By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Animal Crossing New Leaf Sold Out, Over 200k in Digital Sales!

Animal Crossing: New Leaf has sold out in Japan just a week after launch, having shifted 600,000 units and 200,000 digital downloads of the full game. Money hungry Tom Nook must be leaping for joy. Nintendo president Satoru Iwata took to Twitter to discuss the game’s success. See what he had to say below.

Translated by NeoGAF member Hobby, Iwata’s tweets revealed that the game had sold out after selling 600,000 copies. Also, the full game was downloaded 200,000 times via 3DS eSHop.

Iwata confirmed that Japanese retailers would see a new shipment of 200,000 copies this week. Stores have also been selling digital download cards for the game, and those too have sold out, suggesting that Nintendo’s move to full game downloads is paying off in the East.

However, paid DLC is not coming to Animal Crossing: New Leaf. Iwata called paid DLC ‘unwholesome’ in a recent interview.

http://www.vg247.com/2012/11/12/animal-crossing-3ds-sold-out-in-japan-iwata-talks-sales-figures/v

Great numbers for Animal Crossing! Also he states Japan will be getting 100k shipment early this week, and another 200k by the end of it! Might end up as the biggest game of the year in Japan.

Around the Network

Good job Nintendo.

I doubt it will topple Pokemon Black and White 2 this year, but I doubt Nintendo is complaining.

Love and tolerate.

I'm hoping for a good bump in 3DS sales too. People thought I was a little nuts when I stated it in the HW sales thread a week or two ago (that it would be a better system seller than Halo 4, BO2, AC3 due to respected systems age). I believe this could be a pretty damn good system seller in Japan this holiday. Too bad they didn't do a WW release though.. It would have been huge but no worries since it will be here spring 2013. I'm just a little jealous of the Japanese gamers right now.

This game will be hard to track for VGC because I think digital sales will be damn good.  Selling out in stores also will help the digital sales.  This game is one of the few that makes sense for me to have always on my system.  I downloaded NSMB2 from the eshop but I kind of wish I got the retail copy of that one.  Also, they need to clarify how they treat the digital sales.  I remember some people bitching about what happens if they lose their 3DS.  You should be able to redownload them if you log onto the Club Nintendo account with another 3DS.  However, there is the question what if someone just activates their account on their friends 3DS and they get all your games for free.   I'll look into it but if someone already knows then please tell.

Salnax said:
I doubt it will topple Pokemon Black and White 2 this year, but I doubt Nintendo is complaining.

It's already at 800k. With holiday boosts it should easily ease past 2 million. Will definitely outsell Pokemon eventually. I think it's a foregone conclusion that by the end of the year it will be the ebst selling 3DS game in Japan.

Around the Network

My daughter only likes one game and that is Animal Crossing on the Wii.

I bet she would love this game too.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

Great, great.
But did any of you guys here about how rough Nintendo was with the amount of units they put out for this game? Certain retailers got a lot less than what they usually get. I'm guessing that this game could've sold even more without the dictatorship of units being sent retailers.
Anywho, that's a ton of digital downloads!

NintendoPie said:
Great, great.
But did any of you guys here about how rough Nintendo was with the amount of units they put out for this game? Certain retailers got a lot less than what they usually get. I'm guessing that this game could've sold even more without the dictatorship of units being sent retailers.
Anywho, that's a ton of digital downloads!

Perhaps they are using the Wii tactic! 

However, they could be limiting it a little to try and push the digital sales while maintaining just enough to keep the retailers in stock (in future).

Wow AC is totally outselling NSMB2!

Playing Xenoblade 2 before I buy Xenoblade 3 (otherwise I couldn't wait to play 3).

Can they announce a new Fire Emblem? A remake of Genealogy or Tellius would suffice !

The beast is unleashed