By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Animal Crossing New Leaf Sold Out, Over 200k in Digital Sales!

VGKing said:
The 200k digital is way too high for a Nintendo console, but it turns out they were selling download codes in-store.

The 200k digital is included in the 600k total right? So 400k physical?

Nope. From the context it seems 600k physical and an additional 200k digital. Basically you can't sell out digitally :P. So the 600k is a reference to retail

Around the Network
VGKing said:
The 200k digital is way too high for a Nintendo console, but it turns out they were selling download codes in-store.

My understanding is that they're separate. 600k physical copies, 200k digital cards, unknown number downloaded straight from the eShop.

Paul said:
VGKing said:

What does the first sentence mean? If I buy a download code in a store and download it, or if I pay for it with my credit card and download it, isn't that the same thing except for the method of payment.

No, he has a point, especially in regards to Japan. The cards exist because large segments of the population still prefer purchasing items in a store, even if that item is simply a string of alphanumeric characters.

Paul said:
VGKing said:

What does the first sentence mean? If I buy a download code in a store and download it, or if I pay for it with my credit card and download it, isn't that the same thing except for the method of payment.

It means that Nintendo has the weakest online infrastructure, so 200k digital sales for any game is impossible.But then I saw that they were selling these cards in store so it makes sense.

Yes, it is the same thing but in Japan, if there weren't any of these cards available you can bet the digital sales wouldn't be anywhere near 200k.

kopstudent89 said:
VGKing said:

Nope. From the context it seems 600k physical and an additional 200k digital. Basically you can't sell out digitally :P. So the 600k is a reference to retail

But you can sell out of these physical cards with download codes on them. Which they did in Japan. 

Nowhere does it say 600k physical, so rigiht now you're just assuming. I'll wait for Media Create before continuing this discussion. I'm assuming Media Create won't count the digital cards?

VGKing said:
kopstudent89 said:
VGKing said:

But you can sell out of these physical cards with download codes on them. Which they did in Japan. 

Nowhere does it say 600k physical, so rigiht now you're just assuming. I'll wait for Media Create before continuing this discussion. I'm assuming Media Create won't count the digital cards?

Nope. I see your point, but Nintendo won't "ship" these cards. It's the stores that are offering this. So 200k downloads with 600k retail seems legit to me! I'd expect around 500k+ for the physical game. 

Around the Network
VGKing said:
kopstudent89 said:
VGKing said:

DL cards counts to digital, because even if you buy it in store "physically", you'll need to download the game from eShop, which means it's download sales.

From the beginning, Nintendo planned to ship just 200K copies (cartridges), but then up totals to 500K (sinobi wrote that 80-90% of them sold on the first day). Then Nintendo shipped additional 100K to 600K in first week, about which Iwata wrote.

Also, there's a hot AC bundle with Limited 3DS XL and pre-installed digital copy of game, which is sold out too. Btw, even if we don't get 100% accurate info soon (it'll come with Nintendo's FY presentation, then), the game is BEAST confirmed. Best start in series ever. 3DS will rock this holiday.

VGKing said:
Paul said:
VGKing said:

It means that Nintendo has the weakest online infrastructure, so 200k digital sales for any game is impossible.But then I saw that they were selling these cards in store so it makes sense.

Yes, it is the same thing but in Japan, if there weren't any of these cards available you can bet the digital sales wouldn't be anywhere near 200k.

Do you have any numbers for how many digital downloads Nintendo can handle at a given time. I'm sure they are investing in the infrastructure to handle a large amount of downloads as they offer more and more downloadable content. what would happen during the holiday season when all the kids open their gifts and rush to all download the game at the same time.

VGKing said:
kopstudent89 said:
VGKing said:

This line pretty much states it "shifted 600,000 units and 200,000 digital downloads of the full game." 

They sold 600,000 physical units which is inline with the first shipments which we know sold out on the first day and the 200,000 come from both cards and just going ot the Eshop.

Former something....

kopstudent89 said:
VGKing said:
kopstudent89 said:
VGKing said:

Nope. I see your point, but Nintendo won't "ship" these cards. It's the stores that are offering this. So 200k downloads with 600k retail seems legit to me! I'd expect around 500k+ for the physical game. 

So these stores print these little cards up themselves? How did they sell out then?

Paul said:
VGKing said:
Paul said:
VGKing said:

Do you have any numbers for how many digital downloads Nintendo can handle at a given time. I'm sure they are investing in the infrastructure to handle a large amount of downloads as they offer more and more downloadable content. what would happen during the holiday season when all the kids open their gifts and rush to all download the game at the same time.

No, I have no idea how much traffic Nintendo's servers can handle. 

@bold
Are you being serious here? The 3DS isn't exactly known for its digital content. I can assure you this wont' be a problem.