By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - I told some bible thumping Christians that I was an Atheist today, to get them to **** off!

@ OP

You have got to be one of the most insecure people on vgchartz. to be spilling your guts on a forum over something as insignificant as this. Especially given the overly dramatic first sentence in your OP.

I'm already used the fact that there are many followers of various religions that will pester you if they are given the chance but it still suprises me that people are having a hard time telling these followers to shove off.

They ask you the first time about religion, you politely say that you're not interested in the conversation, if they press on then you proceed to explain that what you meant the first time was for them to f*ck off. Works like a charm.

The whole thing about religious house callings is odd to be honest. A total invasion of privacy and a waste of time.

If i lose access to this profile as well....I'm done with this site.....You've been warned!!.....whoever you are...

Happy Wii60 user. Me and my family are a perfect example of where hardcore meets casual and together mutate into something awesome.

Around the Network
Jumpin said:
The only people I have had come to try to convert me were neo-atheists; it happens a lot on Internet forums especially, most of them trying to argue their points using straw man arguments, and arguments that were refuted centuries ago.

Most atheists are fairly ignorant too, believing that because someone is religious that they somehow don't believe in the scientific method.

Mostly I see atheism as an excuse certain types of people use to justify their bigotry.

What's a neo-atheist?!

Scoobes said:
Jumpin said:
The only people I have had come to try to convert me were neo-atheists; it happens a lot on Internet forums especially, most of them trying to argue their points using straw man arguments, and arguments that were refuted centuries ago.

Most atheists are fairly ignorant too, believing that because someone is religious that they somehow don't believe in the scientific method.

Mostly I see atheism as an excuse certain types of people use to justify their bigotry.

What's a neo-atheist?!

Richard Dawkins and his ilk.

Paul said:
Scoobes said:
Jumpin said:

What's a neo-atheist?!

Richard Dawkins and his ilk.

So a neo-atheist is simply a vocal atheist?

I would have thought debate a healthy thing.

Scoobes said:
Jumpin said:

What's a neo-atheist?!

The current major atheist movement led by Hitchens, Dawkins, Harris, and Dennet.

Mostly on the sale of aggressive attacks on straw men they built to represent the viewpoints of religions. 

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Around the Network
Jumpin said:
Scoobes said:
Jumpin said:

What's a neo-atheist?!

The current major atheist movement led by Hitchens, Dawkins, Harris, and Dennet.

Mostly on the sale of aggressive attacks on straw men they built to represent the viewpoints of religions. 

I'm pretty sure Hitchens isn't leading anything these days. He is either being tormented in the hell fires or is more likely just dead.

Jumpin said:
Scoobes said:
Jumpin said:

What's a neo-atheist?!

Don't most of these guys have actual debates with religious scholars? I'm sure Dawkins at least had a debate with the previous Arch-Bishop of Canterbury and a Jewish Rabbi. I'm not sure I'd call it aggressive if it's just debate.

Scoobes said:
Jumpin said:

What's a neo-atheist?!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slKULc8W7lM

The last time this happened I literally slammed the door in their face. Ryan you are a civilized man.

I have no problem with the message of someone trying to sell me something, what I do have a problem with is the method. Having people knock on my door and try to sell me on a religion is simply rude. Drop a pamphlet in my mail box and chances are I will read it (eventually), but do not disturb me! This is no different than when people knock at my door to try and get me to change my natural gas provider, or tell me my roof needs to be redone. It is no different than the phone calls I get asking me to take a survey, or apply for a new credit card, or whatever. All it accomplishes is to upset me enough that I would rather pick any other choice.

In the absence of evidence to the contrary, always assume you have the upper hand.

NNID = RangerOne

Switch = SW-2393-3671-6907