By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The problem of hyping unreleased games

Tagged games:

Jay520 said:
richardhutnik said:
Jay520 said:
richardhutnik said:
sethnintendo said:

Do Sony fans hype a lot of games? Yes and some of the hype probably isn't warranted. However, I have seen them hype games that deserved it on a few occasions. I am thinking of Valkyria Chronicles mainly. Too bad turn based strategy games are more of a niche so the title never exploded in sales that it deserved.  At least it got past 1m.

There is a problem with people hyping games who are console partisans.  The hyping is a hopefest that they have some sort of "killer app" that will draw people to their console of choice.  The XBox 360 was pretty bad with this also.  I remember one Jonah Falcon posting on Usenet regarding the 360 and about every single release being all that.  Out came Viva Pinata being hyped.   Boogie Bunnies got hyped also.  And others also.  It got to be pretty horrible.  There is also some rants by selnor on here also (graphic hype threads get old).  Valk might be a good game, but I personally bought it on hype and like a guilt campaign of needing to support it, and it just wasn't my thing (did get traded in.  Sorry, I am not a fan of tactical combat).

This hyping makes people make bad decisions, and people regret the entire thing.

Of course, campaigns that make a company actually release something in a region it may never be released in, is good.  The getting Nintendo to actually release RPGs it was sitting on, is a good thing.  But hype for titles to be ammo in console wars is not.

If a person makes a bad decision with THEIR money based on OTHER people's satisfaction, then that's that person's fault for not doing enough research on the game.

People look towards others for opinions, and the reason is to end up trying to affect console buying patterns.  You try to make buzz for as much as possible, so people think the console of choice ends up being a relgious choice, whatever is in the best interest of others be damned.  The point here is the focus on how people spend their time, and its impact. 

Again, you shouldnt base a significant amount of your money on hype. There's reviews, videos, and you should also consider what people say who disliked the game. When hype is your primary measure, then of course you're setting yourself up for failure.

This thread is focused on the hyping.  I was trying to point out how it is a waste of time, and possible negative effects of hyping.  I was saying that, at the core, it is religious devotion in the area of videogames, usually driven by fanaticism towards a platform and console maker.  And there is little, if anything, that comes out good for it.  What people need to do to not get hurt by the hype is another issue.

Around the Network
selnor said:
richardhutnik said:
selnor said:
What happens if the hype cant reach high enough.

I have that problem with Halo 4. Theres so much hype now. But its not enough. I am thirsting for more hype, but just cant get no more hype.

Microsoft I'll sell every other gaming thing apart from a controller and an Xbox ten give you the funds that makes just to get Halo 4 now. And then play online early. For the next 2 years.

Bluntly speaking, I think you would be far better off trying to find something to put your heart into more, than a Microsoft product.  Halo 4 isn't all that and a bag of chips.  Other FPS do things that Halo doesn't.  Microsoft has release schedules for reasons, and logic behind them.   A game should stand on its own merits, with hype to get the word out.  Beyond this, you are trying to convert people religiously.  As for myself, I did get some interest in Halo 4, but Microsoft fails to deliver bots, so it is a pass for me there.  Sorry, I don't play on line.  Borderlands 2 is enough for me.  Heck, why not play something else until Halo 4 is ready?

????????????????????????????????????????????

Woe woe woe.

Obviously VGC is not a great place anymore.

Next week I'll secretly try Te Last Of Us in here. Watch how many flock and go gooey.

Mate its got bugger all to do with Microsofts bit of plastic. Its friggin Halo. I love Halo. In fact ......................

Whats the point.

This thread is about the negative affects of hype.  And you came out and said MORE is needed.  I was calling you on this.  You have a partisan console agenda in how you post.  You may like Halo, but you show this repeated trend for hyping about every single Microsoft IP, from Alan Wake to Forza.  You have a counterproductive agenda.  And yes, watch the buzz behind The Last of Us go on here to.  It will be more hype, justified or not.

Torillian said:
Lostplanet22 said:
That is because of the sony fans who have no idea what to talk about so they start hyping up games and even call games hidden gems after a few reviews.. That PSN swan game comes to mind.

God doamn those Sony fans for being excited for a beautiful and unique looking PSN title attempting to keep the ThatGameCompany mantal going on PSN.  Out of curiosity could you point me towards a preview that showed that Sony fans should not have been hyped for The Unfinished Swan?  Because I believe that was the concept, that people were hyping things beyond what they should based on impressions, but I don't remember any worried previews about that title.  Yeah there was a thread calling it a hidden gem after it got the first few 9's as reviews, but that just means he was wrong later.  If a downloadable title gets 9's for its first few reviews I'm sure anyone would call it a hidden gem, and then sometimes they'd be right and sometimes they'd be wrong.  

