By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS3 experiences biggest hack yet.

So only those few thousand PS3's that are already running CFW but having to operate off-line will use this hack?

It's significant in that they've penetrated the deepest layer of the OS, but it's tiny in terms of net effect.

In terms of the normal PS3 owner the big deal would be if their account information or credit card infor could be stolen. As that's not happening here everyone can hit the ignore button unless you want to run CFW.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

Around the Network

I hope people wake up to the fact that Sony sucks! They steal ideas, company other people, and when push comes to shove fail really hard. I know of people who lost tons of money from there bank account that will never get it back from buying something off the PSN story. They called Sony and told them. They did not give a crap about them at all.

My old PS3 is running 3.55 CFW. Here in my country there is no way of renting games and only popular games are available to purchase.

ethomaz said:
walsufnir said:
ah, taking a post from a non-dev from ps3-hax to prove your statements? i'd rather trust the guy from my source...

lol your source said the samething... unbelievable.

You really read what I quoted to you from your source???

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4848562

More source? http://www.h-online.com/security/news/item/Alleged-final-hack-of-PlayStation-3-surfaces-1736849.html

"The only way for Sony to protect against this is with a newer hardware revision; apparently Slim models of the PS3 from CECH-30xx onwards and the new Super Slim model have a LV0.2 keys that check a second signature. This means that these newer models are unlikely to be vulnerable in the manner described above."

The new hack just work for the same models than the old hack... pointless.

And now? Touché.

my source? please quote *exactly* from my source where lv0.2 is mentioned *in the article*. i am also wondering why this is not mentioned at the ps3-dev-wiki. i don't say that newer slims are hackable but neither my linked article states it ( i already quoted the author mentioning that sony can alter the hardware) nor the ps3-dev-wiki has information about it. and there is no touché when looking at your previous posts of "proofs". but before it's getting personal - the scene will continue working on the hack which brings a smile to my face.

walsufnir said:

my source? please quote *exactly* from my source where lv0.2 is mentioned *in the article*. i am also wondering why this is not mentioned at the ps3-dev-wiki. i don't say that newer slims are hackable but neither my linked article states it ( i already quoted the author mentioning that sony can alter the hardware) nor the ps3-dev-wiki has information about it. and there is no touché when looking at your previous posts of "proofs". but before it's getting personal - the scene will continue working on the hack which brings a smile to my face.

Dude your link says "only PS3 able to hack can be hacked"... the PS3 able to hack = PS3 without default/factory fw > 3.60... models before July, 2011... models before the model Slim CECH-30* (there are some CECH-20* not able too).

If you can't read your own link what can I do you?

Anyway the lv0.2 is cited in the ps3-dev-wiki two times "NEW consoles only: metadata lv0.2 (signed with nonrandomfail key) is used to check lv0 integrity" and "not in this diagram: the added .2 metadata"... the diagrams are dated and only shows old models.

first understand how the hack works, if you need to ask the author of your link ... then we can talk .

Edit - Here for you: http://wololo.net/2012/10/25/clarifying-the-confusion-on-the-ps3-development/comment-page-1/#comment-228895

Around the Network

hey it took you few days to notice koweniski. I saw it few days ago on eurogamer

I guess you are very worried. What firmware you have?

zarx said:
Gilgamesh said:

Still means nothing to the average consumer.

Sony did one hell of a job with this system other companies should take pointers I just wonder how many millions they saved from it.

Considering the PS3 has a lower attach rate than the X360? Probably nothing

Heres some numbers for the X360  and the Wii has a much worst attach rate then both and look at these pirated numbers.

Xbox 360 Game Downloads on BitTorrent in 2009
as of December 27, 2009
#gamedownloadsreleased
torrentfreak.com
1 Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (970,000) (Nov. 2009)
2 Street Fighter IV (840,000) (July. 2009)
3 Prototype (810,000) (Feb. 2009)
4 Dirt 2 (790,000) (Sept. 2009)
5 UFC 2009 Undisputed (720,000) (Mar. 2009)

Top Xbox 360 Pirated Games:

1. Dante’s Inferno - 1,280,000
  2. Alan Wake - 1,140,000
  3. Red Dead Redemption - 1.060,000
  4. Halo Reach - 990,000
  5. Call of Duty: Black Ops - 930,000
Xbox 360 Game Downloads on BitTorrent in 2011
as of December 30, 2011
#gameest. downloadsreleased
torrentfreak.com
1 Gears of War 3 (890,000) (Sep. 2011)
2 Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 (830,000) (Nov. 2011)
3 Battlefield 3 (760,000) (Oct. 2011)
4 Forza Motorsport 4 (720,000) (Oct. 2011)
5 Kinect Sports: Season Two (690,000) (Oct. 2011)

Now the Wii

Wii Games:
1 Super Mario Galaxy 2 (1,470,000) 
2 Wii Party (1,220,000)
3 Donkey Kong Country Returns (920,000) 
4 Kirbys Epic Yarn (880,000) 
5 Red Steel 2 (850,000) 

Super Mario Galaxy 2 (1,280,000)
Mario Sports Mix (1,090,000)
Xenoblade Chronicles (950,000)
Lego Pirates of the Caribbean (870,000)
FIFA 12 (860,000)

ethomaz said:

walsufnir said:

Dude your link says "only PS3 able to hack can be hacked"... the PS3 able to hack = PS3 without default/factory fw > 3.60... models before July, 2011... models before the model Slim CECH-30* (there are some CECH-20* not able too).

If you can't read your own link what can I do you?

Anyway the lv0.2 is cited in the ps3-dev-wiki "NEW consoles only: metadata lv0.2 (signed with nonrandomfail key) is used to check lv0 integrity".

first understand how the hack works, if you need to ask the author of your link ... then we can talk .

Edit - Here for you: http://wololo.net/2012/10/25/clarifying-the-confusion-on-the-ps3-development/comment-page-1/#comment-228895

you can do nothing but read carfully. i wrote intentionally "in the article" - not talking about comments related to the article which *is* a difference. but, as the wiki-search does not reveal anything to lv0.2 but i don't care anymore. when mentioning something it is usual to put links to proove your statements. and yes, i *do* understand how the hack works but this discussion is by now on a different state. as i said i don't want to make it personal as you do so i think it's better to quit the discussion.

but really: when YOU quote anything make sure it is also on the link -  "only PS3 able to hack can be hacked" is nowhere found in my link.

have fun ;)

walsufnir said:

you can do nothing but read carfully. i wrote intentionally "in the article" - not talking about comments related to the article which *is* a difference. but, as the wiki-search does not reveal anything to lv0.2 but i don't care anymore. and yes, i *do* understand how the hack works but this discussion is by now on a different state. as i said i don't want to make it personal as you do so i think it's better to quit the discussion.

but really: when YOU quote anything make sure it is also on the link -  "only PS3 able to hack can be hacked" is nowhere found in my link.

have fun ;)

Last line of the devwiki "not in this diagram: the added .2 metadata", the wiki diagrans are dated just show old models (http://www.ps3devwiki.com/wiki/Boot_Order)... and the Wiki talk about the lv0.2 (superficially).

And here (all the red models can't be hacked because the lv0.2 - only models down-gradeable to 3.55 can be hacked): http://www.ps3devwiki.com/wiki/SKU_Models

Quote from your link: "If you are on anything higher than 3.55 it doesn’t mean you are out, there are ways to downgrade if your model is one thats able, otherwise you are just not able to do anything right now until more dev work is done. So sit tight and hold on. Again stay tuned, more info and news will be definitely coming." - that's means  "only PS3 able to hack can be hacked" that's not a quote that's my words.

I know better than you about this hack... sorry.

ethomaz said:

walsufnir said:

you can do nothing but read carfully. i wrote intentionally "in the article" - not talking about comments related to the article which *is* a difference. but, as the wiki-search does not reveal anything to lv0.2 but i don't care anymore. and yes, i *do* understand how the hack works but this discussion is by now on a different state. as i said i don't want to make it personal as you do so i think it's better to quit the discussion.

have fun ;)

Last line of the devwiki "not in this diagram: the added .2 metadata", the wiki diagrans are dated just show old models (http://www.ps3devwiki.com/wiki/Boot_Order)... and the Wiki talk about the lv0.2 (superficially).

And here (all the red models can't be hacked because the lv0.2 - only models down-gradeable to 3.55 can be hacked): http://www.ps3devwiki.com/wiki/SKU_Models

Quote from your link: "If you are on anything higher than 3.55 it doesn’t mean you are out, there are ways to downgrade if your model is one thats able, otherwise you are just not able to do anything right now until more dev work is done. So sit tight and hold on. Again stay tuned, more info and news will be definitely coming." - that's means  "only PS3 able to hack can be hacked" that's not a quote that's my words.

I'm know better than you about this hack... sorry.

sure you do - you have shown your proficient technical knowledge in other threads, so yes... :) but really: i already said that the *article* indeed states that sony can alter the hardware *in future*. but i think by now you understand the difference between citing/quoting and interpreting.

have a nice day!

edit: thanks for the link - yesterday there was no talk about lv0.2, it was added just today ;)