By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why did Sony go with Super Smash Bros. too instead of Super Mario Bros. too?

Tagged games:

bananaking21 said:
freebs2 said:
bananaking21 said:
samuship said:
Chandler said:
bananaking21 said:
its because Sony has a superior 2D platforming game, its called littlebigplanet

How can anyone compare LBP with a game like SMB3? It's something totally insane, because LBP has not nearly the same quality, is a franchise much younger, and infinitely less sold. Just because Sony copy the games and gives upgraded features and modernized does not mean they are better.

It's really laughable.

lol 

metacritic scores

littlebigplanet 95 > 89 super mario bros DS

Littlebigplanet 2 91 > 87 super mario bros Wii

Littlebigplanet vita 88 > 78 super mario bros 2 3DS

its obvious LBP slaugthers SMB in terms of quality, its funny how nintendo fans came rushing here claiming SMB is a better game when its clearly not, atleast have something to back your statements up other than your own bais opinion. also other than both being 2D platformers with co-op play, how and what did sony copy the inferior game that is mario?

I give more value to my own experince than to buch of numbers posted by biased reviwers and bribed editors.

The reason why LBP sucks it's clear, a terrible control response, the lack of any learning curve, the lack of any challange at all, the only supposed good thing of LBP is the editor, which is not. It takes like 10hours to create a decent level and it's not simple at all, while it takes just 3-4 hours to create a Mario level using editors amde by amateurs on the internet.

i guess having 500 lifes in a game proves to be really challanging!! and yes the editor sucks, those 7 million levels created by fans are just worthless obviously, i mean if the editor sucks then how can they make so many good levels?

No, th fact that a lot of user generated levels were made doesn't mean, the LBP editor is a good one. After all you consider irrilevant the fact that 10times more people are playing Super Mario instead of LBP. Imo, if you want to judge an editor you have to consider its capacity and its efficienty. If you consider capacity LBP editor is good, but on the other hand you can learn to use a simple tool like Gamemaker which is more capable and it's not really that hard to learn with a tutorial. If you consider its efficiency, as I said before, there is something wrong if a buch of random programmers on the internet can make an editor for Super Mario which is easier and quicker to use than the editor made by the AAA production.

As for the challange. Is NSMB more challenging than LBP? Yes. Can NSMB can be considered, in general, a challenging game? No. To be clear, I don't think NSMB is anywere close to be perfect. (for instance I think both Super Meat Boy and DKCR are better in single player) Still even tought it's not really challaging it is fine in any other aspect that make a platformer a good one. It has a fine control response, it has good level designes and, even tought it's quite easy to beat, it has an evident lerning curve (you can see it perfectly when you play multiplayer in coin battle mode). LBP isn't good in any of these departments.

edit. To be precise, what is valid for LBP is also valid for other games. Kirby Epic Yarn for example is praised by many Nintendo fans. I think it sucks, plain (imo) level design, no learning curve, no challange at all, good controls at least. And yet it has an higher metascore than Mario and Donkey Kong.

Around the Network
bananaking21 said:

@ BOLDED Take away all the customizations and the features community, Little bigPlantet isnt a superior platforming game. Mario does it better - as a platformer.

With the customization and the community, LittleBigPlanet is a better game.

So i strongly disagree with you.

Sometimes i think sony adds all these customization to their games (LBP, Modnation, LBP Karting) to hide the fact the cant compete with nintendo in game and level design. To compensate for this - they have players make their own stuff.

Bet with ninjablade:

Ninjablade wins if the next 5 multiplat on the wii u are inferior to the 360 version.

I win if one of the 5 mulitplats are on par or superior on the Wii U.

freebs2 said:
bananaking21 said:
freebs2 said:
bananaking21 said:
samuship said:
Chandler said:
bananaking21 said:

How can anyone compare LBP with a game like SMB3? It's something totally insane, because LBP has not nearly the same quality, is a franchise much younger, and infinitely less sold. Just because Sony copy the games and gives upgraded features and modernized does not mean they are better.

It's really laughable.

lol 

metacritic scores

littlebigplanet 95 > 89 super mario bros DS

Littlebigplanet 2 91 > 87 super mario bros Wii

Littlebigplanet vita 88 > 78 super mario bros 2 3DS

its obvious LBP slaugthers SMB in terms of quality, its funny how nintendo fans came rushing here claiming SMB is a better game when its clearly not, atleast have something to back your statements up other than your own bais opinion. also other than both being 2D platformers with co-op play, how and what did sony copy the inferior game that is mario?

