By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - 5 reasons wii u will be the ps2 of next generation

Soundwave said:
FatalInertia said:
Soundwave said:
FatalInertia said:
Soundwave said:
Sony isn't going to go anywhere, but I think they are in for a decline and Microsoft is going to significantly out-spend them next generation on hardware, marketing, and exclusives.

Microsoft can see the blood in the water, they're not just going to idly accept Sony taking half of what they perceive to be "their audience". They are going to go for the kill, mark my words.

Not going to happen, MS has barely any exclusives now. MS ain't going to kill anything, the only reason they got the jump on Sony this time was sony was late and expensive, thats not happenoing this time. Sony has too many internal studios and third prty exclusives are rare. Sorry you're wrong. You cannot just go out and buy studios, SMs has evena dmitted the difficulty in having exclusives. and internal studios.

MS isn't going after exclusives now because there's no point. This generation is largely decided.

Next gen when both PS4 and 720 are at 0 userbase, MS throwing an extra $10-$20 million at a particular game could turn things in their favor in many instances.

Also I don't buy for a second that Capcom just gave Nintendo the Monster Hunter franchise out of the goodness of their hearts. Nintendo outbid Sony for it plain and simple behind the scenes, probably because Sony can't afford to even outbid Nintendo these days (that Wii Sports/Brain Training/Nintendogs monster profits didn't just evaporate overnight or go to charity).

Microsoft as a corporation makes too much money, in 3-6 months they make more than Sony has made in the last 10 years. And they do that every year. The living room is important for Microsoft to own because they know they screwed the pooch getting in late to the cell phone/MP3 player/tablet markets and they need something to show their investors that they have leadership in outside of the same ol' PC OS.

The 720 is going for the kill. Bet on it. If Sony thinks they're in for an easy ride next generation, they are going to get hammered IMO.

They already spent money on many games this gen didn't make much difference, a company is not going to lose sales and make many third party exclusives, are pretty much dead. Your in for a shock, MS is not going to come close to kill anything, sony has too much development and third party relationships, and mmajor brand recognition WW.

MS makes more money then nintendo to, means squat.

The disparity is too much at this point though, Sony is in bad, bad shape.

They can't do anything if MS decides to turn the next-gen into a bidding war for certain exclusives. If that happens, they're screwed.

And MS isn't stupid. They know this full well. They've done it to other companies before in the PC field, lol. Sony is nothing special. They've broken many other companies for breakfast.

I'm not even a MS fan, I don't own a PS3-Wii (I even have a Vita, lol), but I don't think MS is a teddy bear. I expect them to sense they can get a quick knock-out next gen and they are going to go for it. In a lot of ways, I think Sony is going to be MS' punching bag for the frustration they feel for being late to the cell phone/tablet market. They're going to take it out by taking control of the living room set-top-box market.

It's clear you have zero clue how business works. this isn't MAdden business........................ OS market is not the gaming market, apples and oranges.  Nothing MS can do to undercut sony in gaming.

Again, thid parties wont agree to lose out on sales as dev cost will be even higher next gen, its suicide, exclusives will be mainly first party. MS already tried the buy everything with DLC, advertising, still losing every year and sony is not making the same mistakes with the ps4.

All major studios are making games for BOTH and investing money on both ps4 and xbox, that would not be the case if xbox was going to kill sony and buy everyone up (Monopoly laws for one). You dillusional quite frankly. MS had no competition in the os market...ever,

Around the Network
FatalInertia said:
Soundwave said:
FatalInertia said:
Soundwave said:
FatalInertia said:
Soundwave said:
Sony isn't going to go anywhere, but I think they are in for a decline and Microsoft is going to significantly out-spend them next generation on hardware, marketing, and exclusives.

Microsoft can see the blood in the water, they're not just going to idly accept Sony taking half of what they perceive to be "their audience". They are going to go for the kill, mark my words.

Not going to happen, MS has barely any exclusives now. MS ain't going to kill anything, the only reason they got the jump on Sony this time was sony was late and expensive, thats not happenoing this time. Sony has too many internal studios and third prty exclusives are rare. Sorry you're wrong. You cannot just go out and buy studios, SMs has evena dmitted the difficulty in having exclusives. and internal studios.

MS isn't going after exclusives now because there's no point. This generation is largely decided.

