By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS3 exclusives vs. 360 exclusives (1m+ sellers)

If you're talking about a real exclusive which would entice people to buy a console then you need to write the list as forwards looking, I.E. if you had to wait 6 months for a console exclusive/port to PS3 then it ought to count by your reasoning.

Tease.

Around the Network

@pezus

You seem to answer your own question. If the games eventually disappear from the shelves completely then logic tells us that the game has sold through at least its first production run. So if this site is telling us it sold closer to a million relatively soon after its launch. Then that should mean that the initial production run was a million units, and if it did well enough early on then a second smaller production run probably happened. It is simply a matter of basic deductive logic.

We all know how the game is played. Games rarely get destroyed. They just get discounted until they all get sold. The only exceptions being faulty games, or games that just can't be sold. Any game that sells over half a million is without question good enough to not fall in the latter category. So like it or not even if this site doesn't say so. It is highly likely that those games sold a million or more copies.

On the subject of this sites tracking. I assume that the majority of what we see are generic extrapolations, and you can probably safely assume that they will never admit to that. After a game leaves the ranks of the top sellers they just take the previous weeks figures, and plug them into a standardized mathematical progression. Which will carry the sales down to a point where they don't even bother to pretend that they are actively tracking the sales at all. It really is like clockwork.

When this site provided weekly figures on the games profile page you could do the math, and see that almost every single game followed the same predictable progression, and that is purely nonsense right there. Buying patterns are a product of human behavior, and there is nothing less predictable in nature. Even games three or four months out from their launch should have detectable spikes, or even inexplicable dead patches. They shouldn't fit perfectly into any kind of curve.

Really a lot of it isn't even educated guess work. It is just the same rule of thumb applied to all. Unless what is being tracked has what we all used to call legs. Anyway what this site provides is decent short term tracking based upon a limited data set and secondary sources. It isn't a question of accuracy so much as it is a question of respectable data not being present. You shouldn't be drawing grand conclusions at all. Nobody should for that matter.

P.S.S

Actually it isn't better then nothing. Bad data can lead you to draw the wrong conclusions. If you want to use the data then limit yourself to the most reliable part of the data sets. Namely what the market is doing in the here and now. Not sales where this site could be off by hundreds of thousands of units.

After reading in so many threads, I know now for sure that 'diversity' in exclusives is Playstation's 'exclusiveness. Nintendo and MS fanboys freak out on this point.

So, on a similar thread you always see someone jumping his guns to twist the meaning of exclusive, sale = quality. They do it when the situation suits them. When they can't win the argument of exclusives, they talk about sale, when they can't win the argument of sale, they talk about enjoyment, when they can't win the argument of enjoyment they talk about value.

It is truly amazing how hypocritical they can be.

Mario thinks those numbers are cute. Haha but seriously, I've played a lot of the top 10 exclusives for both the HD systems and I liked almost all the games. But if you're talking software sales numbers, Wii smoked both HD's by a ton.

Saints Row - Xbox 360 - 2.13 million

Around the Network

I have a 360, but don't like any of the exclusives except Halo 4.

I'm really thinking of getting a PS3 just for the exclusives. Uncharted, The Last of Us, Infamous, MGS, Hot Shot Golf, LBP, GT.

PlaystaionGamer said:
wow.. would have thought xbox 360 would be higher then PS3 sales, wow

why? PS3 has FAR more exclusives.

pezus said:

Jaywood recently compared console exclusives on 360 and PS3 and while that is well and good, I prefer looking at the real exclusives when the word exclusive is used. So, this thread compares real exclusives, or something that would entice someone to buy a particular platform. Games already available on PC won't entice anyone to buy a 360 so PC/360 games do not count. PSP/PS3/Vita games don't count either (if there are any). Collections and remakes are included.

Bolded - how can you make a thread out of this BS?

You really think Gears of War didn't sold any console just because it was available on PC later? 

Nothing proves that those PC sales would've been console sales if it was only available to one console. I have a good PC which is able to run almost anything (job requirement) but it's mainly for work, I chose 360 this gen because of many PC/360 exclusives like Oblivion, Bioshock, LFD, Witcher, Mass Effect etc... you guys can keep thinking those console exclusives do nothing for Xbox, but the truth shows different.

I understand what you mean though, all you wanted was to compare games that appeared on a single platform and declare a "winner" for some reason (I don't get the point of these threads) but both Sony and MS share different views on how to operate their business and it shows different results... declaring a "winner" on one business model is kinda weird... why not a win for the company that sold the most peripheral?

Aura7541 said:
@ Pezus

Nice list there. I always thought that there were more 1+ million 360 exclusive sellers than that of the PS3, but now I know I'm wrong. Also, looking at the PS3 exclusives list, holy crap, that's a heck of a diverse list. I'm curious to see what other games will make this list next year. The Last of Us, Beyond: Two Souls, and God of War Ascension will definitely make this list. Tales of Xillia 1 has a good chance, too, and perhaps even Ni No Kuni.

Don't forget Sly 4 man, Sly 4 will sell tons of games! Also this year we got PS All Stars, that game will shift millions. And, why not LBP Karting? It could little by little.

now this is just sore loser talk