I give more value to my own experince than to buch of numbers posted by biased reviwers and bribed editors.

The reason why LBP sucks it's clear, a terrible control response, the lack of any learning curve, the lack of any challange at all, the only supposed good thing of LBP is the editor, which is not. It takes like 10hours to create a decent level and it's not simple at all, while it takes just 3-4 hours to create a Mario level using editors amde by amateurs on the internet.

i guess having 500 lifes in a game proves to be really challanging!! and yes the editor sucks, those 7 million levels created by fans are just worthless obviously, i mean if the editor sucks then how can they make so many good levels?

No, th fact that a lot of user generated levels were made doesn't mean, the LBP editor is a good one. After all you consider irrilevant the fact that 10times more people are playing Super Mario instead of LBP. Imo, if you want to judge an editor you have to consider its capacity and its efficienty. If you consider capacity LBP editor is good, but on the other hand you can learn to use a simple tool like Gamemaker which is more capable and it's not really that hard to learn with a tutorial. If you consider its efficiency, as I said before, there is something wrong if a buch of random programmers on the internet can make an editor for Super Mario which is easier and quicker to use than the editor made by the AAA production.

As for the challange. Is NSMB more challenging than LBP? Yes. Can NSMB can be considered, in general, a challenging game? No. To be clear, I don't think NSMB is anywere close to be perfect. (for instance I think both Super Meat Boy and DKCR are better in single player) Still even tought it's not really challaging it is fine in any other aspect that make a platformer a good one. It has a fine control response, it has good level designes and, even tought it's quite easy to beat, it has an evident lerning curve (you can see it perfectly when you play multiplayer in coin battle mode). LBP isn't good in any of these departments.

yes just because millions of levels were created on doesnt mean its a good one. but you forgot the fact that its level editor was once of the main reasons its one tons of awards, its level editor is one of the main reasons its a great game, and the quality and creativity that the user generated levels have is a  testament to the editors quality. and say about obout littlebigplanets level desinges? and i never had a single problem with littlebigplanets control response, i have no idea where your bringing that from 

sensebringer said:

1) Comparing LBP with Super Mario Bros is like comparing Apple to Orange, Is like comparing COD with borderlands because both have guns. Diferent games.

2) An opinion is a fact? since when? Triple facepalm. When we are talking about entertaiment (like video games) the only fact you can use to compare similar games is sales. You are just showing the need of some Sony fans to talk and look down everything Nintendo.

when did i use opinion? i gave metacritic scores. in this thread i have never said in my opinion which game i personally think is better 

Edit : i certainly have no need to "look down everything nintendo" i simply answered the OP, some people obviously didnt like the answer (even though its true) and replied back to instead of answering the OP

bananaking21 said:
DanneSandin said:
bananaking21 said:
Chandler said:
bananaking21 said:

It would appear that the newer installments of Mario is inferior to LBP:

http://gamewise.co/games/21472/LittleBigPlanet-2 - 9.1 in user score

http://gamewise.co/games/26711/New-Super-Mario-Bros-Wii - 8.9 in user score.

BUT looking at the big picture:

http://gamewise.co/games/36794/Super-Mario-Bros-3 - 9.3 in user score.

Clearly Super Mario Bros. is better because that's what the GAMERS says, not any bribed/biased reviewer.

Facts.

hahahahah so now were measuring quality by what fanbody say and do? so games like halo 4 are actually a 6/10, mass effect 3 a 5.3/10 call of duty 3/10. because you know the interenet isnt full of fanboys just trolling games, no not at all. i would rather go with a man who's profession to rate games than a fanboy on the interent 

Well if you can mention the opinion of game journalists, then surely I can mention the opinion of gamers? We all know game journalists have been bribed or black mailed into giving games higher scores than what they would have liked. And as far as I know this have never happened to a Nintendo game, so we can assume that Nintendo isn't in to that sort of business and therefor their game score would be lower. And then factoring in the fact that eurogamer, a pretty big and respected gaming site, in an article clearly was biased AGAINST Nintendo and Wii U we can assume that several game sites have something against Nintendo.

