By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Ruh-Roh ... GameSpot Gives ZombiU A 4.5?

Soundwave said:

http://m.gamespot.com/zombiu/

Zombi U reviews are supposed to be embargoed until Sunday night, but looks like GameSpot's review may have slipped through their mobile app (apparently you can watch their video review if you have the XBox Live app).

4.5/10

Ugly, ugly score. Combined with the mixed responses to Ninja Gaiden 3, my launch lineup plans might just be getting thrown for a massive loop.

BLOPS2 better be a good port. Could it be possible that third parties have totally dropped the ball here?

Might have to blow off my pre-order of that game and switch it to Mass Effect 3 which I have not played yet.

Around the Network
Metallicube said:
Well, chalk up yet another third party failure on a Nintendo console. If I was Nintendo at this point, I would simply give up on third parties, expand my company to create more games, and buy out more 2nd party studios. At the very least, they need to return to the tight quality standard they had in the NES days, where companies were limited to the amount of games they released for the console and Nintendo had to oversee production closely to make sure it was up to the standard.

Though I'm curious to know what their exact beef with this game is.. I mean, I've seen extensive footage of it, and there doesn't look like there is anything particularly wrong that jumps out at you. Looks fun and innovative, graphics have gotten much prettier, controls don't seem to be an issue. Seems like they really nailed the survival horror formula, far more than Resident Evil does nowadays..

I smell bias.

While it's too early to say the game is an overall failure, as the EDGE score was solid, I agree with the premise.

There's no reason Nintendo cannot create a franchise as good as Halo or Uncharted or Assassin's Creed or Resident Evil on their own (in terms of appeal). And own that franchise forever (no Resident Evil 4 going multiplatform .... ooops).

And enough with the Metroid. They've tried to shove Metroid down people's throats for the last 10 years, and while the Prime games were excellent, they have limited appeal to the general market, as neither Metroid Prime 2 or 3 sold over 2 million worldwide. Do something new, not some franchise invented in 1986.

Third parties when it comes to Nintendo are useless. You cannot reliably bank on them for anything. If they deliver something good, fine, let that just be icing on the cake, but don't ever expect them to deliver the cake itself, otherwise you're asking for trouble, Nintendo.

I'm willing to bet "Zombi U" would a far, faaaaaaar better game if EAD or Retro were allowed to make a game like that (so would Ninja Gaiden 3) and would be the badly needed killer app for the machine that can be marketed towards 13-35 year old males. So let them try for crying out loud. The world is not going to end if we get one less Mario spin-off or one less DKC/Metroid game.

"Those "leaked" reviews for #ZombiU tempt me to break embargo by saying I like the game, but I can't say I like the game, so I won't."

JGarret said:

"Those "leaked" reviews for #ZombiU tempt me to break embargo by saying I like the game, but I can't say I like the game, so I won't."

lol
good one!

Until you've played it, every game is a system seller!

the original trolls

Wii FC: 4810 9420 3131 7558
MHTri: name=BOo BoO/ID=BZBLEX/region=US

mini-games on consoles, cinematic games on handhelds, what's next? GameBoy IMAX?

Official Member of the Pikmin Fan Club

JGarret said:
Metallicube said:
Well, chalk up yet another third party failure on a Nintendo console. If I was Nintendo at this point, I would simply give up on third parties, expand my company to create more games, and buy out more 2nd party studios. At the very least, they need to return to the tight quality standard they had in the NES days, where companies were limited to the amount of games they released for the console and Nintendo had to oversee production closely to make sure it was up to the standard.

Though I'm curious to know what their exact beef with this game is.. I mean, I've seen extensive footage of it, and there doesn't look like there is anything particularly wrong that jumps out at you. Looks fun and innovative, graphics have gotten much prettier, controls don't seem to be an issue. Seems like they really nailed the survival horror formula, far more than Resident Evil does nowadays..

I smell bias.

I agree, that should be one of their priorities.

Are they doing anything about it?

Other than buying Monoligh Soft a while back and creating a new 2D Mario team, not really. Though in their defense, they've been blowing a lot of money these past couple of years on R&D for the 3DS and Wii U.

Love and tolerate.

Around the Network
JGarret said:

Most cleverly worded tweet ever. Too curious now. When does this embargo end?

Soundwave said:

There's no reason Nintendo cannot create a franchise as good as Halo or Uncharted or Assassin's Creed or Resident Evil on their own (in terms of appeal). And own that franchise forever (no Resident Evil 4 going multiplatform .... ooops).

I honestly doubt Nintendo can create anything like titles you mentioned on their own - but I would love to see them doing what they did back in the day when Retro Rare was making exactly that kind of games that were complementing nicely their 1st party tiltes.

Edit: I've put Retro instead of Rare by mistake

NO WAY. If Nintendo truly did give up on third parties, that would be truly awful.  That's what hampered N64 and GC in the first place.

HoloDust said:
Soundwave said:

I honestly doubt Nintendo can create anything like titles you mentioned on their own - but I would love to see them doing what they did back in the day when Retro was making exactly that kind of games that were complementing nicely their 1st party tiltes.

Pretty sure they could their just not in that lane in my opinion. This may change with th enew developrs they now have. 

Leon89 said:
They gave Wonderbook 8,0... i stopped caring for gamespot a long time ago

And whats wrong wiht giving wonderbook an 8?