By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - 5 reasons wii u will be the ps2 of next generation

In order to to sell the numbers the PS2 did Nintendo would have to offer the same amount utility the PS2 did in its on an equivalent level this gen.

Around the Network
z101 said:
VGKing said:
z101 said:
DigitalDevilSummoner said:

The only way to ever see a PS2 again is for some company to fall.

And this is what will likely happen. I would be suprised (as all analysts) if Sony survive the next two years.

http://www.dw.de/sonys-woes-compounded-after-ratings-downgrade/a-16259017-1

http://www.moodys.com/research/Moodys-downgrades-Sony-to-Baa3-outlook-negative--PR_259577

Don't worry. Sony isn't going anywhere. 

But the facts speaks for themselves.

Yes I know, some people who rised up with Sony will don't believe it until it happen. But in the past other big companies have vanished too. It have seen companies go the way that Sony goes many times before.

The only facts are that Sony isn't leading in any of the industries which they were one king.
Sony isn't going bankrupt. That is a fact.

In order to to sell the numbers the PS2 did Nintendo would have to offer the same amount utility the PS2 did in its on an equivalent level this gen. It would also have the tough job of leading consumer need for third party core titles, which Nintendo hasnt done since probably the SNES.

VGKing said:
z101 said:
VGKing said:
z101 said:
DigitalDevilSummoner said:

The only way to ever see a PS2 again is for some company to fall.

And this is what will likely happen. I would be suprised (as all analysts) if Sony survive the next two years.

http://www.dw.de/sonys-woes-compounded-after-ratings-downgrade/a-16259017-1

http://www.moodys.com/research/Moodys-downgrades-Sony-to-Baa3-outlook-negative--PR_259577

Don't worry. Sony isn't going anywhere. 

But the facts speaks for themselves.

Yes I know, some people who rised up with Sony will don't believe it until it happen. But in the past other big companies have vanished too. It have seen companies go the way that Sony goes many times before.

The only facts are that Sony isn't leading in any of the industries which they were one king.
Sony isn't going bankrupt. That is a fact.

I wouldn't neccessarily be so certain of that. They owe more debt than they have cash on hand and have decling asset values all over the board. Some day they may be forced to declare bankruptcy to retool the company and get a reprieve from interest payments on their huge debt.

They're not in as bad of shape as Panasonic/Matsushita or Sharp though, not just yet. Those two are in big, big immediate trouble.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
In order to to sell the numbers the PS2 did Nintendo would have to offer the same amount utility the PS2 did in its on an equivalent level this gen.

Wii U can't even play DVDs or Blu-Rays. That alone could lead people to pick a different console.

Around the Network
VGKing said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

Wii U can't even play DVDs or Blu-Rays. That alone could lead people to pick a different console.

Nintendo TVii could be a game changer for them, but it has to actually work great. We'll see.

I don't understand why Nintendo doesn't just offer a DVD/Blu-Ray channel via download for $30 or something (thus offloading the royalty fees to the consumer ... fair enough, you want it, you pay for it).

Even though disc based movie viewing is on the way out, given the added functionality of the Wii U tablet as a remote control, it would be nice to be able to view all your media on one device using one remote.

RolStoppable said:
VGKing said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

Hm... could this be a potentially bigger problem than the lacking ethernet port?

Yes, it is a bigger problem IMO. Should I make a thread?

@Soundwave
Disc-based movie viewing will always have its place on the market. It is still bigger than digital. As digital movie streaming becomes bigger, subscription costs will only get higher and higher. Just look at how Netflix is struggling. Plus millions of people have already existing DVD and/or Blu-Ray collections.

VGKing said:
RolStoppable said:
VGKing said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

Hm... could this be a potentially bigger problem than the lacking ethernet port?

Yes, it is a bigger problem IMO. Should I make a thread?

@Soundwave
Disc-based movie viewing will always have its place on the market. It is still bigger than digital. As digital movie streaming becomes bigger, subscription costs will only get higher and higher. Just look at how Netflix is struggling. Plus millions of people have already existing DVD and/or Blu-Ray collections.

I agree, which is why I'd like to see Nintendo potentially offer a Blu-Ray channel download through the eShop if possible (I'm assuming the Wii U disc drive is a modified Blu-Ray drive).

That said, in the future I think disc sales will be less and less relevant. Not just because of Netflix, but really lets take a new release movie. Through my cable box I can "rent" it for $5-$6 and record it onto my PVR and watch it 5/6/7/8 times if I want. Versus $20-$25 for the Blu-Ray. Even for me, my Blu-Ray buying has really declined in the last year in favor of cable.

BasilZero said:

I dont remember bashing Sony...or Nintendo o.O?

I'll leave the epic endless battle between Sony and Nintendo to: Soundwave and Fatallnertia.....

The battle of No Avatars AHOY!

l0l what a joke.

I think you did the right thing there :P But it's more like Sony vs Microsoft in that debate ^^

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

FatalInertia said:

Not too mention ps2 had almost no competition, nintendo lost hardcore gamers and thir parties years ago, no one is going to buy a wii-u for cod, or AAA games, those peeps will just get them on PS 3 or 4 or xbox.

By that logic people didn't buy multiplats on xbox. There wasn't much xbox had that gamecube missed out on. It was microsoft who were pretty much being given the shaft last gen. They had by far the weakest japanese support. If it wasn't for team ninja they would have had nothing to stand out from there. Had Itagaki put profit above power ninja gaiden and dead or alive 3 would have been released on ps2. As games were failing in 2003 sega, capcom and namco were pretty much done with them. You seem to have ignored my point that xbox was not in the position it is in today. Had sony been more thoughtful about what gamers wanted, these 360 failure rate stories would have stopped it. Companies only started expanding their games to 360 when they realized their faith in ps3 was wrong. That is why you saw it happening in 2007. When people got a better indication of how ps3 was doing, they bailed.

@ Soundwave got a source to say gta v isn't planned? As far as I know rockstar haven't said a thing about wii u since platforms were announced. Just because wii u hasn't been announced as a platform yet doesn't mean it isn't on there.

@ Mummelmann I think its safe to say wii u will be successful because of nintendo's franchises. Nintendo don't just sit back and watch a platform die. They take action if they need to. What I am saying is Zelnick seems so confident in the next xbox and ps4, but that is only because he sees sales on them now. Not like nintendo can't turn it around. I have a question for him. He is pretty sure something like bioshock, gta or borderlands won't sell on wii u (for whatever reason that might be) so how much does he think these will sell on vita? I made a joke a while back saying it would look bad for vita if ac or cod outsold them on a system (wii u) where the owners supposedly don't buy third party games. While it was a joke at the time it isn't really as laughable as I thought. Reports are coming in that ac did terrible on vita. And if that can't sell there, what can? Right now they would be better off moving that vita bioshock game to wii u. It isn't really so daft to think it would sell more there. Look at ssfiv 3d, which sold hundreds of thousands on the first week, compared to street fighter x tekken which sold 6000.

For the online I do think nintendo need a way to go here. With stuff like cod it will depend on how good the online works. But as a core console with the controller, I think it will be more accepted. At the very least I think nintendo will claim back the people who supported them throughout gamecube. I stood by them of course but there were people who didn't.

One more thing to complete my year = senran kagura localization =D