What I'm trying to say is that refering to the score of either game journalists or users/gamers in itself is faulty. Neither can be trusted.

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

Around the Network
bananaking21 said:
Chandler said:
bananaking21 said:
Chandler said:

You heard it hear folks, sales numbers = opinions. Anyway, I trust 28.62 million opinions more than 5.01 million opinions. 

so according to your logic if sales = opinions then it means quality. so to your logic justin biebers 800 million views on youtube makes it the best song in history and him the best singer, and the second best song in history is gangnam style. yes very logical. views on youtube = sales = quality

So views on youtube are sales now. Good to know, keep em coming, bro.

no, they indicate the popularity of something, in this case the popularity of songs is directly linked to youtube hits, a popularity of a game is directed to its sales. and you claimed sales which defines how popular a game is to quality, which is the same is saying views on youtube which indicates how popular it is to quality. so accoring to  your logic populairty = quality which says baby and gangnam style are the best 2 songs in history by far

Bottom line is, when people put money down for something they deem it worth it. Way more people put money down for NSMB than LBP, even with LBP being a lot cheaper nowadays. So you can rub on out on your hipster scores all you want, it doesn't help the games at all. 50 reviewers opinions are inferior to millions of opinions of people who actually put their money where their mouths are.

Ongoing bet with think-man: He wins if MH4 releases in any shape or form on PSV in 2013, I win if it doesn't.

bananaking21 said:
sensebringer said:

1) Comparing LBP with Super Mario Bros is like comparing Apple to Orange, Is like comparing COD with borderlands because both have guns. Diferent games.

2) An opinion is a fact? since when? Triple facepalm. When we are talking about entertaiment (like video games) the only fact you can use to compare similar games is sales. You are just showing the need of some Sony fans to talk and look down everything Nintendo.

when did i use opinion? i gave metacritic scores. in this thread i have never said in my opinion which game i personally think is better 

A review of a game is an Opinion. It is not a fact.

Edit: If a review score  was a fact all the reviews of that game would give it the same score. My car is a Toyota Corolla. No one can say it is and Honda Accord. Some one can say that my car is good, someone can say that my car is bad. Thats an opinion. But no one can say that my car is not a Toyota Corolla. Thats a fact. 

DanneSandin said:
bananaking21 said:
DanneSandin said:
bananaking21 said:
Chandler said:
bananaking21 said:

It would appear that the newer installments of Mario is inferior to LBP:

http://gamewise.co/games/21472/LittleBigPlanet-2 - 9.1 in user score

http://gamewise.co/games/26711/New-Super-Mario-Bros-Wii - 8.9 in user score.

BUT looking at the big picture:

http://gamewise.co/games/36794/Super-Mario-Bros-3 - 9.3 in user score.

Clearly Super Mario Bros. is better because that's what the GAMERS says, not any bribed/biased reviewer.

Facts.

hahahahah so now were measuring quality by what fanbody say and do? so games like halo 4 are actually a 6/10, mass effect 3 a 5.3/10 call of duty 3/10. because you know the interenet isnt full of fanboys just trolling games, no not at all. i would rather go with a man who's profession to rate games than a fanboy on the interent 

Well if you can mention the opinion of game journalists, then surely I can mention the opinion of gamers? We all know game journalists have been bribed or black mailed into giving games higher scores than what they would have liked. And as far as I know this have never happened to a Nintendo game, so we can assume that Nintendo isn't in to that sort of business and therefor their game score would be lower. And then factoring in the fact that eurogamer, a pretty big and respected gaming site, in an article clearly was biased AGAINST Nintendo and Wii U we can assume that several game sites have something against Nintendo.

What I'm trying to say is that refering to the score of either game journalists or users/gamers in itself is faulty. Neither can be trusted.

i stoped reading your reply when you said  "asfar as i know it didnt happen with nintendo" and we "can assume nintendo isnt into that bussines" 

well as far as i know sony, ms, activision, ea and rockstar arent into that stuff as well, we we can assume there games arent bribed as well? or what how does this go? we go by assumptions and speculation now?

Chandler said:

LOL!!!

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

sensebringer said:
bananaking21 said:
sensebringer said:

A review of a game is an Opinion. It is not a fact.

when did i ever say it wasnt? i stated that LBP had higher metacritic scores then SMB. is that an opinion or fact?