By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - 2K president: 'There's nothing in my body doubting that the Wii U will be successful'

WindyCityHeat said:

I just want the sales data to either prove me wrong or right, the guessing game is getting old. I can't help shake the notion that wiiu sales will literally drop off a cliff within 4 months. Wii type levels, duking it out with vitafor 5th place.

Prove meh wrong lol. Galaxy S2.

Wow that was a pretty harsh prediction.  Duking it out with the Vita... Yikes. Desktop PC

Around the Network
Soundwave said:
I don't see GTA selling that great on the Wii U anyway so what's the point. The audience for that game is pretty firmly on the PS3/360 and isn't moving to the Wii U to be able to play the game with a map on the touchscreen.

That's a load of bull Soundwave. I know quite a few here, in these very forums, who own both a wii and a HD-twin. Now, why is that? Is that because they are happy with only playing Nintendo games? Obviously not! They have the HD twins so that they can enjoy 3rd party games as well!

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

DanneSandin said:
Soundwave said:
I don't see GTA selling that great on the Wii U anyway so what's the point. The audience for that game is pretty firmly on the PS3/360 and isn't moving to the Wii U to be able to play the game with a map on the touchscreen.

That's a load of bull Soundwave. I know quite a few here, in these very forums, who own both a wii and a HD-twin. Now, why is that? Is that because they are happy with only playing Nintendo games? Obviously not! They have the HD twins so that they can enjoy 3rd party games as well!

There are a few, though how many fit into that "quite" categorey is debatable. Few might be the operative word there. 

Rockstar did make an exclusive Grand Theft Auto for the Nintendo DS when it had a massive userbase, and they were dissapointed with its sales. The Wii also got ports of things like Godfather and Bully which generally flopped. I get their skepticism. The demographic just isn't there and it's not Rockstar/Take 2's job to build it.  

Soundwave said:
DanneSandin said:
Soundwave said:

There are a few, though how many fit into that "quite" categorey is debatable. Few might be the operative word there. 

Rockstar did make an exclusive Grand Theft Auto for the Nintendo DS when it had a massive userbase, and they were dissapointed with its sales. The Wii also got ports of things like Godfather and Bully which generally flopped. I get their skepticism. The demographic just isn't there and it's not Rockstar/Take 2's job to build it.  

Putting a AAA franchise and think it'll generate as much money as on a home console is plain stupid. VERY few franchises can do that. Just look at the Vita; AAA games don't belong on hand helds. So, bad example.

If the only thing that seperates consoles were the first party line up, Nintendo would win by a land slide; If Wii U were just as good as PS720 and received the same amount of 3rd party support it would crush the competition. THEN it would truely be a console for both hardcore and casual. I just wonder if Nintendo gets this...

Soundwave said:

Rockstar did make an exclusive Grand Theft Auto for the Nintendo DS when it had a massive userbase, and they were dissapointed with its sales.

GTA: Chinatown Wars sales on PSP are much lower than on DS, despite the fact that the PSP was the GTA-Handheld. Chinatown Wars was obviously a relatively cheap produced game anyway. Rockstar never said that the DS sales was dissapointing, only one Analysts said that the sales were to low.

Around the Network
Mr Khan said:

Put up or shut the hell up, Hartmann

Don't worry, he will put up. Carnival games U is coming, also Carnival games sports party and maybe even carnival games platforming galaxy.

DanneSandin said:

Putting a AAA franchise and think it'll generate as much money as on a home console is plain stupid. VERY few franchises can do that. Just look at the Vita; AAA games don't belong on hand helds. So, bad example.

Not that I don't agree with the sentiment, but I think attacking Chinatown Wars is a bad example.  That game was PERFECT for playing on the go and made even more perfect for the DS-specific stuff they put into it.  And it reflected in the review scores:

http://www.metacritic.com/game/ds/grand-theft-auto-chinatown-wars

It was a great example of how to put an AAA franchise onto a handheld.  Sadly, it never took off in sales like it should.  Not bad by any stretch, but not great either.

Kresnik said:
DanneSandin said:

Not that I don't agree with the sentiment, but I think attacking Chinatown Wars is a bad example.  That game was PERFECT for playing on the go and made even more perfect for the DS-specific stuff they put into it.  And it reflected in the review scores:

http://www.metacritic.com/game/ds/grand-theft-auto-chinatown-wars

It was a great example of how to put an AAA franchise onto a handheld.  Sadly, it never took off in sales like it should.  Not bad by any stretch, but not great either.

I've never played it myself, so I wouldn't know; but I'm sure you're right about that. Weird how certain games sell on hand held, and others don't...

Soundwave said:
DanneSandin said:
Soundwave said:

They made a game about "China Town Wars" and not Vice City or San Andreas. The game didn't sell anywhere else either, for good reason.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Soundwave said:

We already said the problem was piracy. Not the demographic. If it is the demographic then why did it sell less on psp? The skepticism is coming from Zelnick. Nobody at rockstar or take 2 has yet to say they are skeptical or anything. Zelnick is just coming out with the old ceo douchebaggery. These ceos are always high on their own power. He is acting just like Bobby was 3 years ago.

It wouldn't matter what 'skepticism' anyone there has nintendo can make any number of zeros appear in that cheque book of their's. Skepticism over. Covering most of the cost of a port would sort it. As far as I'm concerned the audience is there. The guys who own ps3 and 360 just don't buy them when the option is given to them.

One more thing to complete my year = senran kagura localization =D