By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Assassin's Creed 1-2 are two of the worst games ever created

Is Assassin's Creed overrated?`

Yes 130 34.95%

No 240 64.52%

Total:370
brendude13 said:

...This morning.

I've installed a new hard drive, so I'm re-installed all of my games in alphabetical order. I haven't got past the Assassin's Creed games yet because I started playing them instead. I love the characters, I love the huge and detailed world and I love the story. Combat is a bit weak and platforming is too easy, but it's still a blast to do.

I was hoping people would give some specific events to answer that question. For example, ask someone what they loved about Uncharted 2 and they might say the train mission. Instead, people give rather general answers. Or they mention stories, graphics, world, characters, etc.. everything but the gameplay. It's amazing how people admit that the combat and platforming is weak, yet somehow they still enjoy the game. 

Around the Network
the2real4mafol said:
I don't get how you people don't like it.

the main story that is set in the past is good and has lots of key events from the time. While, Desmond's story itself is truly fucked up and is very hard to understand. Also, combat is simple and easy to grasp, which i like.

But over anything, it's always the location and the time period that makes the game for me. I just running along the rooftops of 16th century Rome or Istanbul, or through the forests outside of Boston and New York in the 18th century. No other game focuses on the past in such a way. It's just fun to explore these worlds sometimes.

But if anything, it's the multiplayer that sucks. That never was fun to play and the high level players are very over powered in my opinion

I admit this game is easy, but again that don't bother me. If you want a challenging game then look elsewhere.

Assassin's Creed III was one of my favourite games from the HD generation. I would give that 8.5 out of 10 though , while Assassin's creed II was definitely better (9.5 out of 10). That still remains the best in the series.

Had you talked about Assassin's Creed 1, i would agree

Again, people list secondary things like story, atmosphere, etc. as things which compensate for the weak gameplay. This is shocking.

RolStoppable said:
Of course. Now that it is on a Nintendo console too, it is immediately one of the worst IPs ever created. Typical.

After thinking about it...I fear this game will bomb on the WIi U. Nintendo owners are used to games that focus almost entirely on gameplay; this doesn't bode well for Assassin's Creed. Or perhaps they'll be swayed by the pretty graphics and interesting story? We'll see...

Combat is not that bad. You can use ranged attacks, just re-stock your knife ammo and you can use them. After upgrades you can use two at a time and kill two enemies. I always play the game stealthily. There are certain battles where you can't use stealth, but otherwise, you can use stealth almost everywhere. Get inside the haystack and kill an enemy near you undetected, air assassinations, and everything. Using poison is the best way to create mayhem.

One of the worst, god no.

I find the games and series as a whole to be "Good", maybe "Great" even. Is it incredible or a masterpiece? Not in my opinion.

As for what I enjoy about it:
I love feeling like an assassin by running on roof tops, having my brotherhood, looking all swag with them outfits and ocasionally killing people XD. When guards are chasing you, calling you "INFIDEL" and you end up shoving that sword up their asses.. its just good fun :).

Around the Network
Jay520 said:
Runa216 said:

Combat - Nope.  If that's all you're doing, then you're doing it wrong. there's blocks, grabs, attacks, counterattacks, and sometimes shooting.  You can steath assassinate, you can attack from afar with a bow, etc.  The only time what you say is true is if you constantly get into fights with waves of people and only use two abilities.  That'd be like playing Soul Calibur and spamming Raphael's forward/Vertical attack.  It's not the developer's fault you're not creative. 

Platforming - it is a little restrictive, but so is Uncharted or pretty much every other game that features platforming that isn'ta strict platformer like Donkey Kong, Mario, Rayman, or LittlebigPlanet.  And the platforming is there as a part of the game, and not a focus.  it's there, but it's not as much as you think or are acting. 

Other Gameplay - Plenty.  There's stealth elements, combat elements, chase elements, and plenty of things to do as far as optional side quests and one-time events.  If you don'tlike it, that's cool and I won't argue, but just becuase you don't enjoy the gameplay doesn't mean it's poor. 

What you mentioned about combat doesn't seem to disprove my point. I already acknowledged blocks and counterattacks as being the dominant form of combat. There are offensive attacks, but you cannot do them on most opponents because they spam block and they'll counterattack you. From my experience with grabbing, you can't grab most opponents because they'll immediately push you off. Stealth/ranged attacks were extremely uncommon in AC2 as well. That leaves 90% of the combat being block/counterattack and dodge/counterattack. It makes the combat incredibly boring as you sit there and wait for the opponents attack. The other 10% consists stealth and ranged attacks, and the few times that you can actually be offensive and grab/attack an opponent.

