By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Assassin's Creed 1-2 are two of the worst games ever created

Is Assassin's Creed overrated?`

Yes 130 34.95%

No 240 64.52%

Total:370
Jay520 said:

The combat is shallow, repetitive and boring. I've never played a game with combat so stupid. All you do is hold block, wait until the enemy attacks, then you press a button to counter. You do this same task for almost every single encounter. You can't switch up combos or anything. It looks cool to kill the first ten dudes in the game, but when you have to do the same thing over and over again, it makes you wonder why people love this crap so much. As long as you press attack while you're opponent is getting ready to attack, then you will win everytime. I admit, I've let the computer kill me a few times just because I got tired of the same crap every fight. There's no challenge at all. And you can't just rush through opponents either; they like to spam block ALL DAY LONG. So you are forced to wait for them to attack so you can counter. You have to sit through these long, stretched-out battles that all play the exact same as the previous encounter.

The platforming sucks. Seriously, the platforming in Assassin's Creed shouldn't be called platforming. It should just be called moving, because that's all you got to do. You hold L1, push the thumbstick forward, and the computer does all the work for you. You don't have to worry about timing or accuracy because the computer does everything for you. Again, there is no challenge. How do you jump over gaps? The game does it automatically. How do you climb? The game does it automatically. How do you grab ledges? The game does it automatically. Can you fall while platforming? Not if you're over three-years-old (Seriously, my 3 year-old nephew stopped playing because he said it was too easy). This sets up for long stretches of boring moments when you're climbing enourmous towers that take forever to scale. 

I once began scaling a building a tower while closing my eyes and got already to the top of the tower without dying. What type of shit is this? There is no fear of failure in this game. There is no challenge. You aren't playing the game; the game plays itself while you push a button or two.

Is there any fun gameplay? Nope, there is no fun gameplay in the game. Some say the story is good, maybe it is...but if the story is the only good thing about a game, then the game (notice I said game), is crap. Besides, the story is mediocre and is only a series of cliffhangers anyway. Oh, and the graphics are good. So, if you like cool graphics and mediocre stories without the need for any depth, then you'll probably like this game (you're probably an avid fan of Twilight too). 30% of the game consists of extremely long and boring combat. 40% of the game consists of extremely long and boring platforming. 20% of the game is spent going from one location to another. And the other 10% is miscleaneous (waiting for load times, sleeping, etc).

A question to all of you: When was the last time you were playing Assassin's Creed and thought, "this is a really fun game"?

EDIT: Also, it's the most linear open-world game I've ever played

Combat - Nope.  If that's all you're doing, then you're doing it wrong. there's blocks, grabs, attacks, counterattacks, and sometimes shooting.  You can steath assassinate, you can attack from afar with a bow, etc.  The only time what you say is true is if you constantly get into fights with waves of people and only use two abilities.  That'd be like playing Soul Calibur and spamming Raphael's forward/Vertical attack.  It's not the developer's fault you're not creative. 

Platforming - it is a little restrictive, but so is Uncharted or pretty much every other game that features platforming that isn'ta strict platformer like Donkey Kong, Mario, Rayman, or LittlebigPlanet.  And the platforming is there as a part of the game, and not a focus.  it's there, but it's not as much as you think or are acting. 

Other Gameplay - Plenty.  There's stealth elements, combat elements, chase elements, and plenty of things to do as far as optional side quests and one-time events.  If you don'tlike it, that's cool and I won't argue, but just becuase you don't enjoy the gameplay doesn't mean it's poor. 

Story - Easily has one of the best overarching stories and lore sets in any game series, ever.  it has some plot contrivances, but I doubt you'll find many stories that you can't find plot issues with.  far as the medium (and movies and TV, while we're at it) is concerned, it's still one of the best told, best written, and best conceptualized plots ever.  Unless you're a super sensitive religious person who can't handle the idea that maybe God is not God. 

Graphics - the first one was fantastic and the series has done nothing but improve both in fidelity and art direction.   Not to mention the costume design is unrivaled. 

Audio - Again, some of the best voice acting and score in a game.  Score is beat by stuff like zelda and God of War,but it's stil in the upper eschelon in that regard. 

So, overrated?  naw, you just don't like it.  

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Around the Network

I don't get how you people don't like it.

the main story that is set in the past is good and has lots of key events from the time. While, Desmond's story itself is truly fucked up and is very hard to understand. Also, combat is simple and easy to grasp, which i like.

But over anything, it's always the location and the time period that makes the game for me. I just running along the rooftops of 16th century Rome or Istanbul, or through the forests outside of Boston and New York in the 18th century. No other game focuses on the past in such a way. It's just fun to explore these worlds sometimes.

But if anything, it's the multiplayer that sucks. That never was fun to play and the high level players are very over powered in my opinion

I admit this game is easy, but again that don't bother me. If you want a challenging game then look elsewhere.

Assassin's Creed III was one of my favourite games from the HD generation. I would give that 8.5 out of 10 though , while Assassin's creed II was definitely better (9.5 out of 10). That still remains the best in the series.

