By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Your Top 50 Games: 2012 Discussion Thread: FINISH YOUR LISTS

6. Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn, Wii (2007) Nintendo/Intelligent Systems

Here we've got a long game, longer still than Path of Radiance, it's direct predecessor, but this is another case where length does not lead to boredom. Compelling chapters, one after the other, leading to a game roughly 50 hours in length per playthrough. The story ramps up the intrigue from the old Path of Radiance, taking multiple storylines, tying them all together brilliantly, and leading up to a showdown with the very Goddess that you believed to be the sacred savior of all peoples. They balanced out a few elements that weren't quite there in PoR, though in some cases they undermined other things, with the non-legendary laguz being less useful than they once were, but then there is the legendary laguz, a third promotion tier, special moves for everyone in the third promotion tier, deeper weapon customization, and lots of great characters.

The game also had some thrilling battle music.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Around the Network

5. The dinosaur is on the roof.

Well, nobody got or even attempted #6, so:

6) Portal 2

The original Portal was a breath of fresh air, but it was short and never really got very deep. Portal 2 was better in every concievable way. GLaDOS had even more great lines than before, and she was joined by two excellent characters in the form of Cave Johnson and Wheatley. The campaign was significantly longer, introduced a range of new gameplay mechanics and created puzzles that actually became difficult towards the end. There was a proper storyline with changes of setting. The co-op gameplay was nothing short of outstanding. There is almost literally nothing to dislike about this game, and yet it wasn't even my favourite game of 2011.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

Clue for #5 (how exciting): A game all about objectives, in more ways than one.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

@Mr Khan

One guess for Super Mario 64 deserves another. ^_~

Around the Network
Kantor said:
Clue for #5 (how exciting): A game all about objectives, in more ways than one.

Mod-chat cheating is go: BioShock

Player2 said:
Michael-5 said:

6. Hint: Just the best turn based strategy game ever. One of the best games available on a handheld. This game is the sequel to the best selling game in the franchise, but it's much better then the game it's based off. However the next iteration has a good chance of being the first game in the series to break 1 million sales WW.

5. Hint: IMO this is the best handheld game that isn't a console port. To me, this is the spiritual successor to Super Mario RPG. Similar dungeon styles, similar puzzles, similar jokes, similar graphics, but no Mario. Amazing game.

Hint: Both the above games are available on the same platform, and what a platform it was.

6 - Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones.

5 - Golden Sun.

You are correct! These two are my favorite handheld games ever made. GBA truely was a portable SNES to me, and it shows in the games. It's difficult for me to pick which one of these I like over the other, but Golden Sun wins because I can play it over and over and not get bored. Meanwhile there are half a dozen other Fire Emblems to play, and the genre has so many other entries.

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results

#6 - SimCity 4 and it's expansion 'Rush Hour' is the definitive simulation game. Like the equally high placed Rollercoaster Tycoon 2, The player is able to create everything imaginable in this title. Especially when it's a little enhanced by mods, created by the good people of a still thriving community. The game is perfectly balanced in every way, with just enough options and sophistication to control your city without getting overly complicated. Also, the fully 3D rendered city is beautiful to look at and see in motion. The game is the perfect way to pass the time, and always takes the out of me in creativity. I turn to this game as a reminder to think ahead and come up with new sollutions!

#5 - ?

In the intro of this game, the famous protagonist mistakes a character for the even more famous titular character. Which, obviously, she's not.

So, clues get harder for the top 10 . #6 wasn't correctly guessed, as was #8. Let's see what #5 will do!

Mr Khan said:

9. Skyward Sword?

8. Super Mario 64

6. Ocarina of Time

Correct on all three counts!

Here's another hint for #7:

This old man helps you find the missing number.

Also, for #5:

You are Monsieur Homosexual.

#9: The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword (2011)
Last Year: New

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword takes the best of the old and the new and creates a game unlike anything else seen before in the series. Some of this is thanks to the implementation of WiiMotion Plus, allowing players to literally wield Link's sword, shield, bow and other assortment of items. It takes a few minutes to get used to, but once everything clicks, the use of motion controls allow for the player to really become the hero of legend. Another highlight is the cast of characters. Skyward Sword really shines in creating amazing friends and foes that you'll encounter on your way. The standouts are Zelda (my favorite iteration by far), Groose (GROOOOOOOOOOOOSE!), the Kikwis (Kew kew kew...), and the nefarious Ghirahim, who really stole the show (and each battle was great fun). And we cannot forget the actual meat of the game, as the adventure itself is full of brilliant game design (the dungeons are among the best I've played in the Zelda series) and amazing graphics and sound (Dat art style. Dat music.). In the end, Skyward Sword treads new ground all while respecting its monumental history. What a ride.