By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Animal Crossing New Leaf Sold Out, Over 200k in Digital Sales!

Blacksaber said:
VGKing said:
kopstudent89 said:
VGKing said:
The 200k digital is way too high for a Nintendo console, but it turns out they were selling download codes in-store.

The 200k digital is included in the 600k total right? So 400k physical?

Nope. From the context it seems 600k physical and an additional 200k digital. Basically you can't sell out digitally :P. So the 600k is a reference to retail

But you can sell out of these physical cards with download codes on them. Which they did in Japan. 

Nowhere does it say 600k physical, so rigiht now you're just assuming. I'll wait for Media Create before continuing this discussion. I'm assuming Media Create won't count the digital cards?

This line pretty much states it "shifted 600,000 units and 200,000 digital downloads of the full game." 

They sold 600,000 physical units which is inline with the first shipments which we know sold out on the first day and the 200,000 come from both cards and just going ot the Eshop.

Yeah you're probably right. Will Media Create count the digital cards as a sale? They are sold at retail stores after all.

Around the Network
VGKing said:

It means that Nintendo has the weakest online infrastructure, so 200k digital sales for any game is impossible.

VGKing said:

No, I have no idea how much traffic Nintendo's servers can handle. 

@bold
Are you being serious here? The 3DS isn't exactly known for its digital content. I can assure you this wont' be a problem.

I must say, your ignorance is pretty astonishing. I'd suggest taking steps to remedy this, but my guess is that this ignorance is largely willful.

VGKing said:
Blacksaber said:
VGKing said:
kopstudent89 said:
VGKing said:
The 200k digital is way too high for a Nintendo console, but it turns out they were selling download codes in-store.

Nope. From the context it seems 600k physical and an additional 200k digital. Basically you can't sell out digitally :P. So the 600k is a reference to retail

But you can sell out of these physical cards with download codes on them. Which they did in Japan. 

Nowhere does it say 600k physical, so rigiht now you're just assuming. I'll wait for Media Create before continuing this discussion. I'm assuming Media Create won't count the digital cards?

This line pretty much states it "shifted 600,000 units and 200,000 digital downloads of the full game." 

They sold 600,000 physical units which is inline with the first shipments which we know sold out on the first day and the 200,000 come from both cards and just going ot the Eshop.

Yeah you're probably right. Will Media Create count the digital cards as a sale? They are sold at retail stores after all.

Nay, the only info on Digtal sales we will get is from Nintendo's quarterly (Or when Iwata likes to share it at random times like this) though you can figure out to some extent the sales due to the leaderboard but true figures will only come from Nintendo.

Former something....

Best selling eShop games of all time (in Japan):

1: Pokemon AR Searcher
2: Animal Crossing Jump Out
3: Denpa Ningen RPG
4: Super Mario Bros. NES
5: 3D Classics Kirby
6: Creatoy
7: The Legend of Zelda DX
8: Pokemon Pokedex Pro
9: Hikuosu (Pushmo)
10: Simple DL Series Vol 1
11: Touch Battle Tank 3D
12: Denpa Ningen RPG 2
13: Super Mario Land GB
14: Anytime Bomberman
15: Super Mario Land 2
16: 10 Second Run
17: 3D Classic Zebius
18: New Super Mario Brothers 2
19: Hyuustone
20: Kirby GB

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=44246099&postcount=70

AC already at #2, and NSMB 2 just #18.
Digital beast.

@vgking, look here:

TSUTAYA's (big japanese ratailer) Weekly Chart:

DL cards separeted from cartridges.
Which means "they're not the same" and counts to digital in Iwata's statement.

http://jin115.com/archives/51911127.html

VGKing said:
Paul said:
VGKing said:
Paul said:
VGKing said:

What does the first sentence mean? If I buy a download code in a store and download it, or if I pay for it with my credit card and download it, isn't that the same thing except for the method of payment.

It means that Nintendo has the weakest online infrastructure, so 200k digital sales for any game is impossible.But then I saw that they were selling these cards in store so it makes sense.

Yes, it is the same thing but in Japan, if there weren't any of these cards available you can bet the digital sales wouldn't be anywhere near 200k.

Do you have any numbers for how many digital downloads Nintendo can handle at a given time. I'm sure they are investing in the infrastructure to handle a large amount of downloads as they offer more and more downloadable content. what would happen during the holiday season when all the kids open their gifts and rush to all download the game at the same time.

@bold
Are you being serious here? The 3DS isn't exactly known for its digital content. I can assure you this wont' be a problem.

Yes I am serious. I thought that you just implied that a large quantity of the downloads consisted of these cards. I would assume that some of these will end up as gifts along with digital copies of other pieces of software. I would assume that the holidays would create the most digital traffic for nintendo and it is an area of their business that they seem to be ramping up quite a bit.

Around the Network

Impressive, even after the performance on COMG.

While I tired of Animal Crossing a little after the Wii entry, it's a great franchise to have on the go. Congrats to it on the sales!

Chandler said:
DieAppleDie said:
Insert proper Jackie Chan pic

AHAHAHAHAHAHA, chan-tastic! =D This made me laugh so hard! =)

noname2200 said:
VGKing said:

It means that Nintendo has the weakest online infrastructure, so 200k digital sales for any game is impossible.

VGKing said:

@bold

I must say, your ignorance is pretty astonishing. I'd suggest taking steps to remedy this, but my guess is that this ignorance is largely willful.

You obviously misunderstood. By "online infrastructure" I mean their eShop as a whole being weak/primitive compared to the competition. I wasn't talking about their servers, but as long as we're on the topic, at the moment, I don't think their servers could hold up very well if there was enough demand for digital content on their systems. This is all just speculation of course. I have no insisde info. This is just an educated guess, so take it with a grain of salt.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=149806&

--------------------------------------

Excellent sales totals on both distribution methods.

I was a little skeptical about how much of an impact the in store download cards would have at any given point but this just showed how important they really are. A store sell out of physical goods can still sell the game so a customer isn't entirely turned away. So long as they don't sell out of the damn cards too. Talk about demand.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

VGKing said:

You obviously misunderstood. By "online infrastructure" I mean their eShop as a whole being weak/primitive compared to the competition. I wasn't talking about their servers, but as long as we're on the topic, at the moment, I don't think their servers could hold up very well if there was enough demand for digital content on their systems. This is all just speculation of course. I have no insisde info. This is just an educated guess, so take it with a grain of salt.

in·fra·struc·ture   (nfr-strkchr)

n.
1. An underlying base or foundation especially for an organization or system.