By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Xbox 720 or Playstation 4 will debut next year, says Activision

What's the rush? PS3/ Xbox 360 still seems relevant in gaming and newish to me.

Xbox One, PS4 and Switch (+ Many Retro Consoles)

'When the people are being beaten with a stick, they are not much happier if it is called the people's stick'- Mikhail Bakunin

Prediction: Switch will sell better than Wii U Lifetime Sales by Jan 1st 2018

Around the Network
Kresnik said:
DanneSandin said:

I haven't played InFamous at all, and I'm no expert, but wouldn't it make more sense to release each of those games in separate years? Or at least a few months apart?

And as for Killzone, I don't think we'll see that game intil 2014 at the earliest...

I'm actually expecting the next Killzone before any of the others.  If we guess at a November launch for PS4, a new Killzone will have had 2 years 9 months in development.  It's enough.  The only hurdle would of course be the new architecture, but that's a hurdle all the first party needs to overcome (and it seems at least from rumours that the new console is going to be more 'traditional' to develop for).

Comparatively, Sucker Punch would only have had 2 years 5 months to make a new Infamous (or new IP) and Naughty Dog would only have had 2 years to make a new Uncharted.  But ND is much the bigger studio and could borrow staff from The Last of Us team once that's finished, too, which is why I expect it to be possible.

Polyphony would have had 3 years to work on Gran Turismo 6, but I'm sure you're aware what they're like.  At the very least I'd expect GT6 prologue at or close to launch from them.

With all this said, I'm not personally expecting PS4 until early 2014.   Which gives all these studios another 3 or so months of development time, plus longer for some if they want to space out the releases which I'm sure isn't a bad idea. 

If PS4 launches in Q3-4 in 2014 it better be the best console ever! Or else Sony is d0000med. But isn't KillZone being developed for Vita and is set to release spring 2013? Releasing another KillZone the same year wouldn't be too smart imo - unless it features some connectivity between Vita and PS4.

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
DanneSandin said:

Sounds like a good plan! as long as you can fill the months inbetween with 3rd party games it's a sound strategy

Sony seems to like the first quarter a lot while Microsoft seems to own the fourth quarter. I think Sony needs to work on a killer app that will be able to take on Microsoft in the month of November/December. Summer is a must to have games come out as well because kids are out of school. They need to drop the spring timeline, its one of the lowest points of the year.

If they only would make a console together with Nintendo!! Super Smash All-stars!!

Alby_da_Wolf said:
VGKing said:
Alby_da_Wolf said:

PS3 had a bad start not because it was last, but because it was last and still too early for Sony's plans.
Being last having planned it, instead, isn't bad. BTW Sony needs to focus on PSV next year.
OTOH XB360 is the oldest of current gen, and despite doing very good for its age, it wll need a successor earlier, so if the rumour is true, I think it's about XB720.

No, if anything Xbox 720 is in the best position to be the last to launch(and be successful).

Xbox 360 has been #1 for 22 months straight in America, it doesn't "need a successor earlier". Age is just a number and like Microsoft has said, the Xbox 360 is truly defying gravity. Microsoft can afford to launch last....Sony can't.

America =/= World. But it's too early to tell, we must still wait and see how things go in Xmas season for PS3, XB360 and the new Wii U, then how things go after Xmas. If then neither XB360 nor PS3 will be in such a position to need a successor sooner than the other, then MS will be in a stronger position and Sony won't be able to do anything about it, except fighting at its best, but without the wide range of choices MS can afford. If after Xmas PS3 will be considerably stronger, then the situation will be more balanced. But anyway the game is played worldwide, if only America mattered, then Sony should have long surrendered.

@S.T.A.G.E.: relying mostly on marketing and a pair of huge exclusive IP's works quite well for MS, this is undeniable, but it allows competitors to take the lead back outside of MS huge marketing campaigns.

America is the most important/biggest market for home consoles. 

Doesn't matter how PS3 sells this holiday in America. Plans are already set in motion. 360 already has a much higher install base in America. That gives Microsoft the advantage over Sony. Of course Europe and Japan are extremely important as well but Sony is currently leading over there so there isn't too much to worry about over there.

DanneSandin said:
If Sony and Microsoft is launching new systems next year (which they should do) they need the gamez. We all know that games sell systems, and as it's looking right now we can't count on S&M's BIGGEST franchises to make it to launch. I'm pretty sure that SOME system seller will be there, but I don't think we'll be seeing the Big Guns until 2014. And with Wii U having a years head start S&M better have something else to lure gamers besides games to their consoles. And I don't think it'll be much better graphics than Wii U.

S&M could be in trouble if they release new systems next year, and they'll be in trouble if they DON'T release new systems next year... They better have a killer USP with their new consoles.

Oh, they will. That is guaranteed.

Around the Network
DanneSandin said:

But isn't KillZone being developed for Vita and is set to release spring 2013? Releasing another KillZone the same year wouldn't be too smart imo - unless it features some connectivity between Vita and PS4.

It's pretty similar to NSMB 2 for 3DS and NSMB U for Wii-U this year.  While it remains to be seen what impact that has had on Mario sales, I wouldn't necessarily say that one portable and one home console version of a franchise in a year is necessarily a bad thing.

VGKing said:
DanneSandin said:
If Sony and Microsoft is launching new systems next year (which they should do) they need the gamez. We all know that games sell systems, and as it's looking right now we can't count on S&M's BIGGEST franchises to make it to launch. I'm pretty sure that SOME system seller will be there, but I don't think we'll be seeing the Big Guns until 2014. And with Wii U having a years head start S&M better have something else to lure gamers besides games to their consoles. And I don't think it'll be much better graphics than Wii U.

S&M could be in trouble if they release new systems next year, and they'll be in trouble if they DON'T release new systems next year... They better have a killer USP with their new consoles.

What? They will release new console or have killer USP's? I'm not talking games when refering to USP...

DanneSandin said:
VGKing said:
DanneSandin said:

What? They will release new console or have killer USP's? I'm not talking games when refering to USP...

IT's guaranteed that PS4 and 720 will be much more powerful than the Wii U.

WTF is a USP?

VGKing said:
DanneSandin said:
VGKing said:
DanneSandin said:

WTF is a USP?

Unique Selling Point. What Motion Control was to Wii.

Well, I guess we have to agree to disagree regarding the potential power how PS720; I don't think BOTH will be much more powerful than Wii U.

DanneSandin said:
VGKing said:
DanneSandin said:
VGKing said:
DanneSandin said:

WTF is a USP?

Unique Selling Point. What Motion Control was to Wii.

Well, I guess we have to agree to disagree regarding the potential power how PS720; I don't think BOTH will be much more powerful than Wii U.

Looking back on what Cliffy B had to say about the consoles, Microsoft and Sony's graphics will be a vast shift from this gens graphics to being on par with this gens PC. Thats exactly how it was last gen, which is why PC devs even remotely shifted their interests to investing in consoles.