By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS3 experiences biggest hack yet.

VGKing said:
It really doesn't matter this late in the generation. Sony shouldn't take it too seriously. Not many people hack their consoles. It's a difficult process for most.

So what consoles can be easily hacked ? Certainly not the 360 since flashing drives or doing a JTAG is just as much work.

Like I already said. Most people will either buy hacked consoles or send their own console to someone who will do it for them (for a price).

It looks like it's only easy on Wii right now and PS3 back then when the first custom firmware was released and you just needed to download certain software and put them on your PS3.

The only things that's for sure is that this won't affect PS3 sales, since it's not possible on current super slims.

Around the Network

walsufnir said:

do you have a link to the statement with the ps3-fixes?

and please, lv0 and metldr are *not* the same.

again:

"Q: So what can we do with the lv0 signing key?
 A: In short, we can use it to decrypt lv0, modify it to patch out any lv0 security checks, and resign it with a legitimate key that bootldr will accept. With the chain of trust broken and lv0 no longer enforcing the security of the modules that it controls, we can then start modifying lv1ldr, lv2ldr, appldr, isoldr, etc to patch out their security checks and add CFW functionality."

this could not be done with metldr since last week.

but anyway, i'm out of here. the scene doesn't care about this thread or forum or anything, they will just go on, no matter who understands their work or not, no matter who says it is useless or not.

I edited my post... anyway that not changed anything... you can do more thing now but JUST IN OLD MODELS like you could with  metldr.

And yeap... that can be done with metldr in old models... the CFW 4.20 was release almost one month ago without the lv0 hack.

Please read your link...

Any PS3 shipped after July, 2011 or better with the default firmware > 3.60... is non hackable... neither l0 or metldr can do that... nothing changed... the CFW works just with PS3 with default/factory firmware below 3.60.

A better explanation because I can't do better .

None of these developments carry any significance for us with unhackable PS3's at the moment [ethomaz: nothing changed].

Our consoles [ethomaz: the new models shipped with fw > 3.60 after July, 2011] come with a new bootldr (bootldr2) and new lv0 (lv0.2) which are more secure and have different keys than the previous bootldr and lv0 revisions.

Our lv0 keys have not been leaked/released, so there is no CFW insight for us [ethomaz: for now is impossible to hack the new models].

This lv0 keys just work with PS3 that works the metldr hack.

For all the porpouse the new hack have the same result than the old hack.

Piracy seems pointless nowadays if online isn't possible with hacked systems.

Why would I risk getting banned when I can afford all games I want to play? It's not like I need to own every game on the system.

ethomaz said:

A better explanation because I can't do better .

None of these developments carry any significance for us with unhackable PS3's at the moment [ethomaz: nothing changed].

Our consoles [ethomaz: the new models shipped with fw > 3.60 after July, 2011] come with a new bootldr (bootldr2) and new lv0 (lv0.2) which are more secure and have different keys than the previous bootldr and lv0 revisions.

Our lv0 keys have not been leaked/released, so there is no CFW insight for us [ethomaz: for now is impossible to hack the new models].

This lv0 keys just work with PS3 that works the metldr hack.

For all the porpouse the new hack have the same result than the old hack.

ah, taking a post from a non-dev from ps3-hax to prove your statements? i'd rather trust the guy from my source...

Around the Network

so....this doesn't effect about 98% of PS3 owners....

Still trying to hack consoles? Honestly I would start focusing on the newer consoles.

Gilgamesh said:

Still means nothing to the average consumer.

Sony did one hell of a job with this system other companies should take pointers I just wonder how many millions they saved from it.

Considering the PS3 has a lower attach rate than the X360? Probably nothing

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Check out my hype threads: Cyberpunk, and The Witcher 3!

Guys. Calm down. Your hackable PS3 will need to be replaced in a few years anyways.

walsufnir said:
ah, taking a post from a non-dev from ps3-hax to prove your statements? i'd rather trust the guy from my source...

lol your source said the samething... unbelievable.

You really read what I quoted to you from your source???

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4848562

More source? http://www.h-online.com/security/news/item/Alleged-final-hack-of-PlayStation-3-surfaces-1736849.html

"The only way for Sony to protect against this is with a newer hardware revision; apparently Slim models of the PS3 from CECH-30xx onwards and the new Super Slim model have a LV0.2 keys that check a second signature. This means that these newer models are unlikely to be vulnerable in the manner described above."

The new hack just work for the same models than the old hack... pointless.

And now? Touché.