By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Your Top 50 Games: 2012 Discussion Thread: FINISH YOUR LISTS

Veknoid_Outcast said:
Clue for #22:

A popular Nintendo mascot appeared as a playable character in the sequel to this game.

SoulCalibur?

Around the Network
milkyjoe said:

21 is a local multiplayer classic.

Sex.

Scoobes said:
S.Peelman said:
Mr Khan said:

Maniac Mansion?

The first game of this franchise in the current (7th) generation. The franchise took the meaning of accessoiries to a whole other level.

One of the Guitar Hero games? Either II or III I guess would count as first in the current gen.

Guitar Hero is correct!

It is one of the games I never thought to be this enjoyable. I am talking about Guitar Hero III, which was the first one built for current gen while II was only ported to 360 from PS2 (I think).

S.Peelman said:
Veknoid_Outcast said:
Clue for #22:

A popular Nintendo mascot appeared as a playable character in the sequel to this game.

SoulCalibur?

You're good!

22. Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, GC/Wii (2006) Nintendo (last year 19)

Here is a game that wins many of its points from style, tone, and content, but is slightly weaker on the gameplay front. Twilight Princess improved little from the problems of Wind Waker, for instance, except that it was longer with less filler. Improved archery and some fun items as well as the game's often-haunting style win its slot for it. It slides a little because its successor, Skyward Sword, helped magnify this game's flaws retroactively.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Around the Network

My #22, as guessed by Peelman, is SoulCalibur.

Many people consider Soul Calibur to be the greatest fighting game ever made. It's difficult to argue with them. Soul Calibur is the continuation of the Soul series, which debuted in arcades as Soul Edge and found a home on the Playstation console renamed as Soul Blade. Like its predecessor, Soul Calibur is a 3D weapons-based fighter. Each colorful character uses a distinct weapon and employs a specialized fighting style. Unlike its predecessor and unlike every 3D fighter to come before it, Soul Calibur introduced a revolutionary 8-way run, where fighters could move freely in three dimensions. Soul Calibur also features a “mission mode,” in which players can complete mission objectives to gain points, which can be used to purchase costumes and artwork.

23) God of War (PS2 / 2005 / Action)

An epic and violent adventure, and part of the only series of hack and slash games I have ever liked.

22) Braid (PSN / 2008 / Puzzle Platformer)

Beautiful music and visual design, intuitive gameplay that really makes you think, and some great writing make this my favourite downloadable game ever (though admittedly I have yet to play Journey).

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

Clue for 21: The first appearance this generation of a villain whom I love.

Also: who knew that voice actor (not the one who plays the villain) had such range?

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

Kantor said:

Clue for 21: The first appearance this generation of a villain whom I love.

Also: who knew that voice actor (not the one who plays the villain) had such range?

You've had a Doctor Nefarious avatar for such a long time that I'm gonna go with Ratchet and Clank: Tools of Destruction (or A Crack in Time if you meant return as main villain)

Signature goes here!

#22: Super Smash Bros. Melee (2001)
Last Year: 24

Supah Smash Brothers... MELEE! The GameCube launched with a bang thanks to the glory of the second enstallment of the Smash Bros. franchise (well, it came out a month after the GCN launched... so close enough!). More characters (Bowser! Ganondorf! Zelda! Falco! Mewtwo!), more fluid gameplay, Smash attacks, a greater single player adventure taking place in all of NIntendo's greatest worlds... it was all there. The series continued its mastery of the art of multiplayer fun... and more than 800 hours of this game were played once it was all said and done. The Smash Bros. series is a simple one, but there's genius in that... and that's what makes the series... and Melee in this case, such a wonderful game.