By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The problem of hyping unreleased games

Tagged games:

Roma said:
Sony fans are like vampires, everything they feel is heightened by 10

Thats what I was saying in that other thread about which company gets the most hate. Its like any negative news Sony gets is upped to the 10th power in severity.

You gotta love those internet badasses that win arguments they're in danger of losing by using privilege to silence opposition.

This will be my last post on this biased domain because the privileged egomaniacs that head it are insufferable.

Barozi, you are an immature douche. You lost an argument and jumped to using insults. Then you got mad, because I called you out on it and created your own, on the spot, infractions(that were just projecting what I called you out on back at me even though it didn't fit) out of thin air to ban my account and save your ego.

[IMG]http://i618.photobucket.com/albums/tt266/Terrordales/Late%20Bay%20Stuff/002-Become-an-internet-forum-moderator-thegoodjokes.jpg[/IMG]

Torrilian, if you are really a writer then I can understand why game journalism has fallen to such lows.

Mr Khan, I always thought of you as one of the better moderators on here but you still banned me once for

Radishhead, if you have a problem with people expressing an opinion about not like what you love, then you are a sad, sad man.

Its one thing to speak against a moderater who is properlly moderating or to go against a warning(things I rarely saw), but another to be banned for not accepting their condescending opinions as fact in a normal, open conversation. I now see that there was really no point in following the rules, because even if you don't break them, they will just make something up at convenience then label it as breaking a rule and ban you for that. This speaks for every ban I've gotten really. Its hard to follow unwritten rules.

No permaban this account because I won't be coming back here. Note: That is a command, not a request. Dealing with manchildren of this caliber just is not worth the hassle when you actually have a life. Have fun writing your last insult or getting another mod to do it for you, to let you save face(which is more likely what will happen). I won't be reading it. I would delete this worthless forum account myself, but this site doesn't give the option for it.

It was nice having a few good and "intelligent" conversations on here with people that didn't take every bit of news they didn't like as a personal attack or an affront to their beloved company/console(Spurgeon, curl, you guys were cool.) Also, interacting with the clean cut fanboys that make up gaming journalism these day first hand has been the most educational of all. Now I know why gaming journalism is so terrible. The only qualificatoin most gaming journalists have is that they play some games and have a site to post their opinions on.

Strangest thing about this site is that even the top level trolled forumers. I would say the bias is unreal, but this actually isn't the first time I've seen such a thing. Generally, anyplace where tech is discussed, you will have hyperbiased moderation that will inact fascist law against opinion that are to far to the left of their ideals of supremecy.

May Sony burn in the hell it made for itself.(I don't really care about Sony or what happens to them one way or the other, but I figure I might as well actually troll once before going.)

Also, don't misunderstand. It is not my intent to throw dirt and run. Its just that all of the mods have shown complete inability to reason and will not exept any opinion contrary to their sovereign word likely typical fascist egomaniacs who have gotten a taste of power. I would gladly tell this directly to each and everyone of your face and laugh while you scramble to come with a rebuke but we all know that you would just ban me and get the last word in after the fact, so there can never be and actual discussion.

And to all the Sony/Microsoft fanboys who view me as the bane of their existent for consistently posting news and facts that aren't to their liking(Pezus, Kyliegod, Andrespetmonkey, Selnor, and the rest), rejoice for I am gone. Now you can troll the company you hate so much with complete freedom from being called out on it...assuming the mods don't beat you to it. lol.

Oh, and for all the PS3 owners, heres a link to the last PS3 jailbreak CFW so you can play Sony games for what they are truley worth. Nothing!
http://psx-scene.com/forums/content/e3-releases-cfw-4-30-2678/

Also, heres a link to the PS3 Skyrim so you can see just how much shit the PS3 is.
http://thepiratebay.se/torrent/7068692/The_Elder_Scrolls_V_Skyrim_-_PS3_%5BUSA%5D_%5B__TB_Patch___1.02_Update

:)

Around the Network
ishiki said:
selnor telling people they have special colored glasses on.

cute.

I am waiting to see what kind of colored glasses selnor says I have.  I have a feeling it was a, "But you are that!" type of kneejerk reaction.  Maybe it might of been that it looked like I was targeting the XBox side for this issue, but I figure since I am usually more on Sony's case, I would give examples from that, just for the sake of balance.

Jay520 said:
sales2099 said:
Jay520 said:
I don't see the problem with hyping games. There's always an element of mystery when hyping unreleased games. Are you suggesting that people only hype games that are already released? That seems like a strange mentality, to say the least. When unknown games are hyped, sometimes the games are great and sometimes they end up being mediocre. Sure, you could fixate on the mediocre games and say hyping is wrong, but for every mediocre game, there's a great game that makes it worth it. Of course it's risky and mysterious to hype unknown games, but that's what makes hyping so exciting; you have no idea how the game will turn out, but you're anxious for the release nonetheless.

Now this is coming from me but an example that comes to mind is PASBR. When it was first announced it was hyped AAA (90+) by the fans, and thats cool. Now, we have sufficient evidence that while the game will be good, it isnt 90+ material. Yet the hype train for some hasnt diminished and wont until the meta score stares at them in the face. Then itll be like there wasnt any 90+ hype at all to cover it up.

"but for every mediocre game, there's a great game that makes it worth it"

This is totally untrue. Shovelware and "meh" games vastly outnumber the gems in gaming every gen.

You're going to see what you want to see. PABR is probably one of the least hyped games ever. A hyped game would be something like The Last of Us or Halo 4. I can count on one hand the number of people who have expressed a lot of interest in this game. In fact I've seen maybe 2-3 PABR threads within this past week. And for the few threads that do exist, they rarely reach levels to justify calling them excessive. - that's very little hype. I don't even think there's an official PABR thread. Yes, a FEW people are really hyped for PABR, but they are the exception an any reasonable person can see that.

Moreover, how many people have said this game will receive a 90 on Metacritic? Look at this thread here:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=147495

Only three people said the game will achieve a 90 on Metacritic, and one of them is a Nintendo fan. This is clear evidence that you're only seeing what you want to see. You're just searching for the smallest of cases to try to justify your agenda. You're only seeing what you want to see, as with a lot of people in here.

As for the last statement, you know exactly what I said in context. I was saying for every hyped game that bombs, there's a hyped game that's good. I'm not talking about games in general.

Perhaps your right to a degree but you admit you dont venture out much beyond this forum. I do....so I could say by pleading ignorance you too are just seeing what you want to see, as this is considered a more "tame" gaming forum.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

VGKing said:
Isn't this game also on the PSP? Why would it be a killer app for the Vita? I NEVER heard anyone say that and I was pretty active around the forums at that time. Do you have proof to backup your claims?

Denile is not just a river in Egypt ya know. Besides, the OP claims these hype threads were over a year ago.....lost forever in the depths of forums everywhere :P

Someone here should really take the initiative to save these hype threads and if the reviews/sales are below expectations and when people claim the hype never existed in the first place.....bam! :)

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

What is PABR? Sorry just not on as much.

On hype I don't have a problem with hype tbh I just have a problem with the way hype is used on boards by people, more often then not on forums it's more a one up for someone's platform of choice then anything else. I remember on another board the chaos spawned by a thread started to hype up Haze and declared it a Halo killer, that thread certainly went down a spectacular path.