By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS3 exclusives vs. 360 exclusives (1m+ sellers)

pezus said:
gergroy said:
pezus said:
gergroy said:
Sigh

I never thought we would still be having "list wars" this late in the console cycle. Honestly, every console has enough games at this point to justify buying it, do we need another list war?

I mean, what if somebody just wants to play borderlands or call of duty? What if those games are the reason they are getting a console (not a stretch, people buy consoles just to play call of duty all the time). There are great games on every system with extensive libraries for all.

In my opinion, this generation stopped being about exclusives a very long time ago. Time to move on to a new argument guys.

Just a comparison here, not a list war. MS focus on huge games, but fewer exclusives overall than Sony.

lol, what do you think list wars were/are?

Posts or thread where people listed exclusives coming out and already out and used that to diminish the games of another console. Again, this is nothing like that. We are only looking at how the exclusives sell here and as you can see in the OP there is no definite "this is better" "this one is way worse because no gamez, brah" and such.

If the whole point was comparing how exclusives sell then why start a new thread?  You started a new thread because you didn't like the lists in the other thread.  This is a list war.  It's like polishing a turd, you can try and polish it all you want, but in the end, it is still a turd.  

Around the Network

@pezus

I find it truly fascinating how you omitted Blue Dragon, Infinite Undiscovery, Kingdom Under Fire, and Perfect Dark Zero from your list. I think all of those titles would qualify as real games even under your definition. Perfect Dark was a launch title. While the other three did indeed sell a lot of members in these forums on buying a 360. Have we forgotten the dark times when the PS3 had no RPGs to speak of for almost a entire year.

Not to mention on the PS3 side titles such as Haze, Heavenly Sword, and Lair. I could swear that some people I know told me that those games were responsible for the PS3 taking off, and actually getting better sales. I know it is a little tongue in cheek, but seriously a couple of those titles probably sold a lot of PS3s even if they never actually lived up to their promise.

That said is this really a fair comparison given that the Xbox has to spread its sales over more exclusives anyway. It isn't like having more choice is a bad thing for gamers. In fact I think most of us like having more choices. I think that is also something that sells consoles.

P.S.

If your criteria is million sellers then don't even bother. This site isn't a definitive authority on that subject. After all games do continue to sell even if this site has stopped tracking them. You don't really think a game stops selling all together a couple months after launch do you. I would say five of the six games I listed have probably sold a million copies.

P.S.S

You really shouldn't trust this sites figures if they aren't independently verified. They have been proven to be wildly wrong in the past.

KylieDog said:
If only taking games someone may buy a system for then may as well remove sequels that offer nothing significantly new the previous game didn't have.

If people didn't buy a PS3 for Uncharted 2 then Uncharted 3 isn't going to sell the system to them, if Halo 3, ODST, Reach, CEAE didn't sell a 360 to someone, Halo 4 isn't going to either.

what if someone just wants a game console to play call of duty?  or borderlands?  or madden?  Those are reasons someone may want to buy a console.  This is why console exclusive lists are so meaningless this late in the cycle!

pezus said:
gergroy said:

If the whole point was comparing how exclusives sell then why start a new thread?  You started a new thread because you didn't like the lists in the other thread.  This is a list war.  It's like polishing a turd, you can try and polish it all you want, but in the end, it is still a turd.  

I started a new thread because I prefer this way of looking at it, sure. No matter what I'm talking about, I always look at exclusives as exclusives. But this doesn't make it a list war. This is a list but I don't see the war.

There is a war here, it's a war over arbitrary definitions of exclusives to make one platform look better than the other.  Jaywood did it in his thread and you are doing it in this one.  People aren't popping in here and saying, hey, that is interesting that microsoft is selling more copies, but fewer exclusives.  They are coming in and commenting on who is winning (or, giving you grief for the thread, sorry).  

KylieDog said:
If only taking games someone may buy a system for then may as well remove sequels that offer nothing significantly new the previous game didn't have.

If people didn't buy a PS3 for Uncharted 2 then Uncharted 3 isn't going to sell the system to them, if Halo 3, ODST, Reach, CEAE didn't sell a 360 to someone, Halo 4 isn't going to either.

Late adopters. There are many.

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
pezus said:
RolStoppable said:

You are right. The big PS3 exclusive this year is LittleBigPlanet Karting.

Not exactly. PSABR will be bigger.

Hm...

pezus said:

So, this thread compares real exclusives, or something that would entice someone to buy a particular platform. Games already available on PC won't entice anyone to buy a 360 so PC/360 games do not count. PSP/PS3/Vita games don't count either (if there are any).