Next gen when both PS4 and 720 are at 0 userbase, MS throwing an extra $10-$20 million at a particular game could turn things in their favor in many instances.

Also I don't buy for a second that Capcom just gave Nintendo the Monster Hunter franchise out of the goodness of their hearts. Nintendo outbid Sony for it plain and simple behind the scenes, probably because Sony can't afford to even outbid Nintendo these days (that Wii Sports/Brain Training/Nintendogs monster profits didn't just evaporate overnight or go to charity).

Microsoft as a corporation makes too much money, in 3-6 months they make more than Sony has made in the last 10 years. And they do that every year. The living room is important for Microsoft to own because they know they screwed the pooch getting in late to the cell phone/MP3 player/tablet markets and they need something to show their investors that they have leadership in outside of the same ol' PC OS.

The 720 is going for the kill. Bet on it. If Sony thinks they're in for an easy ride next generation, they are going to get hammered IMO.

They already spent money on many games this gen didn't make much difference, a company is not going to lose sales and make many third party exclusives, are pretty much dead. Your in for a shock, MS is not going to come close to kill anything, sony has too much development and third party relationships, and mmajor brand recognition WW.

They can't do anything if MS decides to turn the next-gen into a bidding war for certain exclusives. If that happens, they're screwed.

And MS isn't stupid. They know this full well. They've done it to other companies before in the PC field, lol. Sony is nothing special. They've broken many other companies for breakfast.

I'm not even a MS fan, I don't own a PS3-Wii (I even have a Vita, lol), but I don't think MS is a teddy bear. I expect them to sense they can get a quick knock-out next gen and they are going to go for it. In a lot of ways, I think Sony is going to be MS' punching bag for the frustration they feel for being late to the cell phone/tablet market. They're going to take it out by taking control of the living room set-top-box market.

It's clear you have zero clue how business works. this isn't MAdden business........................ OS market is not the gaming market, apples and oranges.  Nothing MS can do to undercut sony in gaming.

Again, thid parties wont agree to lose out on sales as dev cost will be even higher next gen, its suicide, exclusives will be mainly first party. MS already tried the buy everything with DLC, advertising, still losing every year and sony is not making the same mistakes with the ps4.

Really? Nothing MS can do, huh?

So what if they start to offer money, big dollars for exclusives on certain big games upfront? What are you going to do Sony?

What if they take a look at Sony's spec for PS4 and go to AMD and say "we'll give you $30-$40 extra per unit, give us the higher end GPU and more RAM"?

Maybe you think this next gen for Sony will be easy. I think you badly underestimate how bad MS wants the living room. They need it.

Really beating Sony at this point is just one question -- "how much are you willing to spend?".

Who says developers want their fanbases split between two consoles? In uncertain times, for a lot of devs it probably sure would be nice to have one primary platform and force the entire audience to buy that platform so they only have to focus on making one version of a game rather than wasting resources make 2+ versions for every major release.

Soundwave said:
FatalInertia said:
Soundwave said:
FatalInertia said:
Soundwave said:
FatalInertia said:
Soundwave said:

So what if they start to offer money, big dollars for exclusives on certain big games upfront? What are you going to do Sony?

What if they take a look at Sony's spec for PS4 and go to AMD and say "we'll give you $30-$40 extra per unit, give us the higher end GPU and more RAM"?

Maybe you think this next gen for Sony will be easy. I think you badly underestimate how bad MS wants the living room. They need it.

Really beating Sony at this point is just one question -- "how much are you willing to spend?".

MS already did that, and again, its not that simple, not everyone can be bought. Epic, all major engines and companies are already invested in PS4 development. You have no clue how business works. You also rossly under estimating sony, majorly, good thing MS is not as NAive. Ea is also firmly engrained with ps4, you knopw the worlds biggest publisher. Again thinking business is like the board gamne game of life.

Why didnt ms do it in 2007, 2008 when PS3 was being laughed at and people thought it was dying? Because its not that easy

Attoyou said:
First?
SNES > GEN
PS1 >Saturn
PS2 > Dreamcast
Wii > 360

First never wins. Wii U doomed confirmed.

ds >> psp

3ds >> vita

The fact is that Sega failed due to being poor at running a business..  Nintendo is great in this regard and won't have the same issues. 

