By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Xbox 720 or Playstation 4 will debut next year, says Activision

teigaga said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
the_dengle said:
007BondAgent said:
sony needs to be the first one out this time.

Unless they can reveal, market, manufacture, and ship consoles to stores within the next 8 days -- and don't forget the launch line-up -- I don't think it's gonna happen.

Honestly, I think Sony could benefit from being the last console out. The PS3 launched too early if anything, and they shouldn't repeat that mistake.

Sony needs to be the first one out. They were the last ones out last time and it did not serve them well.

Again I'm sure its $600 price tag and the luke-warm reception to almost all its exclusives were mostly to blame.

Exactly.

Releasing third worked out just fine for Sony.  Even with a horrible launch, the PS3 has still sold at a much higher sales rate than the 360.  Imagine if it had launched at an acceptable price and with a solid library.  Had that been the case, I think it's safe to say that it would have out-sold the 360 by an even larger margin during that time.  It's all the other mistakes Sony has made that have been to blame, not the timing of the PS3 launch.

Microsoft is the one that needs to release first if they want brand growth.  Despite spending the most money this generation on marketing and acquiring 3rd party exclusives, and releasing with a headstart of a full year, the 360 has the lowest sales rate, the smallest installed base (perhaps RRoD is to blame there), and is the weakest brand globally.  If they don't launch early, or with some serious innovations (very possible), they might end up struggling with market share.

Not that it would necessarily be a big deal except to fanboys, who only seem to see placement in total units sold as having any meaning at all, which is silly.  It's very possible all the consoles will be quite close in sales and shares and all of them successful.  If this generation has shown anything, it's that there is room for three consoles on the market.

Around the Network
benji232 said:
babuks said:
superchunk said:
babuks said:
KeptoKnight said:
To challenge the Wii-U or play catch up with the Wii-U? lol

By releasing a console Fall 2013 (Halloween-Christmas) Nintendo WILL have some serious quality software ready on board that holiday (for Wii-U and 3DS). I don't know if it will be wise to have a console release without a killer 1P. In other words can rushing a console release be a good thing or bad thing?

Since when Nintendo could compete with Sony's console (except casual players Wii). 

I take it you were born sometime after 2006?

N64 and Gamecube were both more powerful and technology leaders over PS1 and PS2 respectively. During that time, Sony also had all the "casual" games and so forth.

He was referring to 'sales' with the words 'catch up'. Show me the numbers plz when Sony played 'catch up'.

You must have been living under a rock sir because Sony has been playing the "catch up" game this whole generation. They only started to make money from the ps3 in the past year/half. They were basically sitting in 3rd place this whole gen while nintendo was sitting in 1st place swimming in their billions of dollars.

Hey, do you have a link for that?  I'd be interested in read it.  Everything I've seen has the PS3 turning a profit on console sales in the last quarter of 2009.

PS4 or x-box 720? How about both? That is more than likely, one will not launch without the other. There's no way that Sony or MS will let the other have a one year advantage again and there's certainly no way that they'll let Ninty have two years head start.

the_dengle said:
selnor said:

To early?

PS3 released to late. Any later and we wouldnt be talking about PS3  today.

Late again will kill the Playstation brand altogether. 

Yup, too early. Manufacturing costs were too high, especially for the Blu-Ray compatibility, driving the price up. Launch games were so-so. PS2 was still selling quite well. If Sony had waited till Holiday '07 to release the PS3, it would've been heralded as the second (or third?) coming of Video-Game-Console-Christ. And it probably would have sold as such.

As it was, Sony was already forced to drop the price before the PS3's second holiday. They may as well have waited a year to begin production and launched at $500.

Also, if Sony would have waited, then they could of launced it when Xbox360 was in the midst of RROD meltdown.  

jadakiss1217 said:
I do not think the PS4 nor the XBOX720 will be coming out at the end of the next year--both systems will debut at next year's E3,but you usually do not release a new system the same year of its debut.The last company that tried this was Sega,with the debut of the Sega Saturn,and we all remember how that turned out.

