By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - US Senate candidate: Pregnancy from rape can be ‘something that God intended to happen’

This nut job should be thrown into a pit and buried.

Around the Network
badgenome said:
Alejandro Jodorowsky's dad raped his mom, so this is true.

i hate you for making me agree in this case!

“It appeared that there had even been demonstrations to thank Big Brother for raising the chocolate ration to twenty grams a week. And only yesterday, he reflected, it had been announced that the ration was to be reduced to twenty grams a week. Was it possible that they could swallow that, after only twenty-four hours? Yes, they swallowed it.”

- George Orwell, ‘1984’

if that's true then you have one more reason not to belive in something like a god. but really: what do you expect from religious extremists like him? they are just like those people who planned and executed 9/11. blinded by faith, they would just do anything to defend the only reason that makes their life worth like living. god.

0815user said:

if that's true then you have one more reason not to belive in something like a god. but really: what do you expect from religious extremists like him? they are just like those people who planned and executed 9/11. blinded by faith, they would just do anything to defend the only reason that makes their life worth like living. god.

If it's true that god sometimes intends for people to rape people it's another reason to not believe he exists?

I don't know.  If god itends for people to rape other people, i'd say that's a reason to believe in him... because he's there... doing it.

Whether you want to like him or not... is another story but....

As for what the guy said... though it sounds controversial... it really isn't.  If you believe in full predesitnation and "God does things in mysterious ways" and all that... you pretty much have to believe that.

It's just the kind of thing most people wouldn't say unless directly asked.

He is just another ignorant, misogynistic, religious nut job.

Around the Network
Nsanity said:
This nut job should be thrown into a pit and buried.

Tolerance.

I understand him and I even think I agree with him (I haven't put that much thought into the details of abortion issues in recent years). It's a difficult case.

It obviously starts with the issue on how much value you put on a human embryo versus the value of a woman's will, integrity and well-being. I put quite a lot of value into the human embryo and its right to live.

God probably didn't intend that rape to happen, but we also know that God probably did not intend to let that human embryo to be aborted.

Sometimes we just have to deal with a difficult situation in life that can seem very perverse and impossible. Unwanted pregnancy is that kind of situation.

We have become so used to that we can control everything in life, but we can't. So obviously, to go back to the times when all abortion was prohibited it would need time for people to get used to it.

Some people are born extremely handicapped which can cause bizarre situations and difficult moral decisions. Like some cases of Siamese twins where you have to separate them knowing that one of them will die. But it happens and we have to deal with it.

And I am sure some women deny their rape pregnancy long enough to cross the line where a legal abortion is possible, and they end up giving birth to that unwanted child. And it works out somehow. The child is probably adopted and the woman lives on, her life goes on.We just never hear about these cases.

Slimebeast said:

I understand him and I even think I agree with him (I haven't put that much thought into the details of abortion issues in recent years). It's a difficult case.

It obviously starts with the issue on how much value you put on a human embryo versus the value of a woman's will, integrity and well-being. I put quite a lot of value into the human embryo and its right to live.

God probably didn't intend that rape to happen, but we also know that God probably did not intend to let that human embryo to be aborted.

Sometimes we just have to deal with a difficult situation in life that can seem very perverse and impossible. Unwanted pregnancy is that kind of situation.

We have become so used to that we can control everything in life, but we can't. So obviously, to go back to the times when all abortion was prohibited it would need time for people to get used to it.

Some people are born extremely handicapped which can cause bizarre situations and difficult moral decisions. Like some cases of Siamese twins where you have to separate them knowing that one of them will die. But it happens and we have to deal with it.

And I am sure some women deny their rape pregnancy long enough to cross the line where a legal abortion is possible, and they end up giving birth to that unwanted child. And it works out somehow. The child is probably adopted and the woman lives on, her life goes on.We just never hear about these cases.

The point is that a woman who has suffered a violent rape, and has to deal with the physical and emotional pain of it for the rest of her life, doesn't want to hear a politician talk about how it was God's plan. It's a horrible thing to say, and a deeply misguided thing to believe.

This isn't a right to life vs. right to choose conversation. It's a jackass politician telling rape victims it was meant to be.

Veknoid_Outcast said:
Slimebeast said:

The point is that a woman who has suffered a violent rape, and has to deal with the physical and emotional pain of it for the rest of her life, doesn't want to hear a politician talk about how it was God's plan. It's a horrible thing to say, and a deeply misguided thing to believe.

This isn't a right to life vs. right to choose conversation. It's a jackass politician telling rape victims it was meant to be.

It's a necessary discussion for anyone who is sincerely pro-life. Lots of topics are sensitive but they still need to be discussed sometimes. Obviously with love and respect in mind, but this politician did just so! He focused on the life, not the rape. And he gave the topic a religious context for those who are religious. Obviously if you are an atheist you can ignore whether this guy thinks something was God's will or not.

It's not a misguided belief to believe that God works through both good and bad events in people's life if it all serves a purpose in the end.

And I am sure you have heard time and time again very ordinary people tell their stories about a difficult past event that they survived, saying that even if they could, they wouldn't change the past, because it teached them something valuable or made them a better person.

So this kind of thinking is not uncommon or unnormal.

It's all about God's will people!