Littlebigplanet karting will probably end up on Vita next year sometime too...

Dodece said:
@pezus

I find it truly fascinating how you omitted Blue Dragon, Infinite Undiscovery, Kingdom Under Fire, and Perfect Dark Zero from your list. I think all of those titles would qualify as real games even under your definition. Perfect Dark was a launch title. While the other three did indeed sell a lot of members in these forums on buying a 360. Have we forgotten the dark times when the PS3 had no RPGs to speak of for almost a entire year.

Not to mention on the PS3 side titles such as Haze, Heavenly Sword, and Lair. I could swear that some people I know told me that those games were responsible for the PS3 taking off, and actually getting better sales. I know it is a little tongue in cheek, but seriously a couple of those titles probably sold a lot of PS3s even if they never actually lived up to their promise.

That said is this really a fair comparison given that the Xbox has to spread its sales over more exclusives anyway. It isn't like having more choice is a bad thing for gamers. In fact I think most of us like having more choices. I think that is also something that sells consoles.

P.S.

If your criteria is million sellers then don't even bother. This site isn't a definitive authority on that subject. After all games do continue to sell even if this site has stopped tracking them. You don't really think a game stops selling all together a couple months after launch do you. I would say five of the six games I listed have probably sold a million copies.

P.S.S

You really shouldn't trust this sites figures if they aren't independently verified. They have been proven to be wildly wrong in the past.

Uh...I think you're confused, the PS3 is the one with the most exclusives and variety.(Ignoring Xbox Live an PSN here)

@ P.S.1
HIs criteria IS million sellers. VgChartz data > Your thoughts

@ P.S.2
No one is saying VgChartz is 100% accurate. We know in can be off most of the time but there's no other data we can use. The data companies give out is always shipped anyway which isn't always the best thing to go by.

@ Pezus

Nice list there. I always thought that there were more 1+ million 360 exclusive sellers than that of the PS3, but now I know I'm wrong. Also, looking at the PS3 exclusives list, holy crap, that's a heck of a diverse list. I'm curious to see what other games will make this list next year. The Last of Us, Beyond: Two Souls, and God of War Ascension will definitely make this list. Tales of Xillia 1 has a good chance, too, and perhaps even Ni No Kuni.

gergroy said:
RolStoppable said:
pezus said:
RolStoppable said:

You are right. The big PS3 exclusive this year is LittleBigPlanet Karting.

Not exactly. PSABR will be bigger.

Hm...

pezus said:

So, this thread compares real exclusives, or something that would entice someone to buy a particular platform. Games already available on PC won't entice anyone to buy a 360 so PC/360 games do not count. PSP/PS3/Vita games don't count either (if there are any).

Littlebigplanet karting will probably end up on Vita next year sometime too...

Wishful thinking. Game wasn't received that well and Sony wouldn't be able to do the Cross-Buy with it.

IF it does though, and it does reach a million, THEN we could remove it from any real exclusives list in the future.

pezus said:
gergroy said:
pezus said:
gergroy said:

I started a new thread because I prefer this way of looking at it, sure. No matter what I'm talking about, I always look at exclusives as exclusives. But this doesn't make it a list war. This is a list but I don't see the war.

There is a war here, it's a war over arbitrary definitions of exclusives to make one platform look better than the other.  Jaywood did it in his thread and you are doing it in this one.  People aren't popping in here and saying, hey, that is interesting that microsoft is selling more copies, but fewer exclusives.  They are coming in and commenting on who is winning (or, giving you grief for the thread, sorry).  

It's not my fault what people decide to comment on but as you can probably tell if you read the OP I'm not making PS3 look better than 360 here. I mention that in my summary. But this is always what exclusive has meant and will mean in my eyes.

well, going by what you said about exclusives in your op, you might be missing your own point

"So, this thread compares real exclusives, or something that would entice someone to buy a particular platform. Games already available on PC won't entice anyone to buy a 360 so PC/360 games do not count. PSP/PS3/Vita games don't count either (if there are any)."

looking at your or statement there, it seems you want to compare games that might entice somebody to buy a particular platform. Imagine if somebody didn't have a 360 or a pc, and they really wanted to buy a game that was only on those two platforms... do you really think that game wouldn't entice somebody to buy the console? Do you actually think there wasn't a single person that bought a 360 to play left 4 dead? Mass Effect? Same goes for the ps3, you think just because the game is on a handheld they won't want it on the ps3?

Looking at your statement there, this should be a VERY different list.