Secondly the Sega Genesis and the 360 were both hugely successfull. Who care that they didn't acheive 1st overall in terms of install base. Install base is way over rated. 

FatalInertia said:
Soundwave said:
FatalInertia said:
Soundwave said:
FatalInertia said:
Soundwave said:
FatalInertia said:
Soundwave said:

MS already did that, and again, its not that simple, not everyone can be bought. Epic, all major engines and companies are already invested in PS4 development. You have no clue how business works. You also rossly under estimating sony, majorly, good thing MS is not as NAive. Ea is also firmly engrained with ps4, you knopw the worlds biggest publisher. Again thinking business is like the board gamne game of life.

Why didnt ms do it in 2007, 2008 when PS3 was being laughed at and people thought it was dying? Because its not that easy

The reason why MS couldn't do it last gen was because Sony was too established as the king of the gaming business. All the games for 2007/2008 were already greenlit by 2005/6 at which time as a publisher you have to respect Sony becauuse the PS2 had just sold 100+ million consoles and was the earth/king/moon/stars of the industry. MS was still earning their stripes and was still a bit of an unknown because the first XBox only sold about 20 million, and a publisher couldn't just ignore that brand difference.

Not anymore. "Playstation" is just another brand now.

If I'm a publisher and I'm making a game, and MS is willing to give me $20 million for a year exclusivity, and I know both the PS4/720 effectively are starting at 0 userbase ... honestly I might take the bait. Especially like most studios right now probably are hurting for cash.

Who says publishers really want 2+ platforms to be successful? What's better for a publisher? Having two platforms with 70 million users between them, or one platform with 70 million on it?

I don't think MS will do that for every title, but I wouldn't be surprised if a "Monster Hunter" sized betraylton is coming on the console front. Maybe that's Battlefield 4 or (gulp) Call of Duty, but it wouldn't surprise me if MS is aggressively targeting one of the big franchises for exclusivity next gen.

Around the Network
Soundwave said:
FatalInertia said:
Soundwave said:
FatalInertia said:
Soundwave said:
FatalInertia said:
Soundwave said:
FatalInertia said:
Soundwave said:

The reason why MS couldn't do it last gen was because Sony was too established as the king of the gaming business. All the games for 2007/2008 were already greenlit by 2005/6 at which time as a publisher you have to respect Sony becauuse the PS2 had just sold 100+ million consoles and was the earth/king/moon/stars of the industry. MS was still earning their stripes and was still a bit of an unknown because the first XBox only sold about 20 million, and a publisher couldn't just ignore that brand difference.

If I'm a publisher and I'm making a game, and MS is willing to give me $20 million for a year exclusivity, and I know both the PS4/720 effectively are starting at 0 userbase ... honestly I might take the bait. Especially like most studios right now probably are hurting for cash.

Who says publishers really want 2+ platforms to be successful? What's better for a publisher? Having two platforms with 70 million users between them, or one platform with 70 million on it?

MS paid 50 milliojn just for gta IV dlc, look where that got them? It doesnt work, again you ae clueless about business. Sorry but yuo are in for a surprise, MS knows not to underestimate Sony in gaming. And BTW, Playstation WW is still a massive brand more so then xbox.

There are other ways to do deals, sony has massive assets in music, electronics, Movies......... you clearly have a warped perception of MS power and Sony is weak when it comes to gaming. in 2007 and 2008 PS brand was the weakest its evern been sorry.

FatalInertia said:
Soundwave said:
FatalInertia said:
Soundwave said:
FatalInertia said:
Soundwave said:
FatalInertia said:
Soundwave said:
FatalInertia said:
Soundwave said:

MS paid 50 milliojn just for gta IV dlc, look where that got them? It doesnt work, again you ae clueless about business. Sorry but yuo are in for a surprise, MS knows not to underestimate Sony in gaming. And BTW, Playstation WW is still a massive brand more so then xbox.

Why is outspending Sony and getting aggressive "underestimating" Sony? Wouldn't it be the opposite?

Take 2 can't put GTAIV on the 360 exclusively, because Playstation is too established of a brand 5 years ago. Most people still expected 5 years ago for the PS3 to far and away the no.1.

