch a new console.  Partly because of some other third thing (Spongebob movie reference).  I think Sony is going to be extremely late to the party.  You?

Around the Network

I agree.
Late 2014 would be my guess. Which would mean the library of the ps3 will become as awesome as their prior systems libraries.
All the 'ooooo amazing graphics threads' consist of mostly 2 (sometimes4/5) games. No way in hell that system is exhausted.

kowenicki said:
weaveworld said:
I agree.
Late 2014 would be my guess. Which would mean the library of the ps3 will become as awesome as their prior systems libraries.
All the 'ooooo amazing graphics threads' consist of mostly 2 (sometimes4/5) games. No way in hell that system is exhausted.

This is partially true but it completely misses the point.

this is a business decision first and foremost and if Sony go through the whole of 2013 and most of 2014 with just vita and ps3 they will be looking at some sorry level of sales.   They will also be looking at a major problem in Japan where the WiiU will have cornered the market totally, similarly in the US the new Xbox will be dominant. They would have a mountain to climb.

Sir? Completely misses what point?

I hope they release in 2013, because MS are very likely too and it would be a massive mistake to let MS have a 1 year lead and Wii U a 2 year lead., but knowing Sony they will probably release it in 2014.

I think the next Xbox will release late 2013 and the PS4 will release late 2014.

Around the Network

February 2014

Atto Suggests...:

Book - Malazan Book of the Fallen series 

Game - Metro Last Light

TV - Deadwood

Music - Forest Swords 

Attoyou said:
February 2014

Who lauches a console in February!?  That would be suicide.  That would be like cutting a console's life short before it even came out of the womb.  Then, you'd have MONTHS of doom threads and would probably have to hope for some sort of Assassins Creed or Call of Duty title to save your console.  Nobody at Sony would make such a boneheaded decision.

kowenicki said:
weaveworld said:
kowenicki said:
weaveworld said:
I agree.

This is partially true but it completely misses the point.

this is a business decision first and foremost and if Sony go through the whole of 2013 and most of 2014 with just vita and ps3 they will be looking at some sorry level of sales.   They will also be looking at a major problem in Japan where the WiiU will have cornered the market totally, similarly in the US the new Xbox will be dominant. They would have a mountain to climb.

Sir? Completely misses what point?

It isn't about the ability of a console to be pushed a little further. It's about the public perception of an old console versus a new console and about saturation of a market. 

As I said, it is a business decision, not a decision based on the ability of a developer to squeeze more out of a console. 

And now you are missing my point... I was trying to tell you that there was no point to be made whatsoever, so how can i miss it?

(ps you're stating opinion as fact ;p)

I still think it will be in late 2013 probably not ww though

R.I.P Mr Iwata :'(

I want to say next Christmas, but I doubt it, although Sony currently doesn't have any games for the PS3 for 2014, neither do many 3rd Party publisher's :/

From Sony's financial's though, I doubt they'd want to release a new console since their funds to support the system are so lackluster (although, maybe that works the other way? They already have a junk rating, why not go for it and try capture the hole market early, bit of crazy logic but they don't have much to lose at this point >.>)