By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii U Launch Titles vs Wii Launch Titles

CCFanboy said:
Michael-5 said:

However Wii U lacks a killer title at launch? Twilight Princess was a port, Wii U has New Super Mario Bros U. This is the first Nintendo home console to launch with a Mario game since N64, but I do agree with what you mean. Wii U lacks a 1st party core exclusive title. Gamecube was so lucky, it had 2 great ones and 2 good ones (Smash Bros, Pikmin, Wave Race, and Luigi's Mansion)

The thing I agree with you on is pikmin 3 (lacking first party games compared to gamecube). I am gutted that hasn't made launch but nintendo is being smart in doing this. There were that many killer first party games on gamecube because gc lacked any real third party support at the time. For wii twilight princess was a port of a gc game so while that is much better then mario u it only made it because it was ported.

In fact coming from somebody who thinks twilight princess is by far the best zelda ever, I would say wii u has it much better. If pikmin and ninja gaiden (in europe) had made launch things would have been absolutely perfect for me. But the only reason twilight princess kept me occupied was because it was so long and I loved it. I bought far cry slightly later and it was horrible. I would say wii u is better by far. Can't say about gc. But wii u has tekken and that is my favourite fighting game. For me, wii u is definitely far superior.

I would rather they spread out the games more then throw all their eggs out at launch. It happened to vita and that caused people to say it has no games shortly after. You can have all the games you want at launch and have the best launch lineup of all time. Or you can make it less appealing and spread the games out over the next few months. Not only does that give sleeper hits a chance to take their place under the spotlight, it gives people a chance to save money for it should they not have enough on launch.

That's a good point, by not having too many first party exclusives, this forces people to by 2nd party games, or games Nintendo is publishing, but not developing. Even the Wii had Metroid Prime 3, Super Smash Bros, Super Mario Galaxy, and Mario Kart all in development when the Wii launched in 2006. Wii U has Pikmin 3, Bayonetta 2, and The Wonderful 101, that's it so far. 2/3 Nintendo major published games aren't even Nintendo developed, they are Platnium Studios, a growing new company this gen responsible for a lot of 9/10+ titles.

Still, I wish Pikmin 3 released before the years end, but I guess a few Spring releases keep momentum up.

S.Peelman said:

While Twilight Princess was indeed a port of the GameCube game, it was released before the original was. So Wii's version of TP was still a new game when it came out. A lot of Zelda-fans probably got the Wii just to play TP a month earlier.

Agree on the rest though.

Good thread idea by the way!

Actually.....the game released on the same day in Japan (So it was a co-release there), and it released only a week later on Gamecube then on Wii in Europe. North America was the only location where TP released 3 weeks later on Gamecube then Wii (Not a month), and that's mainly because the Wii released 2 weeks earlier in NA then anywhere else. Nintendo probably wanted to ensure enough copies were printed for Wii first, and that it was available day 1. So this might not have been done on purpose, this may have just been the only way TP was available on Wii day 1.

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results

Around the Network

"At least New Super Mario Bros U is a new game. Twilight Princess was just a port."

Actually, Twilight Princess was a new game too. It released on Wii before GameCube. This is a fact many people often forget, kind of like how they forget that the analog stick Playstation controller came out after the N64's.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Veknoid_Outcast said:
Love the thread idea! But I agree with Michael-5 that NSMBU counts as a must-have title. Let's wait for all the reviews to come in, but I think the Wii U launch is a lot better than Wii. Twilight Princess is an all-time great game, but the other Wii launch games weren't spectacular.

NSMBU is more of an evergreen title, zelda is more of a day-1 title.  that will have an impact on how each of them aid the wiiU's sales.

Updated the Metascore data.

Love and tolerate.

Honestly, as much as the meta-score doesn't reflect this, I would say that all around the Wii U line-up is stronger ...

While it is still early, Looking at Gamerankings.com of games with 1 or more reviews for the Wii U we have the following games with review scores above 70%:

Mass Effect 3: Special Edition 92.50% - 2 Reviews
NBA 2K13 91.00% - 1 Review
Mighty Switch Force! Hyper Drive Edition 90.00% - 2 Reviews
Call of Duty: Black Ops II 88.50% - 3 Reviews
Assassin's Creed III 85.00% - 1 Review
Darksiders II 83.75% - 4 Reviews
New Super Mario Bros. U 83.64% - 21 Reviews
Batman: Arkham City - Armored Edition 82.86% - 7 Reviews
Madden NFL 13 81.50% - 2 Reviews
Scribblenauts Unlimited 80.08% - 6 Reviews
FIFA Soccer 13 80.00% - 3 Reviews
Little Inferno 80.00% - 1 Review
Tekken Tag Tournament 2: Wii U Edition 77.50% - 2 Reviews
Nintendo Land 75.94% - 18 Reviews
ZombiU 73.21% - 19 Reviews
Chasing Aurora 72.50% -2 Reviews

For the Wii we have the following games released in 2006
The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess 94.51% - 83 Reviews
Madden NFL 07 80.67% - 37 Reviews
Trauma Center: Second Opinion 80.47% - 55 Reviews
Rayman Raving Rabbids 76.72% - 52 Reviews
Wii Sports 76.22% - 60 Reviews
Elebits 75.75% 46 Reviews
Excite Truck 75.19% - 67 Reviews
Marvel: Ultimate Alliance 73.96% - 35 Reviews
Metal Slug Anthology 73.94% - 54 Reviews
Super Monkey Ball: Banana Blitz 73.41% - 56 Reviews
Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi 2 72.91% - 40 Reviews
Super Swing Golf 70.99% - 42 Reviews
Disney's Chicken Little: Ace in Action 70.77% - 11 Reviews

Over time, with more reviews, many of the games in the Wii U line-up will (probably) see their scores decline somewhat and the Wii U (probably) won't have a game as highly reviewed as Twilight Princess, but the Wii U will likely have 8 to 10 third party published games that are "better" than the best third party effort for the Wii.

Around the Network
Yeah, NSMBU may not be the caliber of game as something like Twilight Princess but at least it's a new game. TP was just a port. Wii lacked any true exclusive great launch games. 

WTF? Wii Sports was the system seller.

01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01001001 01111001 01101111 01101100 01100001 01101000 00100001 00100000 01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01000101 01110100 01100101 01110010 01101110 01101001 01110100 01111001 00100001 00100000

Another Update, this time including eShop games. Note the high reviews for games like Mighty Switch Force, Assassin's Creed 3, and Black Ops 2.

Love and tolerate.

Yet another update, for Little Inferno and Tekken.

Love and tolerate.

Transformers Prime Added

Love and tolerate.

Another few scores added or changed.

Love and tolerate.