Had you talked about Assassin's Creed 1, i would agree

Xbox One, PS4 and Switch (+ Many Retro Consoles)

'When the people are being beaten with a stick, they are not much happier if it is called the people's stick'- Mikhail Bakunin

Prediction: Switch will sell better than Wii U Lifetime Sales by Jan 1st 2018

Jay520 said:
BenVTrigger said:
Millions of gamers disagree.

Obviously, that's why it's overrated.

Answer this question though: When was the last time you were playing Assassin's Creed and thought, "this is a really fun game"?

...This morning.

I've installed a new hard drive, so I'm re-installed all of my games in alphabetical order. I haven't got past the Assassin's Creed games yet because I started playing them instead. I love the characters, I love the huge and detailed world and I love the story. Combat is a bit weak and platforming is too easy, but it's still a blast to do.

Kantor said:

These are all hilarious, except for that AC3 one which is the most dudebro thing I have ever heard ("Hey, it's not bad for a console" and "This is meant to be a AAA title").

I don't see how any of those would ruin your experience with the game. I remember one time in Revelations, I killed a guy with a crossbow and his head and neck started spinning around and flew off into the distance. These are just funny glitches, not bugs.

Not even the last one? It's funny and all, but when people in a game don't even fight back as you kill them...

Anyway, I just don't see how it's a controversial statement to say that the series is a particularly glitchy one. Maybe I'm just bitter because I bought the incredibly glitchy AC3: Liberation, and while most were just amusing, one actually prevents you from loading your save and just endlessly kicks you back to the Ubisoft splash screen. Nearly three weeks later, Ubi hasn't even officially acknowledged it yet as far as I can tell.

The Ezio trilogy has to be the best story out of gaming this generation. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gf4DKZ7yhM

Around the Network

Your assessment sounds like you've only played the first one. I've only played the first two myself, but I've mentioned exactly what you've said here to my pals who are big AC fans and they claim the combat gets much better in each installment, as for the platforming I'm not sure.

But I agree AC1 pretty much sucked due to repetitiveness and the combat being hold block then counter. I want to give this series another shot sometime and play them all. They came out when I was still big into Call of Duty and played nothing else so I never got too into them.

I concur. Also the story sucks too.

RolStoppable said:
Of course. Now that it is on a Nintendo console too, it is immediately one of the worst IPs ever created. Typical.

I hadn't thought of that, but that's definitely a convincing point for my argument. Thanks

like most other games, it has its flaws but to say its one of the worst ips ever created? come on! thats a bit harsh.

Runa216 said:

Combat - Nope.  If that's all you're doing, then you're doing it wrong. there's blocks, grabs, attacks, counterattacks, and sometimes shooting.  You can steath assassinate, you can attack from afar with a bow, etc.  The only time what you say is true is if you constantly get into fights with waves of people and only use two abilities.  That'd be like playing Soul Calibur and spamming Raphael's forward/Vertical attack.  It's not the developer's fault you're not creative. 

Platforming - it is a little restrictive, but so is Uncharted or pretty much every other game that features platforming that isn'ta strict platformer like Donkey Kong, Mario, Rayman, or LittlebigPlanet.  And the platforming is there as a part of the game, and not a focus.  it's there, but it's not as much as you think or are acting. 

Other Gameplay - Plenty.  There's stealth elements, combat elements, chase elements, and plenty of things to do as far as optional side quests and one-time events.  If you don'tlike it, that's cool and I won't argue, but just becuase you don't enjoy the gameplay doesn't mean it's poor. 

What you mentioned about combat doesn't seem to disprove my point. I already acknowledged blocks and counterattacks as being the dominant form of combat. There are offensive attacks, but you cannot do them on most opponents because they spam block and they'll counterattack you. From my experience with grabbing, you can't grab most opponents because they'll immediately push you off. Stealth/ranged attacks were extremely uncommon in AC2 as well. That leaves 90% of the combat being block/counterattack and dodge/counterattack. It makes the combat incredibly boring as you sit there and wait for the opponents attack. The other 10% consists stealth and ranged attacks, and the few times that you can actually be offensive and grab/attack an opponent.

As for the platforming, it's much more restrictive than other game this generation. One of the most essential elements of platforming is jumping and timing your jumps. But in Assassin's Creed, the character just jumps on his own without any additional player input. The player is incredibly passive; all you have to do is hold L1 and push forward. And yeah, platforming is a fairly large portion of the game. There is a ton of time spent climbing walls, towers, buildings, vantage points, etc. It's at least 25-35% of the game.

There may be tiny bits of other gameplay, but platforming and combat make the bulk of the gameplay. Also, chase scenes pretty much fall under platforming, unless you plan to make your escape without scaling buildings. As for stealth, AC2 didn't have much true stealth. Assassin's Creed definition of stealth consists of killing a dude, alerting everyone in the proximity, and going on a chase for a few moments. The only stealth was before the actual kill. There are a few missions where you make kills without ever being spotted, but there are very few of them.

Graphic, story, and audio are all secondary to a game.