By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Ubisoft fully support WiiU, but isn't happy with the high console price

happydolphin said:
the_dengle said:
RolStoppable said:

1. Don't stop to make games that fall under the "casual" label like Wii branded games and Super Mario Bros.
2. Don't leave windows open for third party games to sell. Good games don't need windows and first party games being released too far apart has only ever led to collapsing hardware sales for Nintendo. Nothing good has ever come out of it.
3. Let the industry run its course. They'll keep rising development costs while Microsoft and Sony will put out expensive consoles once again. At some point third parties will have to bring their games to the Nintendo system out of sheer necessity to survive.

The odds are stacked against Nintendo. They are facing incredible bias and resistance. But they can pull through, if they are persistent and make the games the market wants to buy.

Eh... nah, it's Rol. lol.

He said don't stop.

He said don't stop to make casual games. "Don't stop to do X" and "Don't stop doing X" are quite different things. In fact, they are opposites.

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
DanneSandin said:

what you are describing here is the Wii - plain and simple. it was the number one selling console for years, and still recieved little 3rd party support. all it got was gimped ports, and those don't sell too well.

I think you should have added a fourth point; namely, making adecvate hardware that can somewhat compete with sony and microsofts consoles. as long as it doesn't get gimped ports and is the cheaper option, nintendos console should get better 3rd party support.

What I described is more than just the Wii. It's Nintendo's position in the video game industry relative to third parties. It's not going to dramatically change just because Nintendo is releasing a new home console. The GameCube didn't fix this problem, it only made it worse. The Wii didn't fix this problem, but at least it put Nintendo back on the map instead of being perceived as the next Sega by third parties. The Wii U isn't going to fix the problem either. However, the PS4/720 can.

oh youre such a tease Rol! what can ps720 do to help nintendos relationship with 3rd parties? i have a hunch, but lets hear your thoughts first! :D

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

I largely agree with ^

RolStoppable said:

Third parties made the games they wanted to make for the N64. They put in as much effort as they saw fit.

Bolded: Are you seriously suggesting that the market in question was bigger on the GC than on the N64?

I am, but the cube was no match for the PS2.
By the time the cube came out, whether they made the games they wanted to or not, multi-plat support was present on the cube because Nintendo had created a market on its own plat.

DanneSandin said:

what you are describing here is the Wii - plain and simple. it was the number one selling console for years, and still recieved little 3rd party support. all it got was gimped ports, and those don't sell too well.

I think you should have added a fourth point; namely, making adecvate hardware that can somewhat compete with sony and microsofts consoles. as long as it doesn't get gimped ports and is the cheaper option, nintendos console should get better 3rd party support.

I agree with bold.

Nintendo should have stuck with their $200 price point which lasted up til the Wii... adding motion function contibuted to extra cost and thus increasing the price of the console. With the Wii U, the costly touch screen controller drove the price point up again. The system will surely do well but at $200, the console would undoubtedby sell well for a long time.

Steam/Origin ID: salorider

Nintendo Network ID: salorider

PSN: salorider

3DS Friend Code: 4983-4984-4179

RolStoppable said:

But multiplats were there when the GC launched and its installed base was 0. There was no market that Nintendo created yet.

Also, it needs to be noted that the GC didn't get all the multiplats over the course of its lifetime. There is a reason why the Xbox's library is around 100 games larger than the GC's despite being dropped by Microsoft after only four years.

I mean that Nintendo had built a market for its own brand, for Nintendo, in transition from the N64 to the cube. It was existent, even as the transition was happening. There were people ready to play games for that market on the cube. But the PS2 crushed those hopes by being the plat all 3rd party devs flocked to for their exclusives (on the wake of the PSX no less), so multi-plats didn't matter. I think that left a sour taste in some of the devs' mouth.

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:

So there was a market on the GC, but the games didn't sell (or didn't sell well enough), because the same third parties made exclusives for the PS2. Therefore third parties were mad at Nintendo. Yeah... that doesn't make any sense.

In order to make something useful out of this discussion, I'll post some numbers that I've found:

640 GameCube games: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Nintendo_GameCube_games

478 Xbox games work on Xbox 360: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Xbox_games_compatible_with_Xbox_360

That's approximately 51 % according to the linked article which brings the total number of Xbox games to around 900. In other words, about 250 more games than the GameCube had. Third parties pushed the GC out of the multiplatform development process, despite the GC and Xbox having similar software sales.

@Underlined. So close. It's therefore, third parties were left to serve a wasteland of a platform, because the PS2 swept the rug from under its feet.

It makes sense to me oO

Well, as far as support vs the xbox, well I don't disagree. But compare the cube to the wii for the same market, and the cube was much better supported, hands down (I don't have numbers, I'm just going by memory). It would make for a very interesting curve.

3rd party multi-plat support for games for an older crowd: NES vs competition, SNES vs competition, N64 vs competition, cube vs competition, Wii vs competition.

Factoring in the exclusives, it would make for very interesting data. One day... one day.

OMG imagine this:

A chart with all the multiplats over all time, for each platform, one dot per game, the dot's size relative to the game's success. It would be such an interesting curve to look at. :)

Damn, when did Nintendo raise the price to $600? Oh, what's that you say? They didn't?

Never mind then.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

$300/$350 is a bit pricey but Nintendo can probably get away with it. It will probably bite them in the butt by the time next spring rolls around though.

But if they can drop to $250/$300 by the time 720/PS4 are out they should be in OK shape.

RolStoppable said:

It doesn't make sense to me though, especially because you agree that the Xbox was the same wasteland of a platform in the very same post. Yet the Xbox saw continued support which is why it clearly outpaced the GC in the number of available games. Your stance in this argument is inconsistent.

Bolded: I have a hard time deciding how I should respond to lines like this. Yes, the GC had better support than the Wii in terms of multiplats, but that had nothing to do with which games Nintendo themselves released for their console and if I remember correctly, this was the original point I was making and the theory you were trying to test. For no other reason than to play devil's advocate. Since then I've seen some leaps in logic and I am wondering what the point of this exercise is.

@bolded. You forgot the part where I said that the market was created on the N64, prior to the cube releasing. It's a matter of potential energy.

If this is boring you I won't keep it going. Just carry on with the others.

There will be leaps in logic, I am ready to face them. I don't pretend to know all, Rol. Just chatting.

The point I was tryin' to make is that the N64 built a momentum for Nintendo, despite the low support by Nintendo for that market on the cube itself. The work was done beforehand on the n64 that led to the cube's lifecycle, but it didn't work out.

For whatever reason, I believe the sales of multiplats on the xbox sold better than on the cube.

Pos Game Platform Year Genre Publisher North America Europe Japan Rest of World Global
1 Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time PS2 2003 Adventure Ubisoft 0.88 1.03 0.00 0.31 2.22
5 Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time XB 2003 Adventure Ubisoft 0.57 0.33 0.00 0.04 0.94
12 Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time GC 2003 Adventure Ubisoft 0.25 0.06 0.00 0.01 0.32

Devs are not crazy either. Another maybe could help:

(Right image shamelessly ripped off of this post -> http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4886550)

Look at the growth of the xbox slice (and the general shrinkage of the GC slice). Not only did the PS2 dominate, but the xbox managed to gain marketshare and Nintendo managed to lose some. Microsoft won due to marketing I would guess, Nintendo lost because their games tend to get the limelight on their plat, and limelight sells games. (it's just true, Crash Bandicoot on the PS says so)

If wiiu sells well, ubisoft will have to deal.

If wiiu fails, ubisoft wont support.

Longterm sales will tell. Looks cloudy right now.