But today, things have changed considerably. Going with XBox is not such a big risk anymore, MS proved this generation that they are a real player in this business and especially in North America, and perhaps the West, I would have to say they are now poised to be the no.1 going forward. I don't see Sony being to stop their gains.

Soundwave said:
FatalInertia said:
Soundwave said:
FatalInertia said:
Soundwave said:
FatalInertia said:
Soundwave said:
FatalInertia said:
Soundwave said:
FatalInertia said:
Soundwave said:

Why is outspending Sony and getting aggressive "underestimating" Sony? Wouldn't it be the opposite?

Take 2 can't put GTAIV on the 360 exclusively, because Playstation is too established of a brand 5 years ago. Most people still expected 5 years ago for the PS3 to far and away the no.1.

But today, things have changed considerably. Going with XBox is not such a big risk anymore, MS proved this generation that they are a real player in this business.

LMAO PS was weaker then then it is now, sony was doomed then remember? PS3 was not selling well, 360 had a much bigger install base. PS brand has improved since then.

PS was never a risk and isn't. Gonna bookmark this to laugh at you in a couple years, no one in the industry thinks this is happening and are invested in ps4 for a reason. GAmes will cost MS hundreds of millions alone next gen just for DLC rights.

Stop theur gains? PS33 has sold faster then xbox this gen despite them making massive moistakes. MS has no chance to unsurp PS brand WW with them launching the same time and PS4 not being more expensive the entire gen,

FatalInertia said:
Soundwave said:
FatalInertia said:
Soundwave said:
FatalInertia said:
Soundwave said:
FatalInertia said:
Soundwave said:
FatalInertia said:
Soundwave said:
FatalInertia said:
Soundwave said:

But today, things have changed considerably. Going with XBox is not such a big risk anymore, MS proved this generation that they are a real player in this business.

LMAO PS was weaker then then it is now, sony was doomed then remember? PS3 was not selling well, 360 had a much bigger install base. PS brand has improved since then.

PS was never a risk and isn't. Gonna bookmark this to laugh at you in a couple years, no one in the industry thinks this is happening and are invested in ps4 for a reason. GAmes will cost MS hundreds of millions alone next gen just for DLC rights.

If games were developed in a weekend you might have a point.

Game dev cycles have to be greenlit years in advance.

So Sony really didn't suffer for their stupidity this generation because most of the big game IP were already greenlit and planned for PS3 by 2005/2006 and weren't going to be canned just because Sony went through a phase in 2007 were they were sucking gas.

And it's going to cost MS hundreds of millions (like the budget of an Avengers movie) just to get DLC? LOL. OK, if you say so.

Even the highest budget games next gen won't cost $100-$200 million period, unless a publisher wants to go broke.

Where's Monster Hunter Vita by the way? Sony couldn't pony up a few bucks for that? More like they couldn't afford to match whatever Nintendo offered.

I think slowly but surely MS is chipping away at Sony anyway. They went from 20 million and are probably going to end up in the range of 80 million this gen, whereas Sony has dropped. I don't see Uncharted and LittleBigPlanet doing diddly squat to slow MS' rising momenteum next gen, especially given that Sony simply can't afford to keep up with MS if MS really wants to tip the scales in their favor. Sony isn't the same company they were 7 years ago. Not even close.

Soundwave said:
FatalInertia said:
Soundwave said:
FatalInertia said:
Soundwave said:
FatalInertia said:
Soundwave said:
FatalInertia said:
Soundwave said:
FatalInertia said:
Soundwave said:
FatalInertia said:
Soundwave said:

If games were developed in a weekend you might have a point.

Game dev cycles have to be greenlit years in advance.

So Sony really didn't suffer for their stupidity this generation because most of the big game IP were already greenlit and planned for PS3 by 2005/2006 and weren't going to be canned just because Sony went through a phase in 2007 were they were sucking gas.

And it's going to cost MS hundreds of millions (like the budget of an Avengers movie) just to get DLC? LOL. OK, if you say so.

Even the highest budget games next gen won't cost $100-$200 million period, unless a publisher wants to go broke.

Exactly, games take years and millions yet all major studios are making games for ps4 as we speak, so much for MS killin off ps4, those making the games no it's not happening, but keep living in fantasy land.

GTA 4 dlc times rights cost 50 million...................... do the math, ms isn't that stupid like you think they are. Games next gen are slated to double in cost.