By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The problem of hyping unreleased games

Tagged games:

If it's a grand theft auto game, hype is always exceptable. We always get a quality game there.

Xbox One, PS4 and Switch (+ Many Retro Consoles)

'When the people are being beaten with a stick, they are not much happier if it is called the people's stick'- Mikhail Bakunin

Prediction: Switch will sell better than Wii U Lifetime Sales by Jan 1st 2018

Around the Network

That is because of the sony fans who have no idea what to talk about so they start hyping up games and even call games hidden gems after a few reviews.. That PSN swan game comes to mind.

Whether you believe the hype or not you won't know if you like a game till you play it. I loved the first Fable, thought Fable 2 was ok, but I think Fable 3 was boring and terrible, even though the metacritic score is in the 90's. Hype is started by the game companies to promote sales, fanboys hype things just to help out the sales of their fave console so they can claim their console is winning. But you don't know if you like something till it's just you and the game, in your room, one on one...

sales2099 said:
Jay520 said:
I don't see the problem with hyping games. There's always an element of mystery when hyping unreleased games. Are you suggesting that people only hype games that are already released? That seems like a strange mentality, to say the least. When unknown games are hyped, sometimes the games are great and sometimes they end up being mediocre. Sure, you could fixate on the mediocre games and say hyping is wrong, but for every mediocre game, there's a great game that makes it worth it. Of course it's risky and mysterious to hype unknown games, but that's what makes hyping so exciting; you have no idea how the game will turn out, but you're anxious for the release nonetheless.

Now this is coming from me but an example that comes to mind is PASBR. When it was first announced it was hyped AAA (90+) by the fans, and thats cool. Now, we have sufficient evidence that while the game will be good, it isnt 90+ material. Yet the hype train for some hasnt diminished and wont until the meta score stares at them in the face. Then itll be like there wasnt any 90+ hype at all to cover it up.

"but for every mediocre game, there's a great game that makes it worth it"

This is totally untrue. Shovelware and "meh" games vastly outnumber the gems in gaming every gen.

You're going to see what you want to see. PABR is probably one of the least hyped games ever. A hyped game would be something like The Last of Us or Halo 4. I can count on one hand the number of people who have expressed a lot of interest in this game. In fact I've seen maybe 2-3 PABR threads within this past week. And for the few threads that do exist, they rarely reach levels to justify calling them excessive. - that's very little hype. I don't even think there's an official PABR thread. Yes, a FEW people are really hyped for PABR, but they are the exception an any reasonable person can see that.

Moreover, how many people have said this game will receive a 90 on Metacritic? Look at this thread here:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=147495

Only three people said the game will achieve a 90 on Metacritic, and one of them is a Nintendo fan. This is clear evidence that you're only seeing what you want to see. You're just searching for the smallest of cases to try to justify your agenda. You're only seeing what you want to see, as with a lot of people in here.

As for the last statement, you know exactly what I said in context. I was saying for every hyped game that bombs, there's a hyped game that's good. I'm not talking about games in general.

I'm not really against the practice. In fact, more often then not it seems to be owners of other consoles that get the most annoyed or up in arms about a hype campaign rolling into overdrive.

Then you have the hype being downplayed by supporters if the title is poorly recieved, or used as a form of justification if the title is showered with praise. From the detractors the hype is exaggerated to the nth degree and used to mudsling at every opportunity, or the hype is simply forgotten if the title does well.

Around the Network
richardhutnik said:
sethnintendo said:

Do Sony fans hype a lot of games? Yes and some of the hype probably isn't warranted. However, I have seen them hype games that deserved it on a few occasions. I am thinking of Valkyria Chronicles mainly. Too bad turn based strategy games are more of a niche so the title never exploded in sales that it deserved.  At least it got past 1m.

There is a problem with people hyping games who are console partisans.  The hyping is a hopefest that they have some sort of "killer app" that will draw people to their console of choice.  The XBox 360 was pretty bad with this also.  I remember one Jonah Falcon posting on Usenet regarding the 360 and about every single release being all that.  Out came Viva Pinata being hyped.   Boogie Bunnies got hyped also.  And others also.  It got to be pretty horrible.  There is also some rants by selnor on here also (graphic hype threads get old).  Valk might be a good game, but I personally bought it on hype and like a guilt campaign of needing to support it, and it just wasn't my thing (did get traded in.  Sorry, I am not a fan of tactical combat).

This hyping makes people make bad decisions, and people regret the entire thing.

Of course, campaigns that make a company actually release something in a region it may never be released in, is good.  The getting Nintendo to actually release RPGs it was sitting on, is a good thing.  But hype for titles to be ammo in console wars is not.

If a person makes a bad decision with THEIR money based on OTHER people's satisfaction, then that's that person's fault for not doing enough research on the game.

Jay520 said:

If a person makes a bad decision with THEIR money based on OTHER people's satisfaction, then that's that person's fault for not doing enough research on the game.

Looking up people's opinions is a form of research imo. It's not totally that person's fault if other people were misleading them.

miz1q2w3e said:
Jay520 said:

Looking up people's opinions is a form of research imo. It's not totally that person's fault if other people were misleading them.

If a major component of your research is the level of hype from the internet, then its safe to say your research method of flawed.

What happens if the hype cant reach high enough.

I have that problem with Halo 4. Theres so much hype now. But its not enough. I am thirsting for more hype, but just cant get no more hype.

Microsoft I'll sell every other gaming thing apart from a controller and an Xbox ten give you the funds that makes just to get Halo 4 now. And then play online early. For the next 2 years.

Dallinor said:

I'm not really against the practice. In fact, more often then not it seems to be owners of other consoles that get the most annoyed or up in arms about a hype campaign rolling into overdrive.

Then you have the hype being downplayed by supporters if the title is poorly recieved, or used as a form of justification if the title is showered with praise. From the detractors the hype is exaggerated to the nth degree and used to mudsling at every opportunity, or the hype is simply forgotten if the title does well.

Quoted for truth!

“It appeared that there had even been demonstrations to thank Big Brother for raising the chocolate ration to twenty grams a week. And only yesterday, he reflected, it had been announced that the ration was to be reduced to twenty grams a week. Was it possible that they could swallow that, after only twenty-four hours? Yes, they swallowed it.”

- George Orwell, ‘1984’