By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Ubisoft fully support WiiU, but isn't happy with the high console price

oniyide said:
Zelhawks37 said:
oniyide said:
leo-j said:
Zelhawks37 said:
oniyide said:
Zelhawks37 said:
If Wii U is expensive, can't wait for the other two consoles. What will he say then?

Probably the same thing. Whats your point?

Its kind of silly to say a 350 dollar system is expensive, especially comparing it to the PS3 in its early years.

everyone said the ps3 was expensive..

not to mention its silly to compare it to PS3 early years in the first place, we should be comparing it to PS3 in the CURRENT day, since that is the market Wii U is sharing.

Okay. We can compare it to today too. It is 50 dollars more (the basic model) than the xbox 360 and PS3, which is 7 year old tech. Gee, I wonder what the consumer will want to get if they had to choose between saving fifty dollars or getting a next generation console.

probably go with the cheaper option, that has a much larger library of games, history has shown that the cheaper systems usually sell better

People are always fascinated with new tech and innovation, which is why the Wii sold so much. I see the same thing happening, although not as booming as before.

Estelle and Adol... best characters ever! XD

Around the Network
theRepublic said:
Squilliam said:
theRepublic said:
Squilliam said:

Why not compare a tablet to a tablet? Even if one is tethered to a console and the other is free it still invites a comparison. 27% of households will own tablets by the end of this year and smartphones are over 50% pentration. The idea that one can get the same utility from an app as from a built in device shouldn't be shocking for anyone.

If it is not packed in the box, developers will not take advantage of the functionality.  There are countless examples of under utilized peripherals.  Look at the Wii Balance Board, Wii Motion Plus, Gamecube to Gameboy Advance connectivity, N64 Expansion Pak, SNES Super Scope, and NES Zapper just to name some Nintendo examples off the top of my head.

The fact that it is an app is not going to change that.  There will not be enough tablets out there, and a smart phone's screen is far too small to be useful in game.  The big difference with the Wii U controller is that the screen is built right in.  No one is going to want to try to operate both a standard controller and separate tablet at the same time in game.  When it is constantly there just inches from your fingers it is a different story completely.

It is more a service which is offered within pre-existing hardware and software/networking ecosystems, think the success of Netflix/Hulu etc on consoles. Adding peripherals has not been successful however given the fact that the design parameters are already built into the games,  adding support for additional platforms could easily be mandated for all games which port to the Wii U as well as other systems from Sony and Microsoft. People are never far from a tablet or mobile phone and dual screening is becoming a very common phenomenom, hence the reason the Wii U screen exists in the first place.

But that is not the draw for the touch screen!  It is the games!

Smart Glass could very well see features ported over from the Wii U.  But it will only be because of the central nature of the Wii U touch screen to the Wii U console.  Trying to play on two controllers at once will be much more cumbersome than one though.

It all depends on implementation. The fact that Nintendo are already doing it means that something which would never have had any support becomes viable as long as the developers are doing a Wii U version for their games. Good enough is all it needs to be, it doesn't need to be perfect and the implementation details are already being worked on so we will see what kind of integration happens with the various smart phones and tablets. The only thing lacking is really the standard for video transmission and the controller scheme, however I wouldn't be surprised if they either release a dedicated device with similar properties as the Wii U as an accessory whilst releasing compatible controllers which will work with a smart-phone/tablet using Blu Tooth for instance. It is far easier to give basic support for what the Wii U does than it was to copy the Wii because in most instances it'll leverage pre-existing smart-phones/tablets and these likely overlap significantly with console adoption.

Tease.

the_dengle said:

I definitely don't see anyone in that vid playing an XBox game through SmartGlass.

Seriously, the GamePad is not a tablet. It may look like a tablet. It may be used similarly to a tablet in certain circumstances. But it does not walk like a duck OR quack like a duck.

The GamePad vs tablet debate has been retread so many times it confounds me how the difference could still elude someone who hangs around video game forums. Go check out some previews, because journalists have covered this well enough that I won't waste my time explaining it.

Comparing Nintendo Land to Wii Sports on the basis of a single event (E3 2006, by the way) is ludicrous. The console hasn't even been released yet, but I'll remind you that the deluxe bundle including Nintendo Land sold out almost immediately upon being available for pre-order.

See other post.

Anyway early pre-orders don't indicate continual success of the platform. The total interest based for instance on Google search results are significantly less than before the release of the Wii:

http://www.google.com/trends/explore#q=wii%2C%20Wii%20u&cmpt=q

They don't need to convince the first 5M people to buy the console, they need to convince the next 40 million or so between now and 2015. They have a strong brand but overall the Wii has tanked in comparison to other leading consoles and even other consoles in this generation, however that doesn't mean much in the overall scheme as we know too little.

Tease.

I'm sure it's already been discussed, but, are publishers terrified of the PS4 and XBDurango launch prices, considering those consoles are going to be even more powerful?

wfz said:
I'm sure it's already been discussed, but, are publishers terrified of the PS4 and XBDurango launch prices, considering those consoles are going to be even more powerful?

Probably not. There is always a double standard with regards to Nintendo vs Microsoft/Sony. Quite probably however they'll target either $299 and/or $399 given the fact that cost reductions on consoles seem to be a distant memory and relatively fixed hardware can be expected. We certainly won't see the Sony 10 different PS2 revision strategy anyway, even Sony have only really released a few major changes to their PS3 console and Microsoft even less in the space of 7 years.

Tease.