By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Xbox 720 or Playstation 4 will debut next year, says Activision

MB1025 said:
I love how people continue to say Sony will over take Microsoft in WW sales with no evidence to back that up. Everyone just assumes sale numbers will continue the way they are for some reason.

The evidence that the PS3 will pass the 360 is that the PS3 sells more per year on average. (About 11.3M for the PS3 vs about 10M for the 360 per year on average).

Around the Network
DanneSandin said:
If Sony and Microsoft is launching new systems next year (which they should do) they need the gamez. We all know that games sell systems, and as it's looking right now we can't count on S&M's BIGGEST franchises to make it to launch. I'm pretty sure that SOME system seller will be there, but I don't think we'll be seeing the Big Guns until 2014. And with Wii U having a years head start S&M better have something else to lure gamers besides games to their consoles. And I don't think it'll be much better graphics than Wii U.

S&M could be in trouble if they release new systems next year, and they'll be in trouble if they DON'T release new systems next year... They better have a killer USP with their new consoles.

I don't think it's beyond the realms of possibility for Gran Turismo, Uncharted & Killzone to be there for PS4's launch if late next year.  God of War would be the only 'huge' franchise that would be a no-show.

If early 2014, I'd definitely expect all three of those to be there.  Add in the fact that Sony seem to try to debut a new franchise or two with their home consoles (i.e. Resistance; Motorstorm), and that apparently the 'launch window' extends a good while after the console launches, I'd reckon they should be covered.

Î always predicted Xbox8 2013, Ps4 2014 at the earliest.

What?! I can't hear you over all this awsome! - Pyrrhon (Kid Icarus:Uprising)

Final Ultimate Legendary Earth Power Super Max Justice Future Miracle Dream Beautiful Galaxy Big Bang Little Bang Sunrise Starlight Infinite Fabulous Totally Final Wonderful Arrow...FIRE! - Wonder-Red (The Wonderful101)

Kresnik said:
DanneSandin said:
If Sony and Microsoft is launching new systems next year (which they should do) they need the gamez. We all know that games sell systems, and as it's looking right now we can't count on S&M's BIGGEST franchises to make it to launch. I'm pretty sure that SOME system seller will be there, but I don't think we'll be seeing the Big Guns until 2014. And with Wii U having a years head start S&M better have something else to lure gamers besides games to their consoles. And I don't think it'll be much better graphics than Wii U.

S&M could be in trouble if they release new systems next year, and they'll be in trouble if they DON'T release new systems next year... They better have a killer USP with their new consoles.

I don't think it's beyond the realms of possibility for Gran Turismo, Uncharted & Killzone to be there for PS4's launch if late next year.  God of War would be the only 'huge' franchise that would be a no-show.

If early 2014, I'd definitely expect all three of those to be there.  Add in the fact that Sony seem to try to debut a new franchise or two with their home consoles (i.e. Resistance; Motorstorm), and that apparently the 'launch window' extends a good while after the console launches, I'd reckon they should be covered.

I'm not too familiar with what games Sony will be able to muster for the launch od PS4, so I trust you. If this is the case it's shaping up to be a pretty solid launch line up!! And it's a good thing they won't have GoW coming out that same year; too much awesome is overload ;) better save something for 2014!

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

DanneSandin said:
Kresnik said:
DanneSandin said:

I'm not too familiar with what games Sony will be able to muster for the launch od PS4, so I trust you. If this is the case it's shaping up to be a pretty solid launch line up!! And it's a good thing they won't have GoW coming out that same year; too much awesome is overload ;) better save something for 2014!

Sony has been holding back on Uncharted, InFamous and Killzone 4 since their launch cycles are for 2013-2014 period.

Around the Network
S.T.A.G.E. said:
DanneSandin said:

Sony has been holding back on Uncharted, InFamous and Killzone 4 since their launch cycles are for 2013-2014 period.

I haven't played InFamous at all, and I'm no expert, but wouldn't it make more sense to release each of those games in separate years? Or at least a few months apart?

And as for Killzone, I don't think we'll see that game intil 2014 at the earliest...

DanneSandin said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
DanneSandin said:

I haven't played InFamous at all, and I'm no expert, but wouldn't it make more sense to release each of those games in separate years? Or at least a few months apart?

And as for Killzone, I don't think we'll see that game intil 2014 at the earliest...

Killzone needs a longer, more robust storyline and deeper online play. It could be really great. Well if you use Microsofts strategy, release few exclusives each year, but Sony makes many so they have multiple to release on a two year time frame. Sony said because of sales they will be focusing on the stronger titles and cutting back on the wasteful exclusive spending. Makes sense to me. Sony should release three hot exclusives per year on a two-three year developmental scale.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
DanneSandin said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
DanneSandin said:

Killzone needs a longer, more robust storyline and deeper online play. It could be really great. Well if you use Microsofts strategy, release few exclusives each year, but Sony makes many so they have multiple to release on a two year time frame. Sony said because of sales they will be focusing on the stronger titles and cutting back on the wasteful exclusive spending. Makes sense to me. Sony should release three hot exclusives per year on a two-three year developmental scale.

Sounds like a good plan! as long as you can fill the months inbetween with 3rd party games it's a sound strategy

DanneSandin said:

I'm actually expecting the next Killzone before any of the others.  If we guess at a November launch for PS4, a new Killzone will have had 2 years 9 months in development.  It's enough.  The only hurdle would of course be the new architecture, but that's a hurdle all the first party needs to overcome (and it seems at least from rumours that the new console is going to be more 'traditional' to develop for).

Comparatively, Sucker Punch would only have had 2 years 5 months to make a new Infamous (or new IP) and Naughty Dog would only have had 2 years to make a new Uncharted.  But ND is much the bigger studio and could borrow staff from The Last of Us team once that's finished, too, which is why I expect it to be possible.

Polyphony would have had 3 years to work on Gran Turismo 6, but I'm sure you're aware what they're like.  At the very least I'd expect GT6 prologue at or close to launch from them.

With all this said, I'm not personally expecting PS4 until early 2014.   Which gives all these studios another 3 or so months of development time, plus longer for some if they want to space out the releases which I'm sure isn't a bad idea. 

DanneSandin said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
DanneSandin said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
DanneSandin said:

Sounds like a good plan! as long as you can fill the months inbetween with 3rd party games it's a sound strategy

Sony seems to like the first quarter a lot while Microsoft seems to own the fourth quarter. I think Sony needs to work on a killer app that will be able to take on Microsoft in the month of November/December. Summer is a must to have games come out as well because kids are out of school. They need to drop the spring timeline, its one of the lowest points of the year.