You are forgeting Microsoft with the Xbox360, revealed and launched in 2005, and the fact that announcing the nextbox/PS4 one year before launching would be bad for the sales of their actual machines, as many people will hold their purchases (waiting to buy either the successors or the PS360 at a lower price).

But they don't even have to wait for E3 to reveal them. Microsoft, again, unveiled the Xbox360 during an MTV special 1 month before E3.

And given that the early adopters of a console are fans of that brand or *sigh* hardcore gamers, both of them groups that follow internet sites and all the events related to videogames, nothing stops Microsoft or Sony to reveal them during the GDC in March or, given their focus on the living room and being the utimate media center, the CES Show in January.

Then, they can leave E3 to show all the games and other features to the masses who will be pleased to hear that they will be able to buy it that same year, just like Apple fans know the existance of a successor for their iwhatever just weeks before launching.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

Around the Network

I'm guessing Sony wants its own launch, so either Dec. '13 or early '14 release is my prediction.

teigaga said:
I don't trust the reports of the issue with chips, we hear the same thing or at least something similar almost every console launch, with the wii U it was that there was an issue with the control and that it would't come out till 2013. There may be problems or delays but its not even 2013 yet so I don't see that would result in a 2014 launch for microsoft.

My bets remain
Xbox 8 fall 2013- launch titles: Destiny, Watchdogs, Ryse, 2 Rare games; 1. action/adventure 2. Kinect title, Unreal Tournament 4 and then the usual COD, FIfa, Madden.

PS Orbis march-september 2014. I'm personally hoping they release in september
Launch titles: Final Fantasy versus XIII, Starwars 1313... sony tends to go for all new IPs each gen so the rest I won't even guess at.

If you don't think Uncharted to be out within the first 3 months, then you're a bit clueless bro. In fact, I confident to say it will be a launch title which would be very smart. One of their ND studios is working on a game, and seeing how they rotate the Uncharted games, it is in production. Next year window release, and this to me points to the PS4 coming out in November of next year. The other studio is of course making their newest franchise title (Last of Us).

Then you also forget Gran Turismo franchise, which never resets. GT6 coming out on the PS3, probably not. I bet all their efforts are in it for the PS4, otherwise they would have released info on the game to make a 2012, or early 2013 release for GT6. Any later doesn't make sense. You can't release it Fall, or Winter of 2013 knowing about the next generation consoles hitting the market. But it's vey sad to me that we only got one GT game this generation.

You know when the PS4 launches they will have a strong launch lineup. It's very important thing for them (first part support).

Exciting, but pretty obvious.

JEMC said:
jadakiss1217 said:
I do not think the PS4 nor the XBOX720 will be coming out at the end of the next year--both systems will debut at next year's E3,but you usually do not release a new system the same year of its debut.The last company that tried this was Sega,with the debut of the Sega Saturn,and we all remember how that turned out.

You are forgeting Microsoft with the Xbox360, revealed and launched in 2005, and the fact that announcing the nextbox/PS4 one year before launching would be bad for the sales of their actual machines, as many people will hold their purchases (waiting to buy either the successors or the PS360 at a lower price).

But they don't even have to wait for E3 to reveal them. Microsoft, again, unveiled the Xbox360 during an MTV special 1 month before E3.

And given that the early adopters of a console are fans of that brand or *sigh* hardcore gamers, both of them groups that follow internet sites and all the events related to videogames, nothing stops Microsoft or Sony to reveal them during the GDC in March or, given their focus on the living room and being the utimate media center, the CES Show in January.

Then, they can leave E3 to show all the games and other features to the masses who will be pleased to hear that they will be able to buy it that same year, just like Apple fans know the existance of a successor for their iwhatever just weeks before launching.

You are right JEMC,Microsoft is the first company to successfully debut and release a gaming console in the same year.But traditonally you usually debut a gaming console a year before release,as we seen with the WiiU.

I totally forgot about that MTV special back in May 2005

End of 2016 prediction

PS4:43M-46M

XBONE:28M-33M

The Xbox 3 and PS4 will sell more on launch day than the Wii U will  for the whole year 2022

Tease.