By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Xperia marketshare

3rds the new 1st with Sony

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Around the Network

And the MS fanboys complain and act like victims when the Sony fans go in the MS section to talk shit, as if they don't do the same shit in the Sony section

Bet reminder: I bet with Tboned51 that Splatoon won't reach the 1 million shipped mark by the end of 2015. I win if he loses and I lose if I lost.

man-bear-pig said:
Turkish said:
kowenicki said:
Just shows doesn't it 3rd place..... with a meagre 5.2%

Samsung utterly dominate smartphones right now.

But still a lot better than those Windows smartphones isn't it. Give it a couple years and Sony will rival Samsung. They already got the better phone in the Xperia T and V.

Wow, now that's crazy talk. There's no way in hell Sony will catch up with Samsung in a few years. Samsung's in a different league (along with Apple). It could overtake HTC and Blackberry by a comfortable amount though

Well Samsung is "the new Sony". 
If Sony gets its shit together, it would mean its taking sales from Samsung.

For Sony's TV/Mobile stuff to start profiting they would need to sell more, for them to sell more people would need to stop buying Samsung products. I don't expect it "overtake" Samsung anytime soon, if ever though.

DirtyP2002 said:
This is a start I guess, eventhough I don't get the point to brag about a 5% market share. Who the hell cares if you are third, fourth or fifth - a 5% market share is not impressive to me.

Same goes for Windows phones in the OS btw.

There are six billion mobile subscribers on this planet. If you can earn just one dollar from 5% of the mobile market, you have just made a $300 million profit. Yes, I'm muddying the waters between smartphones and dumbphones, but smartphones are already tipping the balance in developed countries, with developing countries sure to follow. The future of the whole mobile phone market is what's at stake here.

Sony's problem isn't marketshare, it's that it can't compete on cost and hasn't yet found a differentiator so they can command a premium for their phones and start earning money.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

famousringo said:
DirtyP2002 said:
This is a start I guess, eventhough I don't get the point to brag about a 5% market share. Who the hell cares if you are third, fourth or fifth - a 5% market share is not impressive to me.

There are six billion mobile subscribers on this planet. If you can earn just one dollar from 5% of the mobile market, you have just made a $300 million profit. Yes, I'm muddying the waters between smartphones and dumbphones, but smartphones are already tipping the balance in developed countries, with developing countries sure to follow. The future of the whole mobile phone market is what's at stake here.

Sony's problem isn't marketshare, it's that it can't compete on cost and hasn't yet found a differentiator so they can command a premium for their phones and start earning money.

LOL! Just....no.

There are 7 billion people in the world, you realy thing  a whopping 6 billion of them are paying  a monthly cellphone bill?

Around the Network
VGKing said:
famousringo said:
DirtyP2002 said:

LOL! Just....no.

There are 7 billion people in the world, you realy thing  a whopping 6 billion of them are paying  a monthly cellphone bill?

He exaggerated, but it's still an incredible high number: 75% 

http://mashable.com/2012/07/18/mobile-phones-worldwide/

Nintendo and PC gamer

kowenicki said:
osed125 said:
VGKing said:
famousringo said:
DirtyP2002 said:

LOL! Just....no.

He exaggerated, but it's still an incredible high number: 75% 

http://mashable.com/2012/07/18/mobile-phones-worldwide/

That article is all over the place.

1. 1st it says that 75% of the globe has a mobile phone  (I say bullshit)

2. then it says 6 billion people have a mobile contract (I say bullshit again)

3. then it says that 5 billion of those subscription sare in the developed west!?!?  huh? 

each of those statements is at odds with the other two statements.

I couldn't find any other articles (didn't try that hard tbh), there is also the wikipedia list of countries by number of mobile phones in use, but most of the data is really old, so I didn't use it at first.

Nintendo and PC gamer

VGKing said:
famousringo said:
DirtyP2002 said:

LOL! Just....no.

It would be more accurate to say that there are 6 billion cell phone contracts which are paid. 

It's important to remember that the formula is not:

1 phone = 1 user = 1 contract

Single users can and do have multiple phones and multiple contracts, including pre-paid arrangements as well as monthly post-paid. Some of those subscriptions will be provided by work, others personal. Some might be in use only when traveling to another country. Some are cellular data-only contracts for MiFis, tablets or laptop dongles.

And you would be amazed at how well cell phones do in underdeveloped countries. Economies which would never afford networks of copper wire find a system of radio towers very economical.

Perhaps rather than talking about subscribers, I should have talked about the phones themselves. Nearly 1.8 billion mobile phones were sold in 2011. Apple's marketshare of all mobile phones that year was a measly 5%, but they captured over 80% of all handset maker's profits that year because their product is well-differentiated and can command a premium in both consumer purchases and carrier subsidies.

That's what Sony needs to do, because right now they're just another Android OEM, and Samsung is the only manufacturer making money selling Android phones right now because nobody can beat them on cost.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

maverick40 said:
BasilZero said:

No offense to anyone but I have yet to see a Sony phone owned by anyone.

Everyone I know either owns a iphone or a Samsung phone lol.

(Not even Nokia....l0l)

But good news hat Sony is the 3rd I guess o.o., I hope it grows on them.

In Ireland, you see loads of people with sony phones. Apple, Samsung and Sony dominate in Ireland

then sony has obviously changed a lot within a year... http://www.puca.com/news/puca-releases-irish-smartphone-market-research

walsufnir said:
LivingMetal said:
walsufnir said:
why am i not surprised to read from people here that they own an xperia? ;)
i don't think their smartphones are bad but i don't see where they really differ to other ones.

Why are you not surprised?

well, a lot of people stay at a brand when buying techie-stuff and this site has a *lot* of sony-fans so it's natural that people who post/discuss here also buy sony-smartphones.

Using that logic, would it not be surprising for an Xbox 360 user to downplay any success Sony has since the Xbox 360 is made by Microsoft?