By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Can All Stars sell MILLIONS of copies?

Tagged games:

JoeTheBro said:
JWeinCom said:
JoeTheBro said:
JWeinCom said:
Stuff

Response to stuff

Yeah my numbers are grossly inflated and quite frankly random. The 9 reasons are all things that will contribute to sales, just not that much. However I would like to respond to two of the things you said.

6. No it really is getting almost universal appraisal. Some don't like it, some hate it, but a vast majority find the combat and super system stellar. This is a hard point to prove/ disprove though.

8. I should have explained better, I'm sorry. The game does not nerf in real time during a match. What is happening is Superbot looks at all the data and determines who the best players are online and who they are playing as. They can see how many supers and kills are achieved and then say on average character a kills 50 times a match while character b kills 5 times a match. They nerf character a and release an update that automatically gets installed when an online match is started (or something like that). Basically tiers are calculated and then ever so slightly the characters are adjusted to balance out the system. There is also a combo ending code that makes infinite combos impossible so a metaknight type character can't exist.

6.  That's not the impression I've been getting.  Here are some things I've seen.

http://stickskills.com/2012/10/21/playstation-all-stars-battle-royale-beta-impressions/

http://www.latinospost.com/articles/6041/20121025/playstation-stars-battle-royale-review-roundup-critics.htm

Not everyone is loving it, and I've seen few people are calling it stellar.  The impressions I've seen range between mildly negative or mildly positive, with some more extreme people. 

8.  Ok, that makes more sense but here's a couple of points to that.

a) Knowing a character is broken doesn't necessarily make fixing it easy.  Patches take time, and even with patches, it can be tough to balance fighters.

b) A constantly shifting metagame isn't necessarily good for a fighting community.  When there are huge balance issues, they need to be fixed, but constant changes make it hard for a metagame to develop.

c) Having a combo ending system would not do anything to prevent a Metaknight like character.  Metaknight does not have any infinite combos or anything of the sort.  What makes him good is a combination of range, mobility options, and speed.

I have no desire to argue reviews but those are filled with failure. Play the game for more than just a few matches and you'll realize how stupid their complaints with fighting are. It is problematic because the beta has only a quick tutorial so many people are calling it quits before understanding how to play. Like for example in one video review I watched they didn't know you can be killed while preforming a super. Reviewers mostly suck at their job lol

Some complaints were silly but alot of them were on the mark.  But, whatever the reason, the bottom line is that those people didn't like the beta, and if you look in any forum (including this very topic!!!) you'll find other people who didn't like it.  You can't just say that the game is earning universal praise and then dismiss anyone who doesn't like it.

Around the Network
JWeinCom said:
JoeTheBro said:
JWeinCom said:
JoeTheBro said:
JWeinCom said:
Stuff

Response to stuff

Yeah my numbers are grossly inflated and quite frankly random. The 9 reasons are all things that will contribute to sales, just not that much. However I would like to respond to two of the things you said.

6. No it really is getting almost universal appraisal. Some don't like it, some hate it, but a vast majority find the combat and super system stellar. This is a hard point to prove/ disprove though.

8. I should have explained better, I'm sorry. The game does not nerf in real time during a match. What is happening is Superbot looks at all the data and determines who the best players are online and who they are playing as. They can see how many supers and kills are achieved and then say on average character a kills 50 times a match while character b kills 5 times a match. They nerf character a and release an update that automatically gets installed when an online match is started (or something like that). Basically tiers are calculated and then ever so slightly the characters are adjusted to balance out the system. There is also a combo ending code that makes infinite combos impossible so a metaknight type character can't exist.

6.  That's not the impression I've been getting.  Here are some things I've seen.

http://stickskills.com/2012/10/21/playstation-all-stars-battle-royale-beta-impressions/

http://www.latinospost.com/articles/6041/20121025/playstation-stars-battle-royale-review-roundup-critics.htm

Not everyone is loving it, and I've seen few people are calling it stellar.  The impressions I've seen range between mildly negative or mildly positive, with some more extreme people. 

8.  Ok, that makes more sense but here's a couple of points to that.

a) Knowing a character is broken doesn't necessarily make fixing it easy.  Patches take time, and even with patches, it can be tough to balance fighters.

b) A constantly shifting metagame isn't necessarily good for a fighting community.  When there are huge balance issues, they need to be fixed, but constant changes make it hard for a metagame to develop.

c) Having a combo ending system would not do anything to prevent a Metaknight like character.  Metaknight does not have any infinite combos or anything of the sort.  What makes him good is a combination of range, mobility options, and speed.

I have no desire to argue reviews but those are filled with failure. Play the game for more than just a few matches and you'll realize how stupid their complaints with fighting are. It is problematic because the beta has only a quick tutorial so many people are calling it quits before understanding how to play. Like for example in one video review I watched they didn't know you can be killed while preforming a super. Reviewers mostly suck at their job lol

Some complaints were silly but alot of them were on the mark.  But, whatever the reason, the bottom line is that those people didn't like the beta, and if you look in any forum (including this very topic!!!) you'll find other people who didn't like it.  You can't just say that the game is earning universal praise and then dismiss anyone who doesn't like it.

But if you don't like it there is obviously something wrong with you! A person who doesn't like it obviously does not have a valid opinion.

On a serious note look again at this thread. 6 people have directly stated they loved the beta, it's fantastic, etc. while only two people said it was not that great (with one of them being rol). 6 to 1 is really good.

Nobody can predict the future but damn after playing the beta I think Sony has a winner with PS All Stars hopefully it becomes a new successful IP.

I think it will be like LBP. Weak start but extremely long legs.

Maybe once the price is slashed to ribbons. Of course, Sony would have to make up any lost budget by pushing in a butt-load of DLC.

Around the Network
JoeTheBro said:

But if you don't like it there is obviously something wrong with you! A person who doesn't like it obviously does not have a valid opinion.

On a serious note look again at this thread. 6 people have directly stated they loved the beta, it's fantastic, etc. while only two people said it was not that great (with one of them being rol). 6 to 1 is really good.

6-3 including me, but regardless, the sampling method leaves a bit to be desired :)

I think somewhere around 2 million is possible as long as it has decent reviews

JWeinCom said:
JoeTheBro said:

6-3 including me, but regardless, the sampling method leaves a bit to be desired :)

Hahaha this is the first time you are expressing you thought the beta was bad. Your post suggested a 7.5-8.5 which is mediocre. Anyway now I'm intrigued! Why didn't you like it and I want specifics. Now that I know you didn't enjoy it personally I have a much better understanding of why you are thinking reviews are bad.

it is very addicting so I guess it will sell great, because of great reviews. I don't care about reviews but sadly most people do. Most positives reviews are gonna be from 8/10-9.5/10; and a few will be 7/10. and the low reviews are gonna be 5/10. I can not imagine the game getting less than a 5 really, because the gameplay in the Beta is already stellar, so, in the complete game we will get a more tuned gameplay, more characters, story mode, different online modes, and a free VITA version if you buy the PS3 version.

The people who will rate it 5/10 are gonna be those that want some hits for their site (like maybe destructoid and kotaku), and those nintendo fanboys screaming that this game is a clone of smash. I bet that the metacritic user score will be low because of nintendo fanatics.

I think it will break 1m lifetime, but not go over 2m. It doesn't have the cache of Nintendo's timeless characters and millions of established fans.