By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Epic expects next-gen dev costs to double

Now that Cliff Bleszinski and Rod Ferguson are gone from EPIC I just don't look at them the same...

A few days ago someone, can't remember who, but they said developing games will actually be cheaper. So right now you have two developers saying two completely different things.

Around the Network

its doubble the cost compared to games from the start of this gen, which i guess we have already doubbled with the games at the end of this gen.

plus to me it sounds like pr for the ue4.

70€ barebones games + 70€ DLC incoming for next gen. Oh wait, they are already here. Damn. Ok, season pass for eve...FUCK.

Ongoing bet with think-man: He wins if MH4 releases in any shape or form on PSV in 2013, I win if it doesn't.

Thats just what the video game industry needs, even higher risk investments!

Platinums: Red Dead Redemption, Killzone 2, LittleBigPlanet, Terminator Salvation, Uncharted 1, inFamous Second Son, Rocket League

Keep in mind this is EPIC which no doubt makes much more money selling their engines than their games.
What's written in between the words here is: Next gen will only double your costs IF you use UE4 otherwise expect your cost to rise by 4-5x's (death for anyone).

I think F2P is going to stop these super expensive AAA games from happening. He's right, if you can get a F2P AAA game (by todays standards) or a next gen AAA title for $60-70, likely you will at least try out the F2P first and if it's good, it'll hook you and drain your wallet. Even EPIC is making a F2P game...

Around the Network
man-bear-pig said:
Who are epic? What games do they make?

Anyway, I've always wondered whether the graphical jump next gen would cost devs exponentially more. Hopefully consumers won't have to pay double for games ;P

Unreal tournament... GeoW...

the_dengle said:

You could just, y'know, make less expensive games. You're not obligated to drain every last ounce of production value possible out of your finances. Really. You can make games on a smaller budget -- just ask Warren Spector.

That would be a huge blow to Epic, actually; they make games, but their bread and butter is their middleware.

man-bear-pig said:

Unreal Tournament, Gears of War. Most importantly, the Unreal Engine and other middleware.

Andrespetmonkey said:
man-bear-pig said:

Anyway, I've always wondered whether the graphical jump next gen would cost devs exponentially more. Hopefully consumers won't have to pay double for games ;P

Unreal tournament... GeoW...

Oh, so they're the guys that make GOW. I knew the name sounded familiar

Pfft, only 2x?

What kind of baby candy-ass consoles are we going to have next generation?

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Heavenly_King said:

angry birds FTW! lol

Laugh it up but the developers of that were on a gold mine. Just like wii sports. Make cheap games that somehow sell ship loads more then your big budget aaa game. It must be the smartest business plan in the industry.

One more thing to complete my year = senran kagura localization =D