As for the platforming, it's much more restrictive than other game this generation. One of the most essential elements of platforming is jumping and timing your jumps. But in Assassin's Creed, the character just jumps on his own without any additional player input. The player is incredibly passive; all you have to do is hold L1 and push forward. And yeah, platforming is a fairly large portion of the game. There is a ton of time spent climbing walls, towers, buildings, vantage points, etc. It's at least 25-35% of the game.

There may be tiny bits of other gameplay, but platforming and combat make the bulk of the gameplay. Also, chase scenes pretty much fall under platforming, unless you plan to make your escape without scaling buildings. As for stealth, AC2 didn't have much true stealth. Assassin's Creed definition of stealth consists of killing a dude, alerting everyone in the proximity, and going on a chase for a few moments. The only stealth was before the actual kill. There are a few missions where you make kills without ever being spotted, but there are very few of them.

Graphic, story, and audio are all secondary to a game.

So the Batman Arkham Asylum and City games must also be terrible becuase it's the same basic ideas.  A bunch of dudes surround you and you time your attacks, blocks, and counters with their attacks.  That game got hailed for its combat. 

and uncharted must be terrible becuase the platforming sections are a linear path.  

We get it, you don't like the games, that's cool and we're not saying your criticisms don't have merit, but you're asserting it's one of ifnot THE worst game ever because you don't find the combat or platforming to be deep or intricate.  That's terrible reasoning.  Overrated?  Sure, I'll give you that, but worst ever? what a laughable claim.  

what about games like Mortal Kombat?  I mean, that series has terrible gameplay mechanics to much more indepth fighters like Tekken, Virtua Fighter, Marvel vs Capcom, Smash Brothers, and even Street Fighter, yet people loved it becuase of its gory aesthetics and otherworldly story. 

Call of Duty is the same nonsense we've been getting from the FPS genre for years, and yet it's still the same, you point and click to kill, press X to activate everything.  Really restrictive, you can't grab people at will, you can't jump or climb unless the game decides THIS is where you take a hostage. 

Seriously, think things through before making such a nonsensical claim. 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

pezus said:
One of my favorite series, so I obviously disagree. It seems like you have issues with AC being the more popular action-stealth series between it and Hitman. Am I wrong here?

I am upset that games like Assassin's Creed are considered leaders in the industry right now. The effect of these casual, no-gameplay games is that it influences other games to be like it; that's what I think we're seeing with Hitman. I can accept a game like Uncharted being focused on cinematic and looking because, because it actually has fun gameplay. But when I see a mediocre game like Assassin's Creed being role models for other games, it really grinds my gears.

If anything I would like Uncharted to have some stealth gameplay elements like AC actually has.

Jay520 said:
mantlepiecek said:

Just because you are not forced to use stealth doesn't mean you can't. Scale up a building and throw knifes, use crossbow (brotherhood), hidden blade, poison blade, hide amongst monks etc etc.

It is easily a stealth game.

See above. Plenty of games have short episodes of stealth (even Red Dead Redemption had a mission where you had to sneak up on people), but you can't call it a stealth.

In Assassin's Creed II, I'd say approximately 20% of the missions could be played using pure stealth. That's far from a stealth game

WTF?

Majority of Ass Cracks 2 can be played using stealth its just really difficult. The AI is also shitty so that makes it even harder (not the correct type of challenge but a challenge non the less). So not sure where you got the 20% from.

And brotherhood (easily the best gameplay in the series so far) can be played entirely using stealth. I have done this. So don't argue :)

Also the combat in brotherhood was a HUGE step up compared to 2 it felt very similar to the batman games. U should see the leaderboards for the combat challenges insane stuff happening there.

To be honest jay this just seems like a flame thread. You dont really seem to know the game or you just dont like it. But most of your points are completely wrong.

Intel Core i7 3770K [3.5GHz]|MSI Big Bang Z77 Mpower|Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1866 2 x 4GB|MSI GeForce GTX 560 ti Twin Frozr 2|OCZ Vertex 4 128GB|Corsair HX750|Cooler Master CM 690II Advanced|

Wait hold up - I did a similar thread asking essentially if Halo was an overrated franchise, and my thread got locked and moderated to hell. So how does yours remain open? What's your secret?

Nintendo Network ID: DaRevren

I love My Wii U, and the potential it brings to gaming.