Sjeez previews for plenty of games sound good even L.A.I.R./Haze previews were positive.  Thing is almost every sony exclusive gets hyped for just being a exclusive...  look how Forza horizon almost got no hype and even was predicted to be just an better than average game  (high 70's low 80's metacritic predicitions) and it end up way better than expected;...Now try to find that for a sony game :).

by hype,do we mean having a thread for a game,that seems kind of acceptable on a gaming site even exclusive ones,i mean the war ended a while a go,

did we have hype about Journey,that would have been worth it,i loved that game

i can't imagine people getting that excited by army corps or whatever this game was

Above & Beyond

Lostplanet22 said:
Torillian said:
Lostplanet22 said:
That is because of the sony fans who have no idea what to talk about so they start hyping up games and even call games hidden gems after a few reviews.. That PSN swan game comes to mind.

God doamn those Sony fans for being excited for a beautiful and unique looking PSN title attempting to keep the ThatGameCompany mantal going on PSN.  Out of curiosity could you point me towards a preview that showed that Sony fans should not have been hyped for The Unfinished Swan?  Because I believe that was the concept, that people were hyping things beyond what they should based on impressions, but I don't remember any worried previews about that title.  Yeah there was a thread calling it a hidden gem after it got the first few 9's as reviews, but that just means he was wrong later.  If a downloadable title gets 9's for its first few reviews I'm sure anyone would call it a hidden gem, and then sometimes they'd be right and sometimes they'd be wrong.  

Sjeez previews for plenty of games sound good even L.A.I.R./Haze previews were positive.  Thing is almost every sony exclusive gets hyped for just being a exclusive...  look how Forza horizon almost got no hype and even was predicted to be just an better than average game  (high 70's low 80's metacritic predicitions) and it end up way better than expected;...Now try to find that for a sony game :).

Demon's Souls, next to no hype before it released because the first videos looked like a mess, and turned out to be amazing.  

Around the Network
Torillian said:
Lostplanet22 said:
Torillian said:
Lostplanet22 said:

Demon's Souls, next to no hype before it released because the first videos looked like a mess, and turned out to be amazing.  

That game had some followers from the start not that many I grant you that but I remember people following and laughing with some horrible animations.

zuvuyeay said:
by hype,do we mean having a thread for a game,that seems kind of acceptable on a gaming site even exclusive ones,i mean the war ended a while a go,

did we have hype about Journey,that would have been worth it,i loved that game

i can't imagine people getting that excited by army corps or whatever this game was

There might be some common sense here after all.

PS One/2/p/3slim/Vita owner. I survived the Apocalyps3/Collaps3 and all I got was this lousy signature.

Xbox One: What are you doing Dave?

Lostplanet22 said:

That game had some followers from the start not that many I grant you that but I remember people following and laughing with some horrible animations.

Oh come now, you're telling me that people laughing at horrible animations is enough to call a game overhyped?  You may have a point that it happens less with Sony titles, but obviously there are still hidden gems and there are good reasons to think something might be awesome when the first few reviews say exactly that.  So what made you think that the Swan game was going to be a 7.8 meta after the first few reviews were 9's?  At that point I'd call your prediction more unlikely than someone saying it looked like another hidden gem.  

Jay520 said:
miz1q2w3e said:
Jay520 said:
If a person makes a bad decision with THEIR money based on OTHER people's satisfaction, then that's that person's fault for not doing enough research on the game.

Looking up people's opinions is a form of research imo. It's not totally that person's fault if other people were misleading them.

If a major component of your research is the level of hype from the internet, then its safe to say your research method of flawed.

Not hype, you said "people's satisfaction" (i.e. their opinion on the game after they played it). I stand by my original reply, I do think sampling people's opinions is a good way of researching a game.

I agree with you, basing one's purchases off of hype alone isn't smart.

miz1q2w3e said:

Not hype, you said "people's satisfaction" (i.e. their opinion on the game after they played it). I stand by my original reply, I do think sampling people's opinions is a good way of researching a game.

I agree with you, basing one's purchases off of hype alone isn't smart.

In the context of this thread and Richard's post, I thought it was clear that by "people's satisfaction," I meant hype. Fair enough though.