By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Should I buy a Wii U??? (I'm a PS3 fan)

Tagged games:

No

Any message from Faxanadu is written in good faith but shall neither be binding nor construed as constituting a commitment by Faxanadu except where provided for in a written agreement signed by an authorized representative of Faxanadu. This message is intended for the use of the forum members only.

The views expressed here may be personal and/or offensive and are not necessarily the views of Faxanadu.

Around the Network
Laurel Aitken said:

Hi!I've been wondering if I should buy a Wii U (I'm going to make a trip to the states and I can get it cheap).

I'm what you would call a Sony fanboy, I had a nes, a snes a gb, and a gba. But my gaming live changed when I got my PS. That's whe I started to REaLLY enjoy gaming (thanks to RPG's). At that moment, I never looked back and only played sony consoles.

But, in recent times I've had nintendo nostalgia. I miss some of those games. Plus, my GF has a wii, and I've had a blast playing it with her. I've only played Mario Kart and NSMBW (but they are serious fun). And I've only played multiplayer with her and her family.

I've been thinking in buying a WiiU for her. She almost only enjoys Mario games ans mini-games. She specially enjoys games with local multiplayer. I also think we could both enjoy the system (and I could in a future use it to play games like Zelda). 

My main questions are:

How's the local multiplayer experience on the WiiU??? Is it like the Wii? Or more like the PS3 and 360???

Having one player using a tablet controller and the other a classic or Wii controller diminishes the experience???

Do you think a Wii ->WiiU upgrade is good for her??? or would she be equally happy with just the Wii.

This questions are because I've had the impressio nthat this console is build more towards a "solo experience" rather than a family experience. 

Thank guys!!!

Yes you should buy it

Nintendo consoles are always king on quality of local multiplayer. They spend far more energy on local multiplayer than anybody else and it's one of the key complains of the "core" gamers who prefer online multiplayer options getting some attention.

Games that have local multiplayer on Wii U can be put in few categories

1) Everyone uses the same controller so WiiMotionPlus + Nunchuk or Pro Controllers - This would be most familiar to your past experience

2) 1 Player uses Gamepad and others use other controllers for Asymetric Play experiences. These are a blast. Nintendo Land best example of it.

3) 1 Players uses Gamepad and plays only on Gamepad, while another player plays on TV screen with other controller. This type of setup can allow co-op where each player gets their own screen, no 3D-glasses and perfect viewing angles involved, from same base console. Same room co-op with your own screen

Launch library already covers each of these possible local multiplayer categories

It also has online multiplayer options in games that align and compare directly to PS3. Also free online like PS3.

For your last question... on whether the upgrade good for you GF. The Wii is dead, long live the Wii U

Laurel Aitken said:

This questions are because I've had the impressio nthat this console is build more towards a "solo experience" rather than a family experience. 

Yes, it is for we and there is something for you too!

If money is not a big deal, go for it. Co-op games are pretty plentiful on the system already, your girlfriend will like it if she likes Mario games.

As you said though you're a Sony fanboy, so you might want to make sure you are ready to pony up $400+ again next fall for a PS4 though too.

I do think despite Nintendo saying "no", the Wii U will be getting at least a $50 price drop before the PS4/720 come out next year. Obviously though I'm assuming you know the pitfalls that coming with being an early adopter.

New Super Mario Bros. U

Nintendo Land

Mario Party

Mario Kart

The Legend of Zelda

Super Smash Brothers

It is up to you whether you want to ignore these (and many other upcoming) single- and multiplayer experiences. If you truly love your girlfriend though, there are no options.

Around the Network

U should buy it, even you are Sony fanboys that doesn't make u try another Console (old or new).
Fyi I'm a Nintendo fanboys but I still exciting to play my ps3 ;)

yes buy it for yo...i mean her,what exactly are you worried about the WiiU is HD and here to stay

i think the WiiU is going to be good and the rpg's that will come will be well worth it for online co-op/multi things like the new monster hunter for starters let alone what else will be coming from nintendo

Above & Beyond

think-man said:
KeptoKnight said:
Well I sold XBox 360 and PS3 for a Wii-U. I have already a PC. Yes Wii-U is awesome...faster browser, gamepad advantage, universal remote, UPDATE COMING DECEMBER....etc...etc...

"Do you think a Wii ->WiiU upgrade is good for her??? or would she be equally happy with just the Wii?" -

Wii-U is backwards compatible.

WOWZAR IHFASFKNDGIVNEFCKENDFA I MUST BUY ONE NOW!! STUFF THE GAMES!!!!!!!!!! I GOTTA FASTER BROWSER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Try not to downgrade intelligence here as plenty of others have in this forum. By the way, my female digs the faster web browsing. If you read correctly he mentioned his gf. I guess some do not have one.

KeptoKnight said:
think-man said:
KeptoKnight said:
Well I sold XBox 360 and PS3 for a Wii-U. I have already a PC. Yes Wii-U is awesome...faster browser, gamepad advantage, universal remote, UPDATE COMING DECEMBER....etc...etc...

"Do you think a Wii ->WiiU upgrade is good for her??? or would she be equally happy with just the Wii?" -

Wii-U is backwards compatible.

WOWZAR IHFASFKNDGIVNEFCKENDFA I MUST BUY ONE NOW!! STUFF THE GAMES!!!!!!!!!! I GOTTA FASTER BROWSER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Try not to downgrade intelligence here as plenty of others have in this forum. By the way, my female digs the faster web browsing. If you read correctly he mentioned his gf. I guess some do not have on

Yeah I dont have a gf, Im married.

Train wreck said:
If you are a PS3 fan, then buying a Wii U will contribute to Nintendo losses this quarter so go for it.

I am almost sure this is satirical, because if you're serious, being a fan of one thing doesn't require you to desire the demise of another competing thing.