By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The problem of hyping unreleased games

Tagged games:

The problem is nothing matches its hype like Halo.

:)

Around the Network
Jay520 said:
I don't see the problem with hyping games. There's always an element of mystery when hyping unreleased games. Are you suggesting that people only hype games that are already released? That seems like a strange mentality, to say the least. When unknown games are hyped, sometimes the games are great and sometimes they end up being mediocre. Sure, you could fixate on the mediocre games and say hyping is wrong, but for every mediocre game, there's a great game that makes it worth it. Of course it's risky and mysterious to hype unknown games, but that's what makes hyping so exciting; you have no idea how the game will turn out, but you're anxious for the release nonetheless.

You can gauge appropraite hype based on impressions, previews, and beta tests. But if you know nothing about a game and hype it thats fine....but when previews are displaying concerns about certain things, you should hype it down accordingly to say a 80s or 70s meta prediction.

I personally hyped Fable Journey as a low 70's game. I was a bit off sure, but I gave a reasonable estimate based on facts available. I hyped Forza Horizon as a 80s game because its a spinoff....not 90+ like it was a mainline Forza. And I was right. Thats the idea not going "OMG is a exclusive sent to us from God himself AAA!!!!"

Now this is coming from me but an example that comes to mind is PASBR. When it was first announced it was hyped AAA (90+) by the fans, and thats cool. Now, we have sufficient evidence that while the game will be good, it isnt 90+ material. Yet the hype train for some hasnt diminished and wont until the meta score stares at them in the face. Then itll be like there wasnt any 90+ hype at all to cover it up.

This pattern goes with all wrongly hyped games across all consoles, this just happens to be a recent example that Ive seen.

"but for every mediocre game, there's a great game that makes it worth it"

This is totally untrue. Shovelware and "meh" games vastly outnumber the gems in gaming every gen.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Sony more than others? Sony has the most variety in exclusive games and in gamer types, so probably, in a way, though Nintendo is right beside them, obviously. The hype for ZombieU, for example, is way, way beyond normal for another zombie game and Kid Icarus: Uprising was hyped to hell and back. I remember the vicious reaction when an writer who played a demo to TGS said he didn't like the controls.

Microsoft? What games that aren't from big, established franchises are 360 fans supposed to hype? CoD map packs? They don't really apply to this discussion unless you're also talking about downloadable titles.

pokoko said:
Sony more than others? Sony has the most variety in exclusive games and in gamer types, so probably, in a way, though Nintendo is right beside them, obviously. The hype for ZombieU, for example, is way, way beyond normal for another zombie game and Kid Icarus: Uprising was hyped to hell and back. I remember the vicious reaction when an writer who played a demo to TGS said he didn't like the controls.

Microsoft? What games that aren't from big, established franchises are 360 fans supposed to hype? CoD map packs? They don't really apply to this discussion unless you're also talking about downloadable titles.

Its not so much Sony hypes more then others, but that they overhype everything.

The beauty about 360 fans being a minority on the internet, you dont notice when we hype games, unless offcourse its Halo. In which case, the AAA hype it totally justified. And downloadable games count yes. Were progressive gamers that like games no matter the file size :)

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

pokoko said:

Hyped is based on previews, hands on and other stuff. So far ZombiU have gotten a lot of positive press (aside of some minor control issues I believe), that's where the all the hype for the game comes from. To give an other example, I remember all the hyped about Red Steel (1), but then all the previews and hands on said the game pretty much sucked, so after that all the hyped about the game vanished.

Nintendo and PC gamer

Around the Network
sethnintendo said:

Do Sony fans hype a lot of games? Yes and some of the hype probably isn't warranted. However, I have seen them hype games that deserved it on a few occasions. I am thinking of Valkyria Chronicles mainly. Too bad turn based strategy games are more of a niche so the title never exploded in sales that it deserved.  At least it got past 1m.

There is a problem with people hyping games who are console partisans.  The hyping is a hopefest that they have some sort of "killer app" that will draw people to their console of choice.  The XBox 360 was pretty bad with this also.  I remember one Jonah Falcon posting on Usenet regarding the 360 and about every single release being all that.  Out came Viva Pinata being hyped.   Boogie Bunnies got hyped also.  And others also.  It got to be pretty horrible.  There is also some rants by selnor on here also (graphic hype threads get old).  Valk might be a good game, but I personally bought it on hype and like a guilt campaign of needing to support it, and it just wasn't my thing (did get traded in.  Sorry, I am not a fan of tactical combat).

This hyping makes people make bad decisions, and people regret the entire thing.

Of course, campaigns that make a company actually release something in a region it may never be released in, is good.  The getting Nintendo to actually release RPGs it was sitting on, is a good thing.  But hype for titles to be ammo in console wars is not.

sales2099 said:
pokoko said:

The beauty about 360 fans being a minority on the internet, you dont notice when we hype games, unless offcourse its Halo. In which case, the AAA hype it totally justified. And downloadable games count yes. Were progressive gamers that like games no matter the file size :)

Minority on the internet?  Minority?  Wha ..?

I don't know that I've ever been as shocked by anything anyone has ever said as by this.  I'm sitting here blinking at my monitor.

Ugh, anyway, these "your side is worse than my side" discussions are always the same, always the same people with the same one-sided views.  I'll reduce it down.  Yes, whichever side you're on, the other side has more fanboys, overhypes games more, has worse games, and everything else you can think of.

pokoko said:
sales2099 said:
pokoko said:

Minority on the internet?  Minority?  Wha ..?

I don't know that I've ever been as shocked by anything anyone has ever said as by this.  I'm sitting here blinking at my monitor.

Ugh, anyway, these "your side is worse than my side" discussions are always the same, always the same people with the same one-sided views.  I'll reduce it down.  Yes, whichever side you're on, the other side has more fanboys, overhypes games more, has worse games, and everything else you can think of.

When was the last time you saw a Nintendo fan overhype a game?  Oh wait... perhaps Goldeneye 007 where sales were expect by most to be around 4-7m.  I don't see that many Nintendo fans saying hey this game is about to release you should all get it!  Nintendo releases a game and it sells.  Hype isn't needed for Nintendo games because you will either like it or not.  Most people already have their minds set on if they are going to buy a Nintendo published game before it releases.  You could probably put Conduit in there as well but I never tried to hype that game.  Some FPS shooters (even the CoD downgraded ports) showed that wiimote+nunchuck was a decent control option for FPS though.

sales2099 said:
pokoko said:

you sound more like a nagging mother/wife than a gamer though - "you overhyped again, bad unbehaved Sony fans, here look at my neat approriate progressive level of hype"

Lafiel said:
sales2099 said:

you sound more like a nagging mother/wife than a gamer though - "you overhyped again, bad Sony fans, here look at my neat approriate progressive level of hype"

lol wtf did I just read? XD