By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS3 experiences biggest hack yet.

walsufnir said:

so, to clarify things (hopefully) what is possible or not, which ps3 you should have and so on, read this:

http://wololo.net/2012/10/25/clarifying-the-confusion-on-the-ps3-development/

this guy knows more about the hack than we all together know, so just listen to him and take it for sure.

That's confirm what I said here.

Nothing changed... the old models (even with new firmware) can be hacked and the new models can't be.

The L0 key just help to decrypt the games and the new release firmware to create the new custom firmware.

The PS3 hacking status not changed.

Around the Network

I love how they put ps3 biggest hack blah blah. It has nothing to do with anyone getting hacked but the ps3 tself. Sony will just put out an automatic update that will fix it but this is nothing new. Every since the original playstation this has happened no big suprise. Sony is the only one who should care!

ethomaz said:
walsufnir said:

so, to clarify things (hopefully) what is possible or not, which ps3 you should have and so on, read this:

http://wololo.net/2012/10/25/clarifying-the-confusion-on-the-ps3-development/

this guy knows more about the hack than we all together know, so just listen to him and take it for sure.

That's confirm what I said here.

Nothing changed... the old models (even with new firmware) can be hacked and the new models can't be.

The L0 key just help to decrypt the games and the new release firmware to create the new custom firmware.

The PS3 hacking status not changed.

of course it has changed - l0 is the very first thing in the chain of trust in ps3 security. and now the keys are official. the outcome of this is yet to be seen, of course. and l0 is not just to decrypt games, it is essential for the ps3 boot sequence.

jayson1 said:
I love how they put ps3 biggest hack blah blah. It has nothing to do with anyone getting hacked but the ps3 tself. Sony will just put out an automatic update that will fix it but this is nothing new. Every since the original playstation this has happened no big suprise. Sony is the only one who should care!

sony can release what they want - old ps3's will be open by now because sony can't change the hardware already sold. and yes, it is the biggest hack to ps3 by now, no matter what your interpretation of it is.

walsufnir said:
of course it has changed - l0 is the very first thing in the chain of trust in ps3 security. and now the keys are official. the outcome of this is yet to be seen, of course. and l0 is not just to decrypt games, it is essential for the ps3 boot sequence.

That's already happened... the actual hack (before L0 release) is te same thing.

Around the Network

It is not a psn hack so it doesn't matter. Only previously hacked ps3s can make use of this. Useless hack

ethomaz said:
walsufnir said:

That's already happened... the actual hack (before L0 release) is te same thing.

eh, did you read a different text? metldr and lv0 are indeed different things.

http://www.ps3devwiki.com/wiki/Boot_Order

and, as my link shows (but i quote it again):

"Q: What about newer consoles?
 A: So there’s the real problem. Remember how we said bootldr and metldr are fixed in hardware? Sony can create new hardware, and update those modules in the process."

so reading this: by now the ps3 is done but it can be changed by sony in future models.

At this point in its lifetime. I don't see this as a big issue anymore. I'm surprised it took this long for something this major to happen.

walsufnir said:

A: So there’s the real problem. Remember how we said bootldr and metldr are fixed in hardware? Sony can create new hardware, and update those modules in the process."

so reading this: by now the ps3 is done but it can be changed by sony in future models.

No. Every PS3 shipped after July, 2011 is already fixed for any hack (bootldr and metldr)... they need a new hack to these models.

The scenario for metldr and lv0 are the same... nothing changed. The L1 hack just work in these consoles that works the metldr hack.

From your link...

"If you are on anything higher than 3.55 it doesn’t mean you are out, there are ways to downgrade if your model is one thats able, otherwise you are just not able to do anything right now until more dev work is done. So sit tight and hold on. Again stay tuned, more info and news will be definitely coming."

First bold: PS3 models before the CECH-30* can be hacked (some CECH-20* can't be hacked too)... all PS3 models shipped before July, 2011 is ready for any hack.

Second bold:  Needs a new hack to work with new models.

The l1 and metldr are similiar because just works in the same models... for now nothing changed... if I have a PS3 able to hack it continue able to hack... if I have not able to hack it continue not able to hack.

ethomaz said:

walsufnir said: 

No. Every PS3 shipped after July, 2011 is already fixed for any hack (bootldr and metldr)... they need a new hack to these models.

The scenario for metldr and lv0 are the same... nothing changed. The L1 hack just work in these consoles that works the metldr hack.

do you have a link to the statement with the ps3-fixes?

and please, lv0 and metldr are *not* the same.

again:

"Q: So what can we do with the lv0 signing key?
 A: In short, we can use it to decrypt lv0, modify it to patch out any lv0 security checks, and resign it with a legitimate key that bootldr will accept. With the chain of trust broken and lv0 no longer enforcing the security of the modules that it controls, we can then start modifying lv1ldr, lv2ldr, appldr, isoldr, etc to patch out their security checks and add CFW functionality."

this could not be done with metldr since last week.

but anyway, i'm out of here. the scene doesn't care about this thread or forum or anything, they will just go on, no matter who understands their work or not, no matter